Old 12-26-2014, 11:36 AM   #1

Murphy Bed Option

Why do so many TT on dealer lots not have the Murphy beds in them? I'm having a hard time convincing DW that the Murphy bed is the way to go. Is there a big difference in price?

okiecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:23 AM   #2

Purchased our first TT this year and went with the Rockwood MiniLite 2503S because of the Murphy bed. No regrets because we like the extra living area and availability of a couch. Not sure of a difference in price because wife would not consider any TT without a couch. In this size category, it seemed the couch usually was not an option unless there was a murphy bed.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. I think the Murphy option is the way to go. The only downside may be losing some storage space, but I don't see that as being a big negative.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #4

Sort of went along the line of thinking as cap10gus when we purchased our 2504S. We are first time RV owners, and first timers as far as towing anything. So there was certainly some concern with buying something too large for our "talent", so to speak.

But in the trailer that we were planning to purchase, we had a few desires. We wanted bunks (been trying to start the family), dinette, a couch that faces the tv straight on, and our own bed. Seemed that in order to get those options we had to get a 30'+ trailer that had a seperate bedroom. With the 2504S w/murphy bed we got everything we wanted and it wasnt a gigantic model (25'). We have many RVers in the family, and all of them cant believe how big the trailer is on the inside, because of the slide and murphy bed. All of us, like you, cant believe there arent more RVs out there utilizing the murphy bed.

In our experience, the one and only down fall is that you cant have the bed down with the slide in. Those with experience with both the murphy bed and no murphy bed might have a better idea of pros and cons, but at this point I cant see ever wanting anything else..

Old 12-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #5

When we began looking at TT this past summer DW was against murphy bed. I didn't argue the point, just took to look at some with it. once she actually saw one with murphy bed (2504S, which we recently took delivery on) she decided the reality was better than her perception (hard to raise/lower, would have to remove bedding, loss of lots of storage- "all fears" were turned to advantages. Hope you can find one in stock to show her because I bet she changes her mind. Obviously if there are any upcoming camper shows that would be a great place to see one!

craig
Old 12-29-2014, 12:00 PM   #6

Mattress

Craigster,

Did you have to upgrade the mattress with a foam topper, and would it affect the closing of the bed?

I hadn't thought about the bed having to be in the stored position when the slide is closed, but I guess that is not a big deal. (Unless the slide breaks).
Old 12-29-2014, 04:24 PM   #7

Some other items to note, at least for the 2503s floorplan.
1 Although you do lose outside pass through storage, you gain a good sized storage cabinet inside.
2 Did not find a need to improve on the Serta mattress but don't encounter any problems storing the bed with extra pillows and blankets in place.
3. The extra living area more than outweighs the inconvenience of putting the bed up and down. And allows for a "full sized" bathroom.

Again, this is our first TT. We might not know what we are missing with a fixed bed but we sure like this one.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #8

Got the Roo up for sale and are pulling the trigger on a 2504S or 25BHS. I get older, Roo is less appealing. Lots of camper in a smaller package with the murphy/slide set up. Looked at Jayco and Venture, they have similar models, FR has more for the money so to speak. Jayco rep did not like I wasn't buying his unit, he's convinced it's worth the $4K more. Going to dealer tomorrow to begin negotiations. It is funny how many TTs are 30'+ and don't have additional sleeping accommodations without having to convert couch/dinette.
2003 GMC 1500HD 4X4 6.0 3:73 Diablo tuner
mattb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:19 PM   #9

I had the 2306 w/murphy bed for two seasons and loved it. That Murphy bed made the camper feel huge inside. However, the wife wanted to start bringing the dog along ($20/night in the kennel was killing us) and there was just no extra space for him. Perfect for our family of four, however.
The mattress was comfortable enough by itself, but we went with a 3" standard queen memory foam on top of the stock mattress... It had zero effect on closing the Murphy bed and it let you buy standard queen sheets (deep pocket queen if you add the memory foam). We loved the night stands (with outlets) on both side of the bed... Wished our new one had it.
I just can't imagine anyone say "hate that Murphy bed." I have yet to hear a single complaint.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 12-30-2014, 07:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiecowboy View Post
Craigster,

Did you have to upgrade the mattress with a foam topper, and would it affect the closing of the bed?

I hadn't thought about the bed having to be in the stored position when the slide is closed, but I guess that is not a big deal. (Unless the slide breaks).
okie,

haven't done any upgrades yet, just took possession and it went right to winter storage but it sounds like its not a problem from other posts. I have to say that I never thought to check if the bed could be down when the slide was in but it sounds like it has to be in the stored position. I wonder if there is room for the sofa to fold down with the slide in?

craig

Tags
bed