Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #1

Minilite antenna question?

Just got a 2014 2306 and have a few questions that are probably already answered on his forum. Does the tv antenna on these units have a booster? My tv inside my house has a $9.00 rca rabbit ear hooked up and will recieve 15 or more channels. My camper parked at my house with antenna raised will only get 3 channels in what ever direction i aim it. I do set the tv to air and run all channel scan. Am I missing something I could install or upgrade? I do have one of the boxes that would allow old tv's to accept hd. I haven't tried using it yet as i know there not needed with a hd tv. Thanks
cohuttariverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:27 AM   #2

I don't have your TT but my Mini does have booster. Look for the panel under the TV where the cable plugs in from the TV. There is a small almost invisible button that you need to press. I get a small green light near it when it is on.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
I don't have your TT but my Mini does have booster. Look for the panel under the TV where the cable plugs in from the TV. There is a small almost invisible button that you need to press. I get a small green light near it when it is on.
X2

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:23 PM   #4

Thanks so much! You sure are right about almost invisible! I pulled tv out from wall enough to see behind it and yep its little black button where coax hooks up. Light turn green, done scan all and now get over 20 channels. More than I get in my house. After reading on here and learning a wingman may help UHF think it's worth it or if I have room for it? I guess my antenna doesn't have it cause it looks like a standard sensar without a wing sticking off the side.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:05 AM   #5

Another note. If you connect to a cable system, available in some CG's, the booster must be turned off (green light off).

The wingman is an element which extents from the front of the standard antenna, and improves the UHF reception for HD channels.
gbpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
Site Team

another example of a poor dealer PDI!

this is a basic thing that should have been covered during it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #7

i have a 2014 2104s and it does have a booster but reception is not that better with it turned on. i have a cheap little indoor non powered hd antenna that seems to work better.
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prothos View Post
i have a 2014 2104s and it does have a booster but reception is not that better with it turned on. i have a cheap little indoor non powered hd antenna that seems to work better.
Check your cable end connectors, mine were/are loose. You should see a big difference on OTA reception with boost turned on. Most likely just more channels or less pixelation of current stations.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #9

All my connections were loose also from the factory. I went one step further and purchased a King antenna, and now I get 30 some channels.
GAC2460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #10

Connections are good here but do these 2014 mini 2306 come with the wingman built in? Im also having a problem with the thermostat being mounted too close to the side of fridge an making it a pita to regulate temperature cause of the warmth from fridge. Thermostat reads 78 when everywhere else is 71 in camper. Im unsure how to insulate or even get in behind the small area where tv, genesis, thermostat is mounted. Anyone familiar or have same problem?
Old 07-03-2014, 10:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohuttariverrat View Post
Connections are good here but do these 2014 mini 2306 come with the wingman built in? Im also having a problem with the thermostat being mounted too close to the side of fridge an making it a pita to regulate temperature cause of the warmth from fridge. Thermostat reads 78 when everywhere else is 71 in camper. Im unsure how to insulate or even get in behind the small area where tv, genesis, thermostat is mounted. Anyone familiar or have same problem?
I've got a 2306 so here is what to do about adding a Wingman to the antenna. First, I doubt it has been added on but one never knows. When you crank it up you should be able to clearly see if it there. Here is a pic of the antenna with the Wingman added on. It is the small elements coming off the main unit. I added this to my antenna and it really does help. Here is the trick. On our trailer there is technically not enough room to add this to our antenna and have it crank down and sit flat on the roof in the V shaped groove it is supposed to. The fridge vent is in it's way. But if you turn the antenna a little bit counter-clockwise (looking up at the dial from inside the trailer) from it's official resting place before you crank it down it will clear the vent and lay flat on the roof. It will not be in the V shaped groove but it works fine and has caused me no problems the many times I have used it. You really need to go up on a ladder and look at this to understand what I'm saying.

Thermostat. I replaced my analog with a digital one like many here on this forum have also done. I love it, works so much better. I sealed up the hole where the wires come through (except just enough for the wires to move) and that has helped with heat getting into it from behind. A lot of the heat actually comes off of the stereo mounted in that same place. To get a look at this take off the cover plate on the thermostat and unscrew it from the wall. You can then see the hole and the wires. If you take the stereo out you can really get a good look. Somebody here took fixing this heat issue to the max and mounted computer fans in that cabinet. One thing I did which helped n the temp regulation was to be sure one of the ceiling vents that can rotate and be aimed in different directions is aimed just a little bit into the corner where the thermostat is. Your air will run shorter cycles but more often. More even temps. Just don't blow too much air into the corner or it will really get out of whack running way too short to cool anything and turning off.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohuttariverrat View Post

We installed a digital thermostat and it seems to work much better than the analog unit.

I purchased ours from Amazon but it's no longer available... Here's the one I got...
http://www.makariosrv.com/coleman-di...FdBi7AodIAIAbg

2014 Rockwood 2306 w/Murphy Bed
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #13

i have a question. this has happened since day one of my mini. while watching tv from the antenna if you turn on the light over the sink or in the bathroom the tv screen pauses . turn the lite of and tv starts playing. has anyone else had this issue or know the fix?
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prothos View Post
i have a question. this has happened since day one of my mini. while watching tv from the antenna if you turn on the light over the sink or in the bathroom the tv screen pauses . turn the lite of and tv starts playing. has anyone else had this issue or know the fix?
Yup. We have the same issue, but only two of the overhead lights cause the pixilation and/or freezing -- and only on some channels. I think it's something in the LED circuit boards, but I don't know of a fix. Last year at Goshen, I asked a factory rep; she didn't know either. It's really not much of an inconvenience and we now find it amusing.

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:30 PM   #15

That is called RF interference and it is from the circuitry in the LED bulb, or the fixture the bulb is in. This depends on where the voltage regulator circuitry is that brings 12 volts down to 5 volts or whatever the LED voltage is. That really doesn't matter. Here is what will fix that in most cases. You will need to buy two of these for each light that makes the RF interference and maybe a couple more that will go on the TV. They come in a 2 pack. However I would experiment with one light first to be sure it works and you don't blow a bunch of moo-la. Snap-Together Toroid Choke Core-2-Pack - RadioShack.com

This device is called a Ferrite coil or better known as an RF Choke. It will filter out electrical noise in all sorts of places. With a little work and some luck it will stop that RF noise from the light. You are basically winding the power wire through this coil as many times as you can, and close to the light, but leave enough wire to help push the coil up in the hole and re-mount the light. Look at the picture in the link above. It shows a single wire but you should be able to use the double wire that has the negative and positive wire glued together. If it is too thick you can split the wire and use one coil on the positive wire and one coil on the negative wire. You might very well have to lengthen the wire to get enough through the coil to do the job. Start by trying one coil on a light. (or two coils if you split the wire) It may just stop it. The coil snaps open so you can wrap the wire around and around the coil until no more wire will fit and then snap it shut. If you have a long enough wire you are lucky and don't have to add any wire so there is no messing with connections, wire nuts etc. Hopefully there is enough room in the hole above your light to push the coil back up there. But there are also many variables in trailers and I have very limited experience in what is behind light that I can't tell you more. You can also put these coils on the other end of the wire after it comes out of your distribution panel but that is not the preferred way.

You can use these RF Chokes on the power cord on the TV as well as the antenna cable itself. It's a matter of just playing around with it.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna