Old 06-12-2016, 10:52 PM   #11
I feel your pain. I have a Signature Ultra Light, 8315 BSS with an under mount coupler. I tow it with a Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4 wheel drive, with the hitch mounted half way up the bumper. I have to use a long shank to couple my trailer. It would be much easier if I had a top mount. I have no idea why the make the under mounts. I talked to Rockwood and they said they wouldn't recommend relocating the coupler, nor could they give me a reason for putting the under mounts on some trailers.

tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:54 AM   #12
I had my undermount removed by a weld shop and they welded on a top mount

With the propride hitch I wouldn't be able to lower the tongue enough to get level in some sites so I would have to dig a groove for the hitch head to drop into

After switching to the top mount I have had no issues

missing_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:00 AM   #13
I have the underslung coupler on my windjammer 3001W. I was concerned about the wdh when the dealer put it on, it's a conventional style wdh.These people have been in business and doing this for 30 years though, so I figured they knew what they were doing.

Although it sits low I haven't had any problems.
2012 Windjammer 3001W-Florida Permanent site
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB-summer camping and work
2015.5 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ crew cab Z71 4x4
KingFisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:13 PM   #14
I had hitch problems with my 2012 Windjammer, it just would not release the ball. The dealer even had problems with it. On the dealers dime they had the hitch replaced by a local welding shop. The original hitch was a top mount. Its replacement was a bottom mount. My entire WD had to be adjusted, the trailer towed just fine, but the hitch to the truck was too low for my comfort. I have a pretty beefy F250 and it could dig trenches and it did, I complained to the dealer ( Dodd RV ) and to my surprise they had it replaced once again on their dime . They made it right. In looking at the lot the same make trailer could either have a top or bottom mount hitch. I felt more comfortable with the top mount. I posted on this subject maybe 2 yrs ago along with pics. The low hitch to me could just cause problems. Kudos to the dealer, they made it right and never complained.

Chuck " still in Va "
2012 3065w Windjammer
2012 f250 lariat Crew cab power stroke (of course )
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote