Old 12-03-2007, 06:19 AM   #1
Managing hitch weight on longer trailer

Good morning,

I have a 2008 2701SS. I have been to the scales twice now as I am a little nutso when it comes to weights. Not that I necessarily need to be, just the engineer coming out in me.

Anyway, I weighed the trailer right off the dealer lot and it was 5200 lbs with 580 lbs hitch weight. That made me happy. I loaded all our gear, added a battery, filled the propane tanks and it weighed in at 5800 lbs and 760 lbs hitch weight. Just missing clothes and food. That was ok as well, but the hitch weight meant no 10 gals of fresh water I normally take for pit stops (my hitch is limited to 750 lbs).

So, I decided to move the heavy gear I had in the front compartment to the rear and side (over axles) compartment. About 75 lbs was removed and put in the far back compartment. About 50 lbs was removed and put in the side compartment. I towed the trailer to storage and could tell the hitch was lighter. Nice thing about this particular trailer is the axles are way back (19' out of 31 ft overall length), so sway stability is not a problem. Problem was I had the WDH set up for the 760 lbs hitch weight and I'd bet a dime on a donut I was at 600 lbs or maybe even less.

So, I ordered a Sherline scale to keep better track of things. I'd like to keep the hitch weight at 700 lbs (+ none or minus a skosh). I was real happy with that weight.

Anyway, so why am I writing this post? Well, long trailers are new to me, as is plentiful outside storage. No issues to report, really, just wanted to share.

tomhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:30 PM   #2
well alrighty then

aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:25 PM   #3
could you post what your axles ratings are and the hitch rating from the factory?

might help some of our readers fully understand your findings. weights and overweights is a very serious topic and i applaude you for knowing your weights and limits plus your desire to balance it out
Living in the Piney Woods of Texas.
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote