Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2015, 05:17 PM   #1

Max Air Vent covers

I just finished replacing 2 roof vents on my Windjammer. They both were very brittle and just crumbled. It was a easy job and did not take very long. After replacing the vents I re installed the max air covers. I am still amazed that the vent covers did not last very long, the max air vent covers were installed when the unit was purchased new, and I thought they would provide protection from the sun. I leave the vents open while traveling could the vibration have caused them to shatter ?. What does everyone else do, if you have max air covers do you travel with the roof vents open or does it really make any difference ?.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:36 PM   #2

Max Air Vent covers

We did not have maxaire covers on our previous unit and had to replace both plastic vent covers due to cracks and one of them broke due to a hail storm after that. Since we were so far away from where we kept it at the time and not wanting to risk any water damage we replaced both of them with metal covers.

We do have maxaire covers on our present Rockwood so it will be interesting to see how the covers hold up.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Klbrown53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:42 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Had max air covers on my sabre for 5 years.
Vents tops were fine when I removed them.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:23 AM   #4
I Break Everything

The Max Airs worked great 8 years on our previous 5th wheel...but I can tell you from experience...they don't like trees.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:09 AM   #5

I have seen MaxAir covers in the Wild-Junk Yards- that are Older than anything posted here for a Long time! They still look New but the units they are on are Green and Gone! Normal use will give Long service! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:48 AM   #6

We have covers "MAX AIR" and travel with all covers DOWN
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:52 PM   #7

I have Maxxair covers on my roof top vents. This is my third RV and have always used them, I keep my vent top covers open most of the time for ventilation. On my current RV, a 2008 Coachmen Concord, I had to replace the vent top covers because they just fell apart when I touched them. I replaced them with new aftermarket ones. The quality of the new covers is 200% better than the factory installed ones. I shouldn't have to replace mine any more.
clarinetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 01:31 PM   #8

MaxAir Covers

Had exactly the same problem as Carinetone on my 8 year old Sunseeker. Found out it's easy to replace the vent covers from inside the RV too. BTW last year we got caught in a hail storm, really dinged up the toad and damaged the rubber roof bad enough to have it replaced and the MAxAirs had no damage. Never leave home without them!
milvet33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:46 AM   #9

I took our Max air vent covers off to clean and noted that my hatch covers were dry rotted and cracked. so replaced them.
gave them a coat of wax before putting on new covers which provide more air flow. Sold my Max air covers for 12$ each within 10 minutes at a flea market the next weekend.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:12 PM   #10

I think while traveling I will keep the covers closed and only have them open while parked. Mine just crumbled when I touched them. They could be getting a great deal of vibration while being towed. May or may not make any difference but it only takes a few minutes to close them.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, vent