Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2014, 11:36 AM   #1

Murphy Bed Option

Why do so many TT on dealer lots not have the Murphy beds in them? I'm having a hard time convincing DW that the Murphy bed is the way to go. Is there a big difference in price?
okiecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:23 AM   #2

Purchased our first TT this year and went with the Rockwood MiniLite 2503S because of the Murphy bed. No regrets because we like the extra living area and availability of a couch. Not sure of a difference in price because wife would not consider any TT without a couch. In this size category, it seemed the couch usually was not an option unless there was a murphy bed.
cap10gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. I think the Murphy option is the way to go. The only downside may be losing some storage space, but I don't see that as being a big negative.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #4

Sort of went along the line of thinking as cap10gus when we purchased our 2504S. We are first time RV owners, and first timers as far as towing anything. So there was certainly some concern with buying something too large for our "talent", so to speak.

But in the trailer that we were planning to purchase, we had a few desires. We wanted bunks (been trying to start the family), dinette, a couch that faces the tv straight on, and our own bed. Seemed that in order to get those options we had to get a 30'+ trailer that had a seperate bedroom. With the 2504S w/murphy bed we got everything we wanted and it wasnt a gigantic model (25'). We have many RVers in the family, and all of them cant believe how big the trailer is on the inside, because of the slide and murphy bed. All of us, like you, cant believe there arent more RVs out there utilizing the murphy bed.

In our experience, the one and only down fall is that you cant have the bed down with the slide in. Those with experience with both the murphy bed and no murphy bed might have a better idea of pros and cons, but at this point I cant see ever wanting anything else..

Old 12-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #5

When we began looking at TT this past summer DW was against murphy bed. I didn't argue the point, just took to look at some with it. once she actually saw one with murphy bed (2504S, which we recently took delivery on) she decided the reality was better than her perception (hard to raise/lower, would have to remove bedding, loss of lots of storage- "all fears" were turned to advantages. Hope you can find one in stock to show her because I bet she changes her mind. Obviously if there are any upcoming camper shows that would be a great place to see one!

craig
craigster_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:00 PM   #6

Mattress

Craigster,

Did you have to upgrade the mattress with a foam topper, and would it affect the closing of the bed?

I hadn't thought about the bed having to be in the stored position when the slide is closed, but I guess that is not a big deal. (Unless the slide breaks).
Old 12-29-2014, 04:24 PM   #7

Some other items to note, at least for the 2503s floorplan.
1 Although you do lose outside pass through storage, you gain a good sized storage cabinet inside.
2 Did not find a need to improve on the Serta mattress but don't encounter any problems storing the bed with extra pillows and blankets in place.
3. The extra living area more than outweighs the inconvenience of putting the bed up and down. And allows for a "full sized" bathroom.

Again, this is our first TT. We might not know what we are missing with a fixed bed but we sure like this one.
cap10gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #8

Got the Roo up for sale and are pulling the trigger on a 2504S or 25BHS. I get older, Roo is less appealing. Lots of camper in a smaller package with the murphy/slide set up. Looked at Jayco and Venture, they have similar models, FR has more for the money so to speak. Jayco rep did not like I wasn't buying his unit, he's convinced it's worth the $4K more. Going to dealer tomorrow to begin negotiations. It is funny how many TTs are 30'+ and don't have additional sleeping accommodations without having to convert couch/dinette.
2003 GMC 1500HD 4X4 6.0 3:73 Diablo tuner
mattb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:19 PM   #9

I had the 2306 w/murphy bed for two seasons and loved it. That Murphy bed made the camper feel huge inside. However, the wife wanted to start bringing the dog along ($20/night in the kennel was killing us) and there was just no extra space for him. Perfect for our family of four, however.
The mattress was comfortable enough by itself, but we went with a 3" standard queen memory foam on top of the stock mattress... It had zero effect on closing the Murphy bed and it let you buy standard queen sheets (deep pocket queen if you add the memory foam). We loved the night stands (with outlets) on both side of the bed... Wished our new one had it.
I just can't imagine anyone say "hate that Murphy bed." I have yet to hear a single complaint.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 12-30-2014, 07:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiecowboy View Post
Craigster,

Did you have to upgrade the mattress with a foam topper, and would it affect the closing of the bed?

I hadn't thought about the bed having to be in the stored position when the slide is closed, but I guess that is not a big deal. (Unless the slide breaks).
okie,

haven't done any upgrades yet, just took possession and it went right to winter storage but it sounds like its not a problem from other posts. I have to say that I never thought to check if the bed could be down when the slide was in but it sounds like it has to be in the stored position. I wonder if there is room for the sofa to fold down with the slide in?

craig
craigster_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:15 AM   #11

I have never tried, but I would expect the sofa could be folded down flat with the slide in.

We also added a memory foam topper to the mattress and it didn't affect anything with storing the bed. Actually, my wife put some "cling" type pictures in the wall and the thickness of the topper actually helps to keep those in place

Old 01-01-2015, 07:23 PM   #12

We have a 2504s that we took delivery on in October and we love it. The sofa will not fold down with the slide in, the mattress is very confortable without a topper but we already had one so we put it on. No problem closing the Murphy bed. As a matter of a fact it seems to close and lock easier. We just got back from a trip to the lake after Christmas and had 6 people and a 75 lb dog, one night. Not something I would want to do for more than a night but we were all comfortable. I still think the 2504 is a great design.
Charliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:30 PM   #13

After touring the PGH RV show today, the wife and I couldnt be happier with the 2504s. It is not what we were specifically looking for, but once we saw it, we loved it. We are first time RVers, so we have the same concerns as most and didnt want to get in over our heads. I couldnt get over how open it felt inside for a 25'. I also agree, the bathroom is full size. An adult could easily get changed in there. The only real downside we found was the limited outside storage space. However, it did have a lot more cabinet space then some larger TTs had. We are excited and cant wait to get it! Now we just need spring to get here!
ACTKE2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:19 PM   #14

We have been thinking about hybrids, and now are considering a 2104S - with the Murphy bed. We have some questions, though, and because they are so hard to find at a dealership, thought we'd ask here. How heavy are the Murphy beds? And, with the bed up and the slide in, can you still get inside to reach the 'fridge and the bathroom?

(We'd think about a longer one, but one of the places we love to go here in SE Arizona has a 22' limit in the campground.)
AshnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:53 PM   #15

When we started looking we wanted one with a Murphy bed. But, when we thought more about it, we realized that we go to bed and wake up at different times, so having a separate bedroom would suit us better. We then looked at one with a large rear bath (sink and shower in one room with toilet and linen closet in the other). The problem with that was if we have others traveling with us, we could not get around the sleeper sofa to get to the bathroom at night. We would have to go out one door and enter the bathroom through the other side door. Doable, but not so fun in the rain! And, the bed was just partitioned off with a curtain, and the TV was on the thin wall at the foot of the bed. We then found a model with a large bath between the living and bedrooms. Problem solved! Privacy and more quiet. I am not saying to avoid a Murphy bed. What I am saying is to take the time to really think about how you function and what your needs are so you select the right one for you. I constantly read about individuals having a new unit for a year or two and then upgrading. Not a financially sound move.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:00 PM   #16

Thanks, CampingGator. You're right - it's worth spending some time thinking about.

We do camp with other families, but in our camper, it's just us, and that's not likely to change unless there's an emergency at the site - in which case, for one night, someone can bunk on the dinette. However, that's never happened even with our PUP, and we've been camping with that for 10+ years.

What we want is something that will be easy - weight-of-bed-wise - for the next 10 years or so, and that we can use for one night at a time. Our PUP takes us 2 hours up and another 2 down, and that's more than we want do do for one night out. We also want something in which we can entertain - we do have other couples over for drinks/dinner, and so we definitely want a couch.

I don't mind the Murphy bed 'cause the bedding can stay intact when it goes up. I just need to know if, when the bed is up and the slide is in, I can get to the fridge or the bathroom. :-)

AshnJim
2008 Ford F-150 super cab
Rockwood Highwall 276
Old 01-24-2015, 08:28 PM   #17

Ashnjim.

The Murphy bed is on Pistons, very light and easy to move up and down, and yes, with the slide in (at least in the 2504s) you can get past the slide to the fridge and bathroom

Old 01-25-2015, 10:33 AM   #18

Thanks, Semperfi24 - this is just what we wanted to know. In fact, before we saw this post, we were just wishing the beds (in the hybrids, for example) were hydrolic or something to make them easier to lift. Good to know the Murphy beds are! :-)

Our next question is whether there's an alternative to the slide's motor -- is there a way to extend it manually, just in case something goes wrong with the motor?
Old 01-26-2015, 10:17 PM   #19

Ashnjim,

We just purchased a 2104s. Love it so far. Access to fridge and bathroom is tight with slide in. I can slip in to bathroom, but I have to really suck it in. I'm about 5' 11" 175 lbs. it's tight. Same way with fridge. I can get a soft drink through the opening, but I don't think you could squeeze a half gallon of milk through it. And you can't really see in to the fridge. You just have to feel around and grab. You could always take the slide out a few inches if needed. I assume it will run off battery power. Murphy bed is great, but my wife can't lift it.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:03 AM   #20

We have a 2304s and it's great. I'm 5'2", without a lot of reach and can raise and lower the Murphy bed with a little effort. When the slide is in, we can get through to the bathroom and fridge easily. Should the slide motor fail, there is a crank that will operate it.
smithmetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed