Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2015, 09:45 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Minor Rant About Winterizing System

Anybody else HATE the antifreeze input on the outside of their trailer?

We have 20-degree weather coming in so, today, I ran out to the lot with a couple bottles of red stuff...took WAY too long to winterize as the stupid thing just would NOT suck up the red stuff. (It worked okay last fall...I think the input valve on the camper is letting air in so not getting good suction.)

For the life of me, I cannot understand a few things on this thing:

-WHY is it located so high? I have to put out a 6-foot ladder to hold the jug of red stuff and stick the hose into it.

-WHY is it directly above the cargo door so it's impossible to open with above ladder holding the jug?

-WHY didn't they just leave the hose inside the compartment with a shut-off valve so we could just put the red jug right next to it and put the hose in it?

Dumb design and I'm cutting the hose and fixing it to what it should've been in the first place. (Inside the compartment.)

Stuff like this makes me miss my old 18-foot trailer where I could winterize in a few minutes right inside.
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #2

I agree the system is very awkward to use. I carry a 6 gal air compressor and blow out the lines when the weather is going into the 20's after we "summerized" the trailer. I only use the antifreeze when we store for the winter. I have not had any problems.
Fivealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:04 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'd say call them up and voice your opinion.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/ContactUs.aspx

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:07 AM   #4

I dont have a wood but I have an EVO, we got hit with some weather yesterday and the day before, I had already de-winterized and camped the weekend before. I had to run to the lot and prep for the cold weather. All I did was drain the HWT and then open all the faucets it turned out good but annoying none the less.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:30 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivealive View Post
I agree the system is very awkward to use. I carry a 6 gal air compressor and blow out the lines when the weather is going into the 20's after we "summerized" the trailer. I only use the antifreeze when we store for the winter. I have not had any problems.
I do have a portable compressor and valve adapter...I think I will do that if it's only going to be in the upper-20's from now on. (My unit does have the full-enclosure underneath.)

But I'm still planning on fixing the line and, while I'm in there, removing the on-board water filter. (That's just a big water accident waiting to happen, IMHO)
Old 04-16-2015, 11:34 AM   #6

[QUOTE=But I'm still planning on fixing the line and, while I'm in there, removing the on-board water filter. (That's just a big water accident waiting to happen, IMHO)[/QUOTE]

Getting rid of that filter is also on my to do list.
Fivealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
I do have a portable compressor and valve adapter...I think I will do that if it's only going to be in the upper-20's from now on. (My unit does have the full-enclosure underneath.)

But I'm still planning on fixing the line and, while I'm in there, removing the on-board water filter. (That's just a big water accident waiting to happen, IMHO)
Hmmm... I assume the location of the inlet is similar to my trailer which is right beside the FW tank fill and city water connection. Why do you think you need to put the jug of pink stuff so high? The pump should pull in the anti-freeze. It's not gravity fed. I sometimes need to close open and close a tap in the trailer to get it pumping as it seems air locked but that's it.

I'll also be removing the water filter housing when I get my TT home from storage in a week or two.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:21 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

You know, when I opened the two low point drains, one was missing the rubber seal, I bet that was letting air out.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:47 PM   #9
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Why do you think you need to put the jug of pink stuff so high? The pump should pull in the anti-freeze. It's not gravity fed.
I had to do the same thing. I think it's due to the pick up hose being full of air in the beginning. I hold the jug above the fixture at first then set my jug inside the compartment when the pump begins to pull the AF.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:46 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
I'd say call them up and voice your opinion.

Forest River RV Contact Us - Forest River, Inc.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
Thanks, I think I'll send them an e-mail with areas for improvements. (I just wateched a walk-through on a 2015.5 model that I own and saw some things I liked and some things I didn't like with changes.)

Tags
winter, winterize