Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESCUBADOC View Post
shout out to "PHONE DUDE"
how in the name of GOD did you get the pin box to drop????
pullled the cotter pin, loosened the nut, and sprayed almost a can of BLASTER in there,,,,short of a grenade it ain't budging,,,can reach me at
thescubadoc@gmail.com
Last year it was a bear, I could not budge it. I hooked it to the truck with the castle nut unscrewed to the bottom of the spindle. Pulled the rv out to have room to get the trailer 90º to the truck and sprayed WD40 thru the straw into the pad and spindle area. 90º in the other direction same thing. Several zig zags and back to 90º and more spray. Backed into it's slot, unhooked from the truck and was able to move it with a 3' pry bar. Removed the emergency brake switch and moved it with the bar spraying WD. Eventually the pin box started down the shaft and rested on the half way threaded castle nut. I did not remove it last year but should have. I cleaned and lubed as best I could and used the castle nut to get it back together and torqued the nut to 80'#. When finished I was able to move it by hand.

This year I was still able to move it some. Unscrewed the castle nut leaving it on by a couple threads. Using the same rotate and spray method as last year it came down to the nut much easier. set 4"x4"s on the tailgate of the truck, removed the nut and worked it till it come off the spindle. Much less work and time compared to last year. It really got a much better cleaning and lube this year. Next year will should be real easy.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:52 AM   #22

thanks

I'll just have to buy some more WHEATIES you'd think some BRAIN TRUST engineer would have thought of a better way to get it off !!!
Old 02-10-2017, 07:58 PM   #23

Quote:
I'll just have to buy some more WHEATIES you'd think some BRAIN TRUST engineer would have thought of a better way to get it off !!!
When rust, corrosion & dirt get hold of it it's a job getting the elements to let go. Determination will get it done.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:22 PM   #24

Jeez

4 hours later and lots of curse words, the job is done! could NT get the pin box off by "walking it down" had to go around in clrcles ( about 30 times) to get it off the CASTLE NUT seems like this thing was designed by 4 Gorillas in a bar after they had tied one on cleaned it all up loaded it with Lithium grease and returned the castle nut torued to 80 and set the cotter pin.....works just fine now !!! this is going to be an annual ritual for sure NEVER do I want to wrstle with this puppy again !!!
Old 02-12-2017, 09:06 AM   #25

Quote:
4 hours later and lots of curse words, the job is done! could NT get the pin box off by "walking it down" had to go around in clrcles ( about 30 times) to get it off the CASTLE NUT seems like this thing was designed by 4 Gorillas in a bar after they had tied one on cleaned it all up loaded it with Lithium grease and returned the castle nut torued to 80 and set the cotter pin.....works just fine now !!! this is going to be an annual ritual for sure NEVER do I want to wrstle with this puppy again !!!
Glad you got it done. No telling how many out there are in that same shape. Did your spindle and plates resemble the pictures I had taken?
Old 02-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #26

Thumbs down

yes they did perhaps a little worse,,,,great idea on the revolution, needs a little common sense in the engineering department Anf you're 100% right must be thousands out the with the same problem the spindle needs lube, etrailer just says to lubricate the friction plates,,,

wrong !!!
Old 02-12-2017, 06:38 PM   #27

Quote:
yes they did perhaps a little worse,,,,great idea on the revolution, needs a little common sense in the engineering department Anf you're 100% right must be thousands out the with the same problem the spindle needs lube, etrailer just says to lubricate the friction plates,,,

wrong !!!
A closer tolerance between the spindle and bushing, some type of seal system top and bottom of the bushing and a grease zerk fitting in the middle would be nice.

Tags
maintenance