Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2017, 12:02 PM   #1

Mini Lite - Back Up Camera?

Hey everyone,

I'm curious if anyone has installed a backup camera on their mini light and can recommend a model for us, we have the 2017 2104s

The truck also has a backup camera and we should be able to feed the video from the trailer through to the truck display.

Thanks!
Amanda K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:35 PM   #2

Furion camera

I have a minilite 2503S with the the Furrion observation camera hooked up. It works great, but has its own monitor.
campbuzz98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda K View Post
The truck also has a backup camera and we should be able to feed the video from the trailer through to the truck display.
I'm curious as to how to view the trailer camera through the truck monitor. I'd like to do the same. Can you share your plan?
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:44 PM   #4

I have a furrion as well on my 2306, one of the best things I ever did. It has its own screen but I can see 40ft behind me, no issues with lane changes etc.
604Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:58 PM   #5

I'm also satisfied with the Furrion. I use a couple of rubber bands to hang the monitor on the rear-view mirror. Love seeing what is behind me while rolling down the road and it is a big help when changing lanes.

I would also be interested in how you would tie into your TV display. Tying into mine MIGHT be possible, but it would only display when backing up, so missing a lot of value. Unless you are backing up single-handed, I would be leery about depending on a camera. It's the DW's job to help with backing in. Plus I GOAL a lot!!!
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:03 AM   #6

I looked into getting a Furrion, which my 2017 2306 was pre-wired for, but they were crazy expensive, even on Amazon. I found this model:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I found some information where it should be able to be wired into the Furrion mount and used...I have not installed it yet, but will when spring gets here. So can't really recommend it yet. But the price is so much less that it is hard to at least not try it!
Old 01-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda K View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm curious if anyone has installed a backup camera on their mini light and can recommend a model for us, we have the 2017 2104s

Thanks!
I too looked at the other cheaper ones other than the furrion. Decided it wasn't worth the hassles of trying to save a few bucks. Got the high speed observation/backup furrion that my unit was pre wired for and could not be happier. I love seeing what's down the road behind me while driving. Makes lane changes so much nicer and just gives my a little more relaxation while driving. I just mount the included monitor on the windshield and all is good. I'm not sure I would want to have the trailer on my truck's display. I like having my trucks backup camera as I'm backing so I can see if anything is in a bind on the hitch while backing. Or in my case it shows me that I forgot to unhook the anti sway bar before backing up. Overall, I would recommend the furrion observation/backup camera. If you keep watching Amazon occasionally the price drops a lot. Picked mine up on there for $250
PupScrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:20 PM   #8

We have a Rockwood 2304KS Mini Lite, and before that a Dutchman Kodiak hybrid. For both I installed an inexpensive ($65 on sale)peak antifreeze brand backup. It comes with a camera, wireless transmitter, and a monitor. I had to buy a 25' extension cable from the camera to the transmitter. $8 I added a switch to turn it on and off, and leave it on when we are on the road. I must say that it works superbly as a rear view mirror, and backup camera. The old TT for 4 years. The Rockwood for the past 2.
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:53 PM   #9

Back up camera full time

I ran a 50 ft. power and feed cable (from ebay) from the hitch to the tear of the trailer (35 ft). I was tired of cars getting on my tail and I didn't know it. I powered the back up camera full time and mounted it on the rear window of the camper with a suction cup gps windshield mount. I ran the power/feed cable thru the rear window hatch of my Yukon. It's hooked to a 7" monitor mounted on the dash. I don't even have ust my rear view mirror extensions! I get a good wide angle view of everything behind me all the time. Also useful when backing into a site.
Jfoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:04 PM   #10
StlClay

Another idea

Well I will dis-agree with everyone. I purchased a wireless camera and monitor from Tadi Brothers at the Hershey PA show two years ago for 200. Installed it in my Mini Lite and have never been happier. This year I returned to the show and purchased a backup camera for my truck which works on the same monitor. Check their web site before you pay more money for one of the "named" brands

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:36 PM   #11

I purchased a Tadi Brothers wireless camera for use on my Shamrock 21DK and Dodge Durango. I hot-wired the receiver into the overhead console with a toggle switch and use a 7" RV GPS as the monitor.

When it worked, I liked it a lot. Unfortunately, the signal was flaky because of the distance between transmitter and receiver. I plan to move the transmitter to the front of the trailer but, in the meantime, switched tow vehicles and haven't yet restored the previous installation in the new one.

I also experienced use under cold conditions. I suspect the camera might not work as well when freezing as a more robust version might.
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back up camera, lite