Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2016, 04:32 PM   #1

My 2504S

Hello new to the TT scene but looking forward to enjoying our new '17 2504S this weekend for our first trip. We upgraded from a 1976 Apache hard side pop up so a lot of learning to do! Looking forward to all the future adventures. The forum looks like it has tons of helpful info. I am sure I will be asking a lot of questions in the near future. Anything to look out for before our first trip? We seem to be missing our lock slide does someone have a picture of this? He is a quick pic. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1473197514.930593.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	119574
Eclipse1825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:54 PM   #2

hidee ho

Hello and welcome from northern Arizona! Congrats on the new rig; you should really enjoy it! Slide lock? I know larger rigs come with them but I haven't seen them on smaller rigs like ours (our 25' FR Surveyor doesn't have one). If it were me, I wouldn't worry about it, just make sure the slide is brought in to where you know the motor can't bring it in anymore. Just enjoy getting to know your new toy the first couple of trips and then worry about modifications or whatnot. But, be sure to make sure the water heater has water in it BEFORE turning on the ELECTRIC switch! (your on/off switch might be outside in the water heater cabinet, the little black switch under the wires down low). That's a hard to lesson to learn as some of us have as the electric heating element will burn up in seconds with no water in it. A good modification at a later time if that's the case is installing an interior gas/electric switch so you can leave the switch on all the time at the water heater and use the inside switch for on/off. There's several posts on that mod here, just search. Anyway, have fun!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08152015 089E.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	119577  

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport 25'
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi quad cab
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt1655 View Post
Hello and welcome from northern Arizona! Congrats on the new rig; you should really enjoy it! Slide lock? I know larger rigs come with them but I haven't seen them on smaller rigs like ours (our 25' FR Surveyor doesn't have one). If it were me, I wouldn't worry about it, just make sure the slide is brought in to where you know the motor can't bring it in anymore. Just enjoy getting to know your new toy the first couple of trips and then worry about modifications or whatnot. But, be sure to make sure the water heater has water in it BEFORE turning on the ELECTRIC switch! (your on/off switch might be outside in the water heater cabinet, the little black switch under the wires down low). That's a hard to lesson to learn as some of us have as the electric heating element will burn up in seconds with no water in it. A good modification at a later time if that's the case is installing an interior gas/electric switch so you can leave the switch on all the time at the water heater and use the inside switch for on/off. There's several posts on that mod here, just search. Anyway, have fun!!

Thanks for the heads up on the water heater. Yeah it has a place for the lock and a warning about removing it before moving slide. I called the dealer and the are going to give me one. I can't wait until this weekend!
Old 09-06-2016, 09:59 PM   #4

On my 2504s it came with a slide lock but I have never used it. I found the bunk ladder under the mattress of the bottom bunk. As to the hot water heater, I turn off the circuit breaker and the outside switch and the switch on the panel. When I hook up to a water supply, I bleed out the air using the relief valve lever. Then I turn on the outside switch. It is very easy to flip the wrong switch on the panel, allready happened twice! Good luck and happy camping! Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
On my 2504s it came with a slide lock but I have never used it. I found the bunk ladder under the mattress of the bottom bunk. As to the hot water heater, I turn off the circuit breaker and the outside switch and the switch on the panel. When I hook up to a water supply, I bleed out the air using the relief valve lever. Then I turn on the outside switch. It is very easy to flip the wrong switch on the panel, allready happened twice! Good luck and happy camping! Jay

Jay,

Thanks for the tips on the water heater. We have the ladder also and it came with the grill. Any other tips or things I need to look for the first time out?
Old 09-07-2016, 08:35 AM   #6

One thing that I read here is most people don't use the water filter that comes with the unit. I guess they have a bad habit of comming unscrewed and leaking all over the inside of the camper. Take out the three screws on the right side of the compartment next to the water heater. I took delivery in Feb, so the filter wasnt in the canister. The canister however was falling off the wall! I resecured it with new screws. Some have deleted the filter and put a jumper in its place. One person set up a bumper mount and a short hose to use outside the unit. I would recommend that you at least take the panel off and put duct tape around the filter and housing so it can't come unscrewed going down the road. Easy to do and then no worrys until you figure out a long term solution that you like. The memory of our first Campout is still fresh in my mind. I know how excited you must be. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:17 AM   #7

2504S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse1825 View Post
Hello new to the TT scene but looking forward to enjoying our new '17 2504S this weekend for our first trip. We upgraded from a 1976 Apache hard side pop up so a lot of learning to do! Looking forward to all the future adventures. The forum looks like it has tons of helpful info. I am sure I will be asking a lot of questions in the near future. Anything to look out for before our first trip? We seem to be missing our lock slide does someone have a picture of this? He is a quick pic. Attachment 119574
happy owner of 2504S. lots of storage for the size. can sleep 6 if needed. One thing I would suggest is to drive it around in the rain and check for water getting in under the slide out, this happened to me recently and of course its out of warranty
few of my mods:
1. mounted power management in storage bay
2. slide out drawers in pantry
3. added fireplace
4. made magazine rack
5. outdoor sink that connects to outdoor shower hose
Also changed out thermostat, added blue streak toilet sanitizer, removed drawer under sofa, remove on-board water filter, added mounting track on end of sink base to use outside grill table as counter extension

have fun,

craig
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	surge02.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	119618   Click image for larger version

Name:	mod_cabinet_drawer.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	119619   Click image for larger version

Name:	mod_fireplace.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	119620   Click image for larger version

Name:	mod_magazinerack.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	119621   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper_kitchen.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	119622  

Old 09-08-2016, 12:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
One thing that I read here is most people don't use the water filter that comes with the unit. I guess they have a bad habit of comming unscrewed and leaking all over the inside of the camper. Take out the three screws on the right side of the compartment next to the water heater. I took delivery in Feb, so the filter wasnt in the canister. The canister however was falling off the wall! I resecured it with new screws. Some have deleted the filter and put a jumper in its place. One person set up a bumper mount and a short hose to use outside the unit. I would recommend that you at least take the panel off and put duct tape around the filter and housing so it can't come unscrewed going down the road. Easy to do and then no worrys until you figure out a long term solution that you like. The memory of our first Campout is still fresh in my mind. I know how excited you must be. Jay

Thanks for the info! I will have to look into that.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigster_mi View Post
happy owner of 2504S. lots of storage for the size. can sleep 6 if needed. One thing I would suggest is to drive it around in the rain and check for water getting in under the slide out, this happened to me recently and of course its out of warranty
few of my mods:
1. mounted power management in storage bay
2. slide out drawers in pantry
3. added fireplace
4. made magazine rack
5. outdoor sink that connects to outdoor shower hose
Also changed out thermostat, added blue streak toilet sanitizer, removed drawer under sofa, remove on-board water filter, added mounting track on end of sink base to use outside grill table as counter extension

have fun,

craig

Very nice upgrades! What do you mean water under the slide? Like drive it around then put the slide out to see if it is wet?
Old 09-08-2016, 12:32 PM   #10

I've had no issue with the water filter just make sure it's tight and clicks into place. Enjoy your Rockwood!

2015 F150 Ecoboost 3.55
2016 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8289WS
Reese 16K Pro Series

"Time Camping Isn't Spent, It's Invested"

2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost / 3.55 Max Tow Package
2018 Rockwood Windjammer 3029V
Equal-i-zer Hitch 12K

"Time Camping Isn't Spent, It's Invested"
Codz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #11

2504s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse1825 View Post
Very nice upgrades! What do you mean water under the slide? Like drive it around then put the slide out to see if it is wet?
thank you!

yes, drive around when there is water on the road. It appears they installed too short of a wiper/seal on the bottom so when the slide is pulled in it does not contact the underside of the slide and water from the tires is coming in but you must put the slide out when you stop to see it because the carpet on the leading edge of the slide traps it underneath so if you just open the door and look in all appears fine.

craig
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	slide02.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	119712  
Old 09-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #12

My 2504S

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigster_mi View Post
thank you!

yes, drive around when there is water on the road. It appears they installed too short of a wiper/seal on the bottom so when the slide is pulled in it does not contact the underside of the slide and water from the tires is coming in but you must put the slide out when you stop to see it because the carpet on the leading edge of the slide traps it underneath so if you just open the door and look in all appears fine.

craig

No rain this trip. I will have to remember and check this out when it does.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:15 AM   #13

The first trip went off without a hitch! The weather was perfect and the view was not bad either! Love this new camper!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1473693271.722981.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	120004Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1473693312.674204.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	120005
Old 12-04-2016, 11:00 AM   #14

Our 2504s arrives this week! We plan on towing it with our armada. How did towing go?
dr. troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. troy View Post
Our 2504s arrives this week! We plan on towing it with our armada. How did towing go?

Our 04 pulled it great with a wdh.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:23 PM   #16

Does anyone know if this "water under the slide" issue has been rectified in the 2017 model?
Sherri2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:16 PM   #17

This will only be my second post to the forum so hopefully its ok to add questions to a thread rather than start a new one. The wife and I have decided on the 2504s as well, looking to buy in March, any other pros/cons regarding that specific trailer from the owners??? Family of four, F-150 to tow....we may bring the pug too lol.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:18 PM   #18

Water leak

I had the water leak under the slide on our 2604WS.
What is the fix for that?
disenberg13 is offline   Reply With Quote