Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
rip

Minimum carpet option on WJ 2809W

I ordered a 2013 Rockwood Windjammer 2809W last week. I included 10-2354 minimum carpet. I feel it's easier to keep plain floor clean in high traffic areas.

Yesterday some friends sent me utube videos of my color choice for the new 2013 fabric colors "london sky."

When looking at the videos, I noticed one trailer had the minimum carpet in both the front living/dining room area and the rear bedroom area. The other had minimum carpet in the front area but full carpet in the rear area.

I liked that idea, easy to clean floor in front high traffic/spill zone and soft more insulated floor in bedroom when you step out of bed barefoot.

Does anyone know if 10-2354 minimum carpet is adjustable between rooms and how you would select that on your order form.
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

From conversations with other members, I got the impression it is certainly possible to get these campers customized to your specs at the factory.

The biggest issue is getting your dealer to take enough interest in your business to make the calls and coordination with the factory. If you are a low margin customer, they may not be all that excited to put a lot of extra effort into the sale.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
rip

Thanks Lou, I'll try with my salesman Kelly again and see what he has found out. I bumped him on it yesterday but heard no reply. Perhaps he's like me and does not know what to do. I only accidently saw the variation thru dealer videos.

Seems strange that FR does not have a customer service system that keeps their dealers on their toes. This is the kind of question I'd expect to be asking a factory customer service rep, instead of guessing or wondering who/how to ask.

Makes the forum more valuable. -ray
Old 12-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #4

We have no carpet except in the driver area of our Georgetown MH. Honestly? BEST idea ever! I picked up some rubber backed bathroom mats (Costco or Sam's - I think it was Sam's) that are a near identical match for the carpet up front. They catch an amazing amount of grit dirt etc BUT I can simply shake them out on the road and run them through the washer at home when needed. The existing carpet up front? A tedious mess to clean. Perhaps other families with 2 adults and 3 children are vastly different than ours, but we like walks on the beach and playing in the mud! We have an Electrolux cordless stick vac (lives in the bathroom next to the toilet) which makes fast work of the vinyl floors. I would not want a carpeted RV ever.
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #5

We picked up our 2809 back in Aug. Looked at two different models at the dealer and chose the one with shorter carpet in both the dining area and the bedroom.

Glad we did; be bought some carpet that matched the carpet in our trailer and cut it into floor mats which we placed in the areas where we needed them, mainly in the entrance areas. We were out last month and the dog and I both got pretty muddy, after we got home I threw the mat in front of the door away and cut another from the roll of carpet I purchased.

I'm not sure what I would have done if that had been the carpeting in the trailer.

In the bedroom we have the same thing, the half carpet isn't really that much and it is sure easy to clean the floor without the carpet on it.
dfskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
rip

Thanks, 2Susan. That's why I ordered the minimum carpet option on the Windjammer 2809W. I appreciate it in the high traffic areas, and I too made great use of carpet mats in my previous trailer.

On the 2809W, the rear bedroom is isolated behind a door, kinda out of the line of traffic. I'll mostly be barefoot in there. It seemed appealing to get out of bed and step onto carpet in just that one room.

It'll be ok to step from bed onto vinyl tile and mats, if I must, to keep the minimum carpet in the dining/kitchen/living area.

I learned it was easier to sweep with a small broom or pad, than it was to vacuum. Can't believe how much dusty dirt I track into the trailer, not at all like my house.

I've found some great carpet mats at our local $1 stores.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
rip

Thanks, dfskinner. You getting me to think about it. The complete minimum carpet was my first choice before I saw those 2809's in the videos.

Did your 2012 have led lights? Tell me more about your 2809 likes/dislikes.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfskinner View Post
We picked up our 2809 back in Aug.
Thanks again dfskinner, and all who replied. I'm particularly interested in any 2809 tips you can share.

I made some progress with my salesman (dealer) thanks to some advice in this thread from Lou. Kelly is going to talk with our area FR rep on Monday and see if he can find out more about tweaking the minimum carpet option.

I'll let you guys know how that evolves. -ray
Old 12-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #9

yes, our 2012 has LED lights in the cabin. I'm not sure about the outside lights. The only thing I would have added is a light over the "control panel". You need a flashlight to see the words over each button, even when you have power.

Couple of other items; dining table lock, sliding door between bath/bedroom, how the battery "cut-off" switch works, and how the gas automatic switch over works. Really didn't understand those items at the walk-thru, but now know the importance of all of those.

During the walkthru the dealer should show you all the cut off values. The two behind the waterheater, one under the sink to cut off the supply from your onboard flesh water tank. These are important when you winterize your pipes. Also make sure you remove the filter before you winterize. Once you clear your system in the spring you can put the filter back, but not until you see clear water running thru the filter under the sink in the bathroom.

One other item I found today; one of my tanks (passagner side) is rubbing on the trailer. I'll be bringing that to the dealer attention. The tanks should rub on the trailer while riding down the road to a point of rubbing a hole in the tank. No hole yet, but I could see where it could. Looks like the alignment of my tanks in the covered area is a little off, the two tanks need to be moved to the right just about a 1/2 inch or so. I may try and move them over, but I'd much rather have the dealer document this in the event I have a problem with the tanks.
dfskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
From conversations with other members, I got the impression it is certainly possible to get these campers customized to your specs at the factory.

The biggest issue is getting your dealer to take enough interest in your business to make the calls and coordination with the factory. If you are a low margin customer, they may not be all that excited to put a lot of extra effort into the sale.
To reinforce what Herk is saying, some minimal customizing is possible on a factory order, particurlarly this time of year. We were able to get some changes from standard on our order thru RV Direct, but they were the only dealer that we had talked to that was willing to even enquire about them.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
rip

Thanks Dfskinner for the 2809 feedback here and message. I really appreciate that.

And thanks Dave for reinforcing what Lou said. I'll feedback how my salesman does Monday. I have three friends who have said positive things about my dealer RV Station, but they purchased off the lot not by an order.

My order will be finished right before the March annual year change mentioned on another thread. Don't know if that has any effect. I was hoping this was a slow time of year for incoming orders. Don't really know since customers can't communicate with Forest River. -ray
Old 12-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip View Post
My order will be finished right before the March annual year change mentioned on another thread. Don't know if that has any effect. I was hoping this was a slow time of year for incoming orders. Don't really know since customers can't communicate with Forest River. -ray
Too bad you couldn't have delayed placement of the order so that the build date would be a 2014 model. We didn't know either and had a build date in Feb. The impact would be further down the road when you sell it as it would have one year less depreciation and would command a higher price.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #13
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Too bad you couldn't have delayed placement of the order so that the build date would be a 2014 model. We didn't know either and had a build date in Feb. The impact would be further down the road when you sell it as it would have one year less depreciation and would command a higher price.

Dave
I could have delayed, I was in no particular rush. I think I have that rush feeling now that I've placed the order. Earlier this year, dealers seemed more eager to deal on 2011 and 2012's than 2013, little bargaining on an order. At least that's what I felt. -ray
Old 12-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #14
rip

Well, the dealer's FR rep replied that they could not mix standard carpet in one room and minimum carpet option in the other room without charging more for a special order. So, that's it for now. I opted for no additional costs.

He did share something about minimum carpet that was exciting. I'll share it when I see what it looks like. More to come. -ray
Old 12-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip View Post
Well, the dealer's FR rep replied that they could not mix standard carpet in one room and minimum carpet option in the other room without charging more for a special order. So, that's it for now. I opted for no additional costs.

He did share something about minimum carpet that was exciting. I'll share it when I see what it looks like. More to come. -ray
I figured any modifications would be extra cost. Believe me when I say that getting it like you want it from the factory (for a few bucks more) is way better than being upset you did not do it a year from now.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #16
rip

Thanks Lou, it was one of those things that I felt would look/feel good but be less practical. Since FR was not going to make it easy, that just swung me back to my practical side. Standard carpet and the minimum carpet option are both free on this model. Maybe they'll think about it and decide mixing them among the two rooms wasn't really a big deal. I just thought it looked neat on the one in a dealer video.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4

Tags