Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #1

Murphy bed release

Anyone else having trouble with the Murphy bed release? We are on our first trip with our mini lite 2306. Every time I put the bed up the release is more difficult to get it to release. Almost to the point I can't pull hard enough to release it. Seems something may be binding but I can't figure out how to remedy the problem.
Cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #2

Keep pulling the cord will break. I disengaged mine with a tie wrap. After mine broke took it to a dealer, They put a strap on the release bar. I feel that safty feature is not needed. The weight of the bed is not going to fold up. That is my imput for what it's worth. Good luck
104duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #3

I agree that it is a useless feature. I will try your solution.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #4

Six weeks after buying our 2013 Mini Lite 2306 the handle pulled off the cable. The thing got harder and harder to pull. Told the wife " this thing is going to break soon" sure enough two weeks later it did.

Is this just a safety latch or does it put a "jack stand" under the head of the bed to distribute weight when the bed is down???

Looked back there with a mirror. Is that tubular bar necessary. Do I dare pull the cable and secure it with a cable tie forever??!!!
Netcomdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #5

We just returned from 9K miles, 3 mo summer trip,with all locks on murphy unlocked both up and down and never had a problem.
104duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #6

Thanks for everyone's answers to my posts on the Murphy beds release. I'm going to just pull the cable tight and cable tie it that way. Towards the end it took two of us to fold up the bed. One person to pull and hold the handle pulled while the other person folded up the bed. Love the camper but this was a stooped safety feature.
Netcomdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #7

We too had the same problem and I eventually pulled the handle off the first week in to our two month trip to AK. The only thing I could think of to do was tie the "support" back in the closed position. Have not had a problem since with 50 days of use. When I took the unit in for some warranty work and winterization the other day I asked what the support bar was for. They really did not know.
Bikeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #8

Hi Did you wind up putting the cable tie on your Murphy Bed? How did it work out? we re going to have to do something like that. Can you tell us what you did in order to make it work? thank you so much

Our "Fur Kid" Roxie the smiling doxie is so amazing !
gobblertales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #9

Murphy Bed

when I had the unit in for service this Fall the dealer sawcI had the bed cable tied back with string so they put a zip tie on it. The only reason for the support bar is to prevent the bed from tipping if a heavy person was to get on the head of the bed. I am 6'4 and 200 lbs. and we have had no problem. I meant support bar not bed cable above.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #10

Since we are having a really bad problem with pulling the cable to get the bed to go up we wanted to see what we could do to alleviate this. Is it just a matter of pulling the cable to get the bar to release? Then tie it with a cable ? I have seen the support bar with the cable attached but have not seen what it does when you pull the cable. So not sure, how or where you would put a zip tie on it. Don't mean to sound stupid but not sure where you would put a zip tie. Presuming i would have my husband pull the cable to release the bar and then I would zip tie it somewhere? thanks for any help. I don't see my husband who is 6'2 and 200 lbs. sitting on the head of the bed so this would be a great help. I am disabled so when my husband isn't around I can't pull the release. BUT once the release is done I am able to push the bed up in position. thanks for any other description. Sorry … but it would be a great help thank you

Old 11-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #11

I did this some time ago but as I recall there is a bar at the head of the bed that releases the latch. I just manually released the latch by hand and tied it with a small piece of rope to keep the latch from fastening.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #12

It has been 5 months since I tied the bar back against the front wall of the trailer and i cannot remember exactly how I did it. All I had at the time was a piece of strong string and I just wrapped it around the bar and the front of the trailer where it is held in the closed position. I had to lay on the bed while it was down and pull the bar out from under the bed and hold it in the closed position while I tied it back. My handle had come off the cable so just ignored the cable and set it aside. Sorry it cannot be more descriptive but the trailer is in storage now as we have snow on the ground!
Old 11-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #13

Hmmm, my 2014 2306 doesn't have this that I know of. I guess they decided to leave it off. This locked the bed in the down position, right?
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #14

thank you so much!! appreciate your help!!!