Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2017, 06:50 PM   #1

Murphy bed feet damage to floor

We are new owners on a Rockwood Mini-lite 2504s. after just 5 nights in the trailer, we've noticed two fairly deep indentations in the floor where the murphy bed feet come down. The feet each had a ~1" diameter round rubber 'bumper' on the bottom of the feet, which unfortunately put all of the weight on the feet into the small round space, and we now have two dents in the floor.

Has anyone else encountered this? Did you have any warranty work done on it? We're slightly concerned about a problem with the floor in the future due to the divots in the floor.
TnT_Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:12 PM   #2

Those little rubber feet have got to go! I unscrewed mine and used some self-adhesive felt from the home center (Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc.) to cover the entire base of the leg. Just trace the profile with a pencil and cut out with heavy scissors. I used a little spray adhesive on a brush on the raw wood first and let it set up a bit before sticking the felt on. Seems to be holding.
No more floor damage. It worked for me!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:12 PM   #3

welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. I sort of doubt that would be a warranty issue, but you could try. I think what I would do is cut myself some 3"X3" plywood squares and place them under the legs when using the bed. I would also try taking a heat gun being careful not to burn the flooring and heat dents and see if they don't expand to original shape. no matter what I would not continue to use the bed with nothing under the legs.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:14 PM   #4

DavidBo's idea seems like a better solution then the one I offered for the feet
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:21 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnT_Campers View Post
We are new owners on a Rockwood Mini-lite 2504s. after just 5 nights in the trailer, we've noticed two fairly deep indentations in the floor where the murphy bed feet come down. The feet each had a ~1" diameter round rubber 'bumper' on the bottom of the feet, which unfortunately put all of the weight on the feet into the small round space, and we now have two dents in the floor.

Has anyone else encountered this? Did you have any warranty work done on it? We're slightly concerned about a problem with the floor in the future due to the divots in the floor.
You might try using a heat gun or hair dryer to go over the "dents" to remove them. Play the heat over a large area starting at the depressions and work out to about a 6" dia.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:33 PM   #6

We just use two small carpet pieces and put them under the feet of the bed, no issues at all after our first season of use.

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #7

Good info on the heat helping to restore the floor. We're try that after we adjust the feet of the bed with DavidBo's idea.
TnT_Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
Those little rubber feet have got to go! I unscrewed mine and used some self-adhesive felt from the home center (Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc.) to cover the entire base of the leg. Just trace the profile with a pencil and cut out with heavy scissors. I used a little spray adhesive on a brush on the raw wood first and let it set up a bit before sticking the felt on. Seems to be holding.
X2. Did this to mine.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:20 PM   #9

I had the same problem on our 2504. Here is what I did. First take off those round rubber feet. Then I made some square plywood pads about 3x4 inches, and I screwed them on to the bottom of the legs. Then I glued pieces of carpet runner to the bottom of the plywood. Now the carpet side of the rubber backed pad hits the floor when the bed is deployed. I got lucky I guess that over time my dented floor returned to normal. I think in my case I went to something like 300+ pounds per square inch on those rubber feet to like 30-35 pounds per square inch on my plywood pads. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:10 PM   #10

We just put a flat hotpad under each foot because at the time that was all we had on hand but it worked to prevent floor damage.
Harris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #11

[QUOTE=DavidBo;1478984]Those little rubber feet have got to go! I unscrewed mine and used some self-adhesive felt from the home center (Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc.) to cover the entire base of the leg. Just trace the profile with a pencil and cut out with heavy scissors. I used a little spray adhesive on a brush on the raw wood first and let it set up a bit before sticking the felt on. Seems to be holding.

X2 Did exactly the same with ours.....

kcdelan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, floor