Old 09-23-2019, 09:43 AM   #1

mini lite drawers are flimsy

I had a couple drawers out yesterday to do some wiring under the kitchen cabinets and noticed the slide rail attached to the drawer was about to fall off. Of course the screw just spun it its hole. There's no wood to hold a screw. The sides are 3/8 ply the bottom is 1/8". All the drawers are this way so I would expect them all to come loose very soon. The only trip my trailer has been on was from the factory to here. I'm going to see if some really small machine screws and nuts can go there, not sure if it will work or not.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:27 PM   #2

Common Issue

Nearly all RV's will have this issue.

Need to be handy as an RV owner or experience will be miserable...

Add more tiny screws to your drawer slides, but add a drop of Gorilla glue just before screwing them in... remove originals and glue them too. Even if stripped, dab glue on em and reinstall. Glue will swell up and your golden.

6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:56 PM   #3

Typically, mass produced RV's and their drawers are not manufactured or structurally sound enough to put anything in. Appearance for the catalog pictures is the main goal.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:20 PM   #4
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6CatDaddy View Post
Nearly all RV's will have this issue.

Need to be handy as an RV owner or experience will be miserable...

Add more tiny screws to your drawer slides, but add a drop of Gorilla glue just before screwing them in... remove originals and glue them too. Even if stripped, dab glue on em and reinstall. Glue will swell up and your golden.
a piece of wood toothpick/sliver of wood with normal wood glue works too. works without glue in a pinch.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:26 PM   #5

If you use Gorilla glue just put a small drop of water (just moist) in the hole or on the screw. This will really seal it up!
Equalizer Hitch w/ 4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2016(retirement): 669
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:13 PM   #6

I've found you can tighten the friction for opening, but a child safety catch adds extra protection in keeping the drawers from sliding full out during travel, thats really tough on the mediocre glides. Guess everyones had some issue with them. Glue in a wood part of a strike anywhere match, tooth pics or whatever in the stripped out hole, and refasten.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:52 AM   #7
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
If you use Gorilla glue just put a small drop of water (just moist) in the hole or on the screw. This will really seal it up!
if you read the directions on the bottle (who actually reads glue directions?!?) it does say to wet the mating surface with water when using urethane glues.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:28 PM   #8

How did you remove the drawers? I too need to stick my head under the kitchen sink but I can't figure out how to remove the draw. Usually they have levers/tabs/pins something that you can release. Or like my house kitchen they lift up at the end of travel. These RV drawers seem to be held in by magic. I don't want to go all "Tim Allen" on them like I normally would (I have a nice collection of Sawzalls, hammers and the such). If they don't work when I'm done I'll be glad we got the 3" topper for the mattress.
Jim M.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:43 PM   #9

Should have the tapered levers, takes good finger nails, usually one is pushed down and the other up. Can tell by where the pointed end is ,up or down.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:44 PM   #10

Yes you will see pointy little levers in the middle of the slide, push one side up the other down, it will slide off.
I ended up running some 3/4 in screws through the drawers, they poke through under the bottom. I then ran a bead of glue around the drawer bottom and over the protruding screws, I don' think they can back out now plus the glue should make the drawer more rigid. Also did some reinforcing of the back slider supports, added some extra glue and screw bracing.
I hate the way trailers are built, it seems like just a little more effort and they could design it where screws all had something real to screw into. Our last trailer was a Lance, which is an expensive trailer, but it had the same issues. I did machine screws everywhere I could to keep the cupboard doors from falling off.

Tags
lite, mini lite