Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2016, 11:47 AM   #1

Mini Lite Question

We are looking at the 2016- 2104S and 2109S (have almost decided on the 2104s) just wondering can anyone tell me why the 2104 is taller than the 2109?

Anyone tell me have any likes or dislikes on these two units they would like to pass along ? Is there a Mini Lite sub group here on the forum? if so could someone point me to it as i have not been able to find it. it would be interesting to see what mods if any owners of the Mini Lites have done.

Thank You for your help and advice,
Luckylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckylyn View Post
We are looking at the 2016- 2104S and 2109S (have almost decided on the 2104s) just wondering can anyone tell me why the 2104 is taller than the 2109?

Anyone tell me have any likes or dislikes on these two units they would like to pass along ? Is there a Mini Lite sub group here on the forum? if so could someone point me to it as i have not been able to find it. it would be interesting to see what mods if any owners of the Mini Lites have done.

Thank You for your help and advice,
My mom had a MiniLite 2306 that she purchased from RVWholesalers that was a great camper. She saved close to $4K buying from RVW as opposed to out local dealers. They seem to be very proud of the MiniLite's. Never any issues with it and I found it to be very well made. Sorry I can't tell you why the height difference. My guess would be something about the suspension such as the angle the torsion axles ride at, but that's just speculation. Don't think there would be any difference in actual wall height, but I could be wrong.
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:14 PM   #3

I was looking at them in a showroom and I think the reason is how the slide operates it needs to be higher. And it could be the one that is lower has a torsion axle and the one higher has a leaf spring axle. By what I have read the torsion axle is the prefered axle.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
I was looking at them in a showroom and I think the reason is how the slide operates it needs to be higher. And it could be the one that is lower has a torsion axle and the one higher has a leaf spring axle. By what I have read the torsion axle is the prefered axle.
To my knowledge the entire Rockwood line uses torsion axles.
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:11 PM   #5

If you go to the main forum page (web browser) and click on "community" and then "social groups" you will see a group called "Mini lite and Micro Lite Trailer Talk" or just search for Mini Lite

I had a 2016 2104S. I have to say quality wise I LOVED the trailer. Great brand and solid build. But for me it was just not a good fit. Nothing negative at all to Forest River. First was the shower. Mine was one of the early 2016's with the old shower with the curtain which was way too small. Was it usable, yes, but just not the best fit for me. The other thing I didnt like was there was zero counter space. Yes, you could use the stove top and the sink cover but I was always moving things to do something. Then there was the storage, or lack of. No real good storage for big items like lawn chairs or a real grill. Also I think they have maybe changed this but with the water heater below the pantry by the fridge it caused the pantry to get really warm. So you can't store anything in there that may melt like chocolate etc. And then the biggest thing I didnt like.... The Dinette. The first time I went camping we had HORRIBLE rain for 2 days so I was stuck inside. So in that case I would have liked to have something a little more comfortable to sit at in addition to the couch. Also as a table and chairs it was very hard to get in and out of.... Those are just my experiences. I think it really depends on what you want and what you can tow. So I ended up getting rid of mine about a month ago and bought a different trailer...
Old 04-19-2016, 07:26 AM   #6

We've had our 2109s for a little over a year now. Still love it.
Looked at the 2104s when we were shopping. Almost went with that. Here's some of things we like about the 2109 though:
  • Like the sofa instead of dinette.
  • Large window in the front over the bed.
  • Storage under the foot of the bed.
  • Rear entry door next to the fridge (can just reach in from outside.)
Things we don't like.
  • Small shower (probably the same on 2104.)
  • Had to do some minor mods to make sure water stays inside the shower. N/A if you are getting one with the shower doors instead of curtain.
  • Super bright "on" light above the fridge. Easy fix.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:19 AM   #7

We have a 2015 2104s, still practically new for us. We don't have the Murphy bed version so we do have big front window and storage under the bed. The dinette seating could definitely be more comfortable for lounging and watching TV, but we found if we pull off the back and corner cushions and put the bed pillows and throw pillows behind us they are much more comfy. I use the dining table for additional counter space. Haven't used the shower yet because where we've camped there have been good shower facilities. We find the storage is more than adequate, but you do need to be flexible about where you put things. We got a good quality mattress topper and find it very comfortable for sleeping. We are really happy with our purchase. FYI we are a mid 60s couple and don't plan on having overnight guests.
SusanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:02 AM   #8

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ad.php?t=75239

Micro lite / mini lite group

2012 Ford F-150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2012 Micro Lite 23lb

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:49 AM   #9
KnP

I have a 2306 the only downsize is space (duh). As far fit, form and function seems very well made and a solid construction. To be honest, the Murphy Bed is a great choice and space saver. The only reason we skipped the expandable side was weight and temp reasons. Less seams, less chances of water leaks and temperature losses. Forrest River does not say but working around the camper the construction is very similar to Artic Fox; on a 30ish degree night, we were able to warm the camper with a 1,500 Watts space heater and got to the mid 80s. Tested the Furnance and sure makes it very toasty. Replaced the AC/Heater head unit for a Coleman digital type. The TT walls, celling and doors are foam filled like thermos bottle. The AC is not that loud, no more than a residential window unit. The shower skylight is a double plastic window spaced by 1 inch or more.

So far we love it.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:57 PM   #10

Thanks to everyone for your help as soon as all this bad weather here in Texas is over we will be going back to talk to our dealer ( M & G trailer Ranch,Clute) They are really great people very easy to work with as well as honest and helpful.

Now that I have ask about pros & cons from this very helpful group I feel like I will be going in with a better knowledge of what questions to ask about theses 2 units.

I am still open for more information,so if there are others with things they can add please do so. Thank you also for pointing me to the Mini lite/micro lite sub group. I am finding some good information there also.

Happy Camping
Old 04-20-2016, 08:45 PM   #11

When we were shopping for a new trailer over the past 2 years each and every time we would come back to the 2109S as the trailer for us.

We have had tent trailers, and prior to our Minilite a Chalet AFrame. This time we wanted what we felt would be our trailer for the next 10 years (hopefully)

The 2109 had a few floor plan items we preferred. The rear door with the fridge right inside is convenient and you are tromping through the trailer to get a drink. Its not far ether way I know. The rear door also is nice as we have a dog so those early morning bathroom walks for the dog don't end up as disruptive and don't allow a bunch of cold air to the bed area.

The coach vs dinette. We never used the dinette in the tent trailer, never used it in the AFrame, so a coach just made more sense for when you wanted to sit back and relax. We replaced the heavy table with a light 4 foot folding style. We also looked at using TV trays instead of the table. We try and dine outside as much as possible.

Counter space is better in the 2109. I would have liked the larger storage at the back in the 2104 but its a minor trade off. The newer models do have the shower door rather than the curtain. Its not a big deal for us.

We did consider the smaller 1809 but not having the walk around bed and the furnace under the bed was a deal breaker. I turned the furnace on in a 1809 and it vibrated the entire bed. So unless you are looking for that I wouldn't recommend it. I just know it would bother me.

We do a lot of boon docking and this trailer almost seems to nice to drag down rough forestry access roads but the quality of it was better than comparable floor plans of other manufacturers.

Our summer up here in Canada is just getting under way. Looking forward to many happy nights in our Minilite this year.
friendofacatahoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:18 AM   #12
Learning a lot as I go...

To the original question...

The 2104 has the full floor above the wheels (as do most of the Rockwoods) whereas the 2109 has wheel well notches allowing the floor to be lowered. It is very noticeable from the outside where the 2109 has a double step and the 2104 has a triple step. They hide the wheel wells under the kitchen cabinets on the one side and the couch on the other.

I really liked the 2109. Nice towable size. Good layout for 2 people. Would have bought one but dealer #1 would not budge on price and dealer #2 who had 6 in stock according to web site actually had none when we got there. They showed us a 2604WS and my wife forgot all about the 2109.
stevejahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckylyn View Post
Thanks to everyone for your help as soon as all this bad weather here in Texas is over we will be going back to talk to our dealer ( M & G trailer Ranch,Clute) They are really great people very easy to work with as well as honest and helpful.

Happy Camping
Give it about a month and you can probably pick up my 2014 2104S at M & G for a pretty good deal when my new one comes in, lol. It's been a really good trailer and M & G has been good to work with for three trailers now.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:01 AM   #14

That would work perfect if I didn't need to trade in a bigger unit LOL !
M & G are great guys to work with, we have worked with them many times before and highly recommend them.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinbone View Post
We've had our 2109s for a little over a year now. Still love it.
Looked at the 2104s when we were shopping. Almost went with that. Here's some of things we like about the 2109 though:
  • Like the sofa instead of dinette.
  • Large window in the front over the bed.
  • Storage under the foot of the bed.
  • Rear entry door next to the fridge (can just reach in from outside.)
Things we don't like.
  • Small shower (probably the same on 2104.)
  • Had to do some minor mods to make sure water stays inside the shower. N/A if you are getting one with the shower doors instead of curtain.
  • Super bright "on" light above the fridge. Easy fix.
We have a 2016 2109s and liked it for the same reasons. In addition, the units with Murphy beds had soft sofas. The 2016 shower has doors, but agree about the bright fridge "on" light.
'16 nights camped = 12 (first year)
www.travelingboilers.com
Traveling_Boilers is offline   Reply With Quote