Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #1

Murphy Bed Squeak Fixed !

The mystery of the Murphy Bed squeak (or creak) has been solved. We found the culprit by accident. When the Murphy bed is in the up position I noticed a pinkish strip of plastic that runs just along where the hinges are. I noticed the plastic on the left side was not exactly like the that on the right side. I touched it and it made a noise. I pushed on it and it creaaakkked. Looking closer we saw that there were indentations like a staple gun was supposed to put in a staple but misfired. Anyway to make a long story short we took short tack nails and tacked this strip down and 95% of the creak/squeak sound was gone. We have decided to look into removing it and putting a felt strip there. Anyway showing a photo of the culprit area. Ahhhh peace and quiet at last.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0068.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	43380  

Our "Fur Kid" Roxie the smiling doxie is so amazing !
gobblertales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #2

Thats interesting, our 2011 murphy bed does mot have that strip just bare metal.

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #3

We are just thankful we found out what was going on. We were going to have to either take it to a warranty dealer and figured replacement of the boards of the bed or something like that. It never dawned on us that it was this piece. I just sounded like the lower board (below the seam). We are kind of amazed that this thing cold have been so loud a creak/squeak! We are going to remove the plastic and put on a strip of felt over the aluminum (Forest River Rep said there was aluminum just like you are describing). I guess they thought the plastic looked better??? Haven't seen the aluminum so not sure about that. We are just happy to have accidentally found out what caused it. LOL

Old 12-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #4

You know, you cant really see it, our squeak came from the board being too tall and rubbing on bed when down,we just planed it down little, glad you found it little things like that can drive you crazy!

108 days camped 2013
Old 12-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #5

My hubby was only slightly irritated by the squeak/creak. He has a mild hearing loss so
couldn't hear it as much as me LOL. Glad you found your squeak too. We have a water pressure problem in the kitchen sink which we are going to check on (check the screen filter) tomorrow but beyond that we are so happy with this 2306. We have found a guy that made our dog ramps (our mini dachshund) for home and he is making a special one
that will go next to the murphy bed for her. She hates us having to lift her up and down. She is used to the ramps and can't figure out what the heck is going on ! So once we have that we are pretty much complete !! Holler if ya'll ever get Florida way! We had lived in Texas for a number of years and did some hunting up in Oklahoma but over by Enid. Great trips.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #6

We recently went to Pensacola Big Lagoon State Park, loved it and loved Fl. definatly will be back!

108 days camped 2013

Tags
bed