Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2015, 02:46 PM   #1

Maiden Voyage-water leak!

We finally got our "new" 2109s out for a local dry run. We bought our 2104 model in Dec 2103 and had a pretty busy and hectic year so never took it out. This year we are camping a lot!
So I set it up at a local RV park and got it all I winterized and working. Had to figure out which valves did what for the water heater. I think I did it right...it's working!!!
I know I said a dry run, but it has rained very very hard the past two days while we have been getting it all organized on the inside. We found a little water coming in under the left side of the couch from the slide out. It has been pouring rain, so is that what should expect? Has anyone else seen this?
We are trying to figure out some shelving in the bathroom and some coat hooks, etc.
Please reply with any suggestions that we can use! Thanks

Randy

2014 Rockwood 2109s
2008 Dodge Ram 1500, Crewcab, 4.7Ltr, 2WD
2014 Camping Nights = 0
Randy-OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:22 AM   #2

Just got our 2109s a few months ago. Only had it out 3 times so far. Had some pretty good rain the last time but no leaks at all. Did you check the seals around the slide out?
Shinbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:51 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Randy,
I would also first inspect my seals around my slideout as Shinbone suggested. These may need a spritz of slide out lube if they are not flat so that rain can come in around the deal. You might need to replace if badly cracked.

Also, did you have a chance to inspect the roof before you started this year? I am thinking the caulking might need touching up if it had not had that maintenance done in over a year.

I don't know your level of expertise, so here are the details on that ... Get a tall ladder and climb up on roof (It will support your weight). Use a board if you want to (I don't) and step clear of A/C, vents, skylight, etc.

Clear all gutters of any gunk. Inspect all seams, gaskets, and any place that the roof material has been cut or drilled. Check closely around A/C, vents, antennas, sewer vent, and all side seams. Look for any signs of bubbling in the membrane and any tears (damage from tree branches, etc).

I use Dicor 501 Self Leveling or a similar Alpha product for sealing cracks in the existing caulk. Do not use silicone. You shouldn't have to remove the old caulk unless something is really wrong with it.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #4

I agree Triguy that Shinbone has a great point in the slide out seal.

What do I use to lube it up?

The roof looks good and I had the dealer add extra sealant to it before delivery. It has been sitting so I will get up there and inspect.

Thanks guys!

2014 Rockwood 2109s
2014 Camping Nights = 0
Old 04-28-2015, 10:18 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Good to hear about the roof maintenance. I like to get up there 2-4 times a year just to inspect.

As for the seals, I have used both of these: Slide Out Lube & Rubber Seal Conditioner or slideout rubber seal treatment

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 04-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #6

Thanks again!

2014 Rockwood 2109s
2014 Camping Nights = 0
Old 05-01-2015, 04:08 PM   #7

I discovered the reason for the slight water leak. The slide out rubber seal was pinched up a little in the aft side. I did get it straightened out and treat the rubber seals all the way around.

Our first week out was great fun and a real learning adventure.

Thanks for your input.

2014 Rockwood 2109s
2014 Camping Nights = 0
Old 05-01-2015, 05:45 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I love it when it's a simple fix. Have fun camping!

2012 Shamrock 233S

Tags
leak, water, water leak