Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #1

Mini Lite 1809S vs. 1904

I really like the Mini Lites and am trying to decide between 2 similar floorplans. The major differences I see are:

1809S: center kitchen, length 19'11", weight 3344

1904: corner kitchen, length 20'4", weight 2827

Can any owners (or non-owners) give pros/cons for either floorplan? Also, how is it the 1809S weighs more, when it's shorter (both trailers are the same width and look like they have the same amenities)?

This is our first TT so I appreciate any advice!
Elidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #2

We have the 1809s and love the layout. Just by looking at the picture you posted, it "appears" the 1904 has a larger kitchen counter space and the 1809s has the LARGE storage hutch in the rear. We really like the large storage area as it is a closet with hangers.

If we were going for a larger unit it would be mostly for a bed that is turned lengthways so you could walk around both sides instead of 1 person having to climb over the other... If you can walk partially at the end of the bed in the 1904s, this would be an advantage.

In both units there is the couch in the slideout with folding table. We much prefer this to other units that just have a dedicated dinette. Not sure why the 500lb weight difference but would be curious... If the pictures are close to scale, both TT frames appear the same length (1809s has slightly more exposed outside tongue.

All in all we are happy with the 1809s, but seems they are very close just from the picture. If you have narrowed it down to these 2 TTs, probably be happy with either, esp the one that cost less
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #3

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, FreedomTracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomTracker View Post
If we were going for a larger unit it would be mostly for a bed that is turned lengthways so you could walk around both sides instead of 1 person having to climb over the other... If you can walk partially at the end of the bed in the 1904s, this would be an advantage.
Yes, that whole walkaround bed issue kind of bothers me. There's also the Mini Lite 1905:

It has the Murphy bed (truly queen sized), big bathroom, and you can select a dinette instead of bunks (which we don't need). But the kitchen is smaller!! Still 20'4" long and only 2761#. It's all so confusing!! All I know for sure is I want a sofa and Tuscan cream interior!
Old 05-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
F22

If you haven't already, check out the 2109S. It is similar to the 1809S except has a walk around queen in the front. There are a few other smaller floor plan differences. Kitchen has more counter space plus a flip up extension. Length: 21'6", Dry Weight: 3667. We really like ours.

image upload

Keep in mind, for the models with the front murphy bed, you get that by sacrificing a lot of storage space. Those models do not have the front pass thru storage. I think they may have a tiny bit of storage on each side in the front, but you lose a vast amount of cubic feet of storage. We briefly considered one of the murphy bed models, but dropped it due to lack of storage.
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #5

Hi F22,

Are you saying the "below deck" storage space is less in models with the murphy bed? Why would that be? (excuse my ignorance) I do like the 2109 model, too.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
F22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elidh View Post
Hi F22,

Are you saying the "below deck" storage space is less in models with the murphy bed? Why would that be? (excuse my ignorance) I do like the 2109 model, too.
Yes, way way less. Look at the floorplans posted. The 1809S and 2109S have "Pass Thru Storage". The murphy bed models, look closely, it says "Exterior Storage". The murphy bed takes out the whole center part of what would be the pass thru storage. You probably lose something like 80% of that storage compared to the non-murphy bed models. If that's not an issue for you, you're good to go with murphy bed models. It was with us so we passed on the murphy bed models.

Good luck!
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22 View Post
Yes, way way less. Look at the floorplans posted. The 1809S and 2109S have "Pass Thru Storage". The murphy bed models, look closely, it says "Exterior Storage". The murphy bed takes out the whole center part of what would be the pass thru storage. You probably lose something like 80% of that storage compared to the non-murphy bed models. If that's not an issue for you, you're good to go with murphy bed models. It was with us so we passed on the murphy bed models.

Good luck!
Hmmmm,......interesting. There must be some of the counterweight mechanism hidden underneath. I will definitely go this week to see a 1905 in person.

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #8
Site Team

There seem to be a little more counter top room in the kitchen as noted. The entry to the bed is more open as well. Not sure how viewing the TV would really work out in either unit. I didn't see a microwave listed.

1809S
There's a built in hutch & TV shelf.

2109S
Looks nice too.

When you go to look at units try to visual where your stuff (especially kitchen items) will go and how you will be able to use it. (Dishes, pots & pans, clothes, towels, etc...)

I was flip-flopping between two plans but the little extra countertop space in one unit was my deciding factor. It won over the walk-around bed style. Not a big deal for me since I RV solo.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
There seem to be a little more counter top room in the kitchen as noted. The entry to the bed is more open as well. Not sure how viewing the TV would really work out in either unit. I didn't see a microwave listed.

1809S
There's a built in hutch & TV shelf.

2109S
Looks nice too.

When you go to look at units try to visual where your stuff (especially kitchen items) will go and how you will be able to use it. (Dishes, pots & pans, clothes, towels, etc...)

I was flip-flopping between two plans but the little extra countertop space in one unit was my deciding factor. It won over the walk-around bed style. Not a big deal for me since I RV solo.

Thanks for the analysis, Terier. This is so exciting!!
Old 05-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #10

We have the Murphy bed in our 2304s and love it. It gives you a lot of room in the unit when the bed is up. Some of the storage space lost by not having the pass thru storage is gained back by storage space that is available under the couch.
jwuertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
Site Team

When you do start looking at actual RVs it can be helpful to take notes of pros & cons as well as pictures.

After paying for my RV I took another look at it and found it wasn't the same as I remembered. Good thing I had taken a quick video of it with my BlackBerry because I got it mixed up with the other model that I was flip-flopping between.

Have fun searching and looking!

Old 05-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #12

We were basically trying to decide between the same series of campers. After a couple months of frequent visits to the dealer, we ended up with the 2109s and are completely satisfied with our choice. Pass through storage is huge, and we no longer have anything laid out on the floor during transit and storage. We have spent the last 2 weekends in it and have not found any "wish it had" yet. I would just spend a little bit of time in each one and figure out what works best. Just don't cut yourself short because a local dealer doesn't have a specific model to look at. With a little research, you should be able to get inside all of the different models and find what works best.
Smitty75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #13

Just don't cut yourself short because a local dealer doesn't have a specific model to look at.

No problem there! We have one "local" dealer (about 1/2 hour away). In the past year and a half I have been all over Ohio, as well as made trips to PA and Indiana, to see various models. Tomorrow - another trip to Indiana.

I appreciate the input!
Old 05-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #14

In choosing a TT (we purchased a 2109s last year), one of the considerations was where the entry door was located. We did not want to enter the trailer adjacent to the bed. (I'm and early riser and the wife, not so much, so it's nice to have the door further away.) Consequently the 1809s would be our choice, if we were you. We did go for the 2109s as we like the lengthways configuration of the bed; i.e. not having to crawl over the other person to get to bed. If you can accomodate the extra length and weight, I'd go with the 2109s. We sure like ours!
mkillora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkillora View Post
In choosing a TT (we purchased a 2109s last year), one of the considerations was where the entry door was located. We did not want to enter the trailer adjacent to the bed. (I'm and early riser and the wife, not so much, so it's nice to have the door further away.) Consequently the 1809s would be our choice, if we were you. We did go for the 2109s as we like the lengthways configuration of the bed; i.e. not having to crawl over the other person to get to bed. If you can accomodate the extra length and weight, I'd go with the 2109s. We sure like ours!
That rear entry door is certainly something to think about, as my husband likes to sleep later than I do.

I went to RVW yesterday to see the 1809S they have for sale. There was a 1904 on the lot, too (a customer had ordered it), so I got to compare the two models in person. The sofa and slide are longer on the 1809s, which may account for the heavier weight in that model. Also, the big cabinet/hutch at the rear of the 1809s adds weight, too, I'm sure, but I like the added storage space. I can see a problem: if one person's at the 1904's corner kitchen sink and the other person's in the bathroom - the person in the kitchen could get clobbered when the bathroom door is opened . We don't have to have a walkaround bed, and since we want to stay at about 20' or less trailer length, these 2 models are fine.

I also went to a dealer in Indiana to look at a Mini Lite 1905. That model is cute but: small kitchen, small kitchen sink and, as F22 pointed out, (due to the Murphy bed) there is virtually no storage underneath, just two tiny compartments underneath that are, honestly, not much bigger than shoeboxes. So that model's out.

So the decision: 1809s. Now to try to get a price that we and the salesman are happy with!
Old 05-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #16

Good luck with your decision. As an 1809s owner, I look Frwd to hearing how things work out...
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #17
Site Team

"So the decision: 1809s. Now to try to get a price that we and the salesman are happy with!"

Sounds like you are moving in the right direction and I wouldn't worry so much about keeping the salesman happy but I know what you mean. Its really helpful to be able to see the units you are interested in to compare the differences.

I don't have a walk-around bed either but I like to use mine as a oversized couch to watch TV by putting the deco pillows to use as a back rest. However, got to warn you that making the bed can be a challenge until you get the hang of it.

Take care.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #18

Smile

Whee!!!! We did it!! Ordered the 1809S today from RVW!!! 6-8 weeks estimate for delivery and we have nowhere to store it!
Old 05-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elidh View Post
Whee!!!! We did it!! Ordered the 1809S today from RVW!!! 6-8 weeks estimate for delivery and we have nowhere to store it!
Congrats on ordering your RV! I know that you have done a lot of research & you should be real happy with it.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Congrats on ordering your RV! I know that you have done a lot of research & you should be real happy with it.

Thanks, Terier - appreciate all your (and everyone else's) help and support!

Tags
1809s