Old 05-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #1

mice in trailer

We are fit to be tied. Just last week getting ready to take our new rockwood out for the first time yesterday, we find a couple days ago, that a mouse or mice has made hay in our new camper. Ruined a set of sheets, 2 pillows, 2 throw pillows, an afigan, holes in blanket and towels. So, we replaced all so we could head out yesterday morning. Inflated the air mattress in the sofa for our neice that went with us and listened to air slowly seep out of the mattress last night. Won't even say how ticked we were. We got a patch kit when we purchased the trailer so DH is going to try and patch today. Any suggestions. ....

Old 05-22-2008, 03:12 PM   #2

Click here

Old 05-22-2008, 06:05 PM   #3
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
We've had lots of talk on mice...just search. I was one of the 'victims'.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #4

Try putting some dryer sheets around the camper when you put it away for winter storage. This has always worked well for us. Place them in cabinets and under the sink. I would not place mouse traps inside the camper but when you store it place them underneath on the ground area with some peanut butter for bait. Never use a trap inside because the smell of a dead mouse is horrible. Good luck.

Mike and Donna
South Central Pennsylvania

2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (gas)
2009 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
(Since June 3,
2008)
Mikesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:30 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Quote:
Originally Posted by lierz View Post
We are fit to be tied. Just last week getting ready to take our new rockwood out for the first time yesterday, we find a couple days ago, that a mouse or mice has made hay in our new camper. Ruined a set of sheets, 2 pillows, 2 throw pillows, an afigan, holes in blanket and towels. So, we replaced all so we could head out yesterday morning. Inflated the air mattress in the sofa for our neice that went with us and listened to air slowly seep out of the mattress last night. Won't even say how ticked we were. We got a patch kit when we purchased the trailer so DH is going to try and patch today. Any suggestions. ....
Man that sucks!! as the others have mentioned you'll find lots of discussions about those little critters. However, I noticed you mentioned 'first trip' and 'new'... When did you take delivery of the Trailer?

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #6

We just picked up our trailer Feb. 15, 2008. 8296ss Rockwood ultra lite.
DH did the patch thing over Mem. holiday and it held. Thanks for all the help
Old 06-02-2008, 07:34 PM   #7

We put moth balls in our trailer and use dryer sheets. No mice so far on the inside. Now this year we did find a lot of acorns on the roof near the a/c unit. We had the trailer covered with an adco cover and these little bastards must have climbed up the inside and sat up there all winter eating acorns. There will be mothballs up on the roof this coming fall
Old 06-03-2008, 06:50 AM   #8

Mice can squeeze into small holes, check under your camper for openings like around drain pipes and where the wiring go's into the front of the camper from the battery. Check the under belly for other openings around the edge.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #9
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesr View Post
Try putting some dryer sheets around the camper when you put it away for winter storage. This has always worked well for us. Place them in cabinets and under the sink. I would not place mouse traps inside the camper but when you store it place them underneath on the ground area with some peanut butter for bait. Never use a trap inside because the smell of a dead mouse is horrible. Good luck.
Sorry, I have advice and experience that totally contradicts yours. My experiences with mice taught me 2 things:

1. Mice aren't repelled by dryer sheets. In fact, they nested right in the same drawer with the Bounce dryer sheets. The nest was made from all the chewed off fringe from the fancy throw pillows, and some of the chewed up bedspread.
While they didn't use the dryer sheets for the nest, they did use them to crap on...which proves they aren't repelled by them.

2. It's a lot easier to take a dead stinky mouse out of a trap, than to try to fix all the damage, clean up the horrible smelling pee stains, nests', and bear expenses involved with your new unwanted guests. Not only that...but now you have to trap them anyway.

PS...the only way I could get the pee stains/smell out of the drawers...was to sand them down.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:42 PM   #10

Cat?

Prodigy Brake Control
Reese 800lb Weight Dist Bars
Dual Cam Sway Control
2008 Rockwood 2701ss
Mansfield, MA
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote