Old 12-10-2015, 11:11 AM   #1
Musty/Woodsy Smell

Ever since I bought my RV 2 years ago, there has been a musty/woodsy smell on clothes placed in the shelf area of the wardrobe slide and in the cabinets over the bed. It takes about 2 to 3 weeks for the clothes to pick up the smell. I thought about mold, but have searched and searched and everything is "bone dry" and no signs of any mold. I always thought it was from the wood used in the construction and that it would eventually go away. It hasn't. Has anyone else experienced the same thing?
Thanks in advance.

2014 Ford F250 Lariat
2014 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280 WS
Louisiana before, fulltiming since April 11, 2014
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:27 AM   #2
AKA: 'tiredTeacher
"Musty" sounds bad, "woodsy" sounds good. Boat makers solve this issue by ventilating storage areas. It sounds as if your nose is sensitive to the smell your trailer emanates. My trailer has a distinct odor that stored fabrics pick up. It comes from adhesives, finishes and laminates used in construction. IMHO, it will be a loooong time before your trailer goes "neutral."
Solution? 1) Live with it and don't be concerned. 2) Substitute a smell you can tolerate with scented oils, sprays (such as Febreeze) or other similar product.

Wright and Penny
Richmond, Va.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
I go RV'ing not Camping
You could also trying putting bounce sheets in the storage areas, that may help some
312QBUD Owners Thread
2015 Wildwood Heritage Glen 312QBUD
2000 Chev 2500 Extended Cab 6 Liter
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
Site Team
You can also try zeolite. This stuff got rid of really bad odors in my old trailer and helped get rid of the formaldehyde smell when we bought the fiver.
<a href= target=_blank></a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote