Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2018, 04:00 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus1107 View Post
***Can you please tell me how/where the button I click on this main page is so I can post my own question on a issue.. Would would think it would be plain as day & say “Post a question”. I am lost here..
Go up to the green bar, chose Forums, find the forum you want, click on it. You'll get a long list of threads. Go to the bottom of the list and there's a green button that says "New Thread."

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:42 PM   #42

Locking mechanisms on E-pro 12rk kitchen

Does anyone else feel the way I do about the locking mechanisms on the kitchen door on the this unit? They are really cheap and Mickey Mouse! I've actually a couple of them come loose and fall off even after tightening them up agan with a screwdriver; fortunately, they fell inside the kitchen so I didn't lose the lock and screw pieces.

I finally decided to ask my husband to install me an alternate lock on the unit and so far that seems like it's going to do the trick. I can't figure out why Forest River wouldn't come up with better locking mechanisms than they did. I have written to them, but no response.

Bev
Bev4banff53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:17 PM   #43

Thanks everybody - I have enjoyed hearing about your experiences. Echo much of ours, having our 12rk since May. We too have a new upgraded inverter, and that works well. I do have a question that some of your experience might shed light with: Went camping in 30 C. degree temperatures (is that in the 90's F?). Could bake bread with the kitchen closed, due to fridge heat. That also probably made the fridge work doubly hard, and so more quickly drain the battery. Has anyone vented the kitchen so that the fridge heat can be shed while the door is closed?
Pat
Pat 12rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:29 PM   #44

I have not vented the kitchen area but did notice the fridge runs pretty much all day in temps over 100 deg. F. I upgraded the system to 2 Type 24 deep cycle batteries, barely fit but with some trimming will go in. In addition, I added a meter to monitor the system draw in terms of amps. The fridge when it initially kicks on draws about 65 amps, then drops to about 25 amps until the fridge cools down to temp. Then it draws about 3 amps to maintain it. With the one battery on a good day I could get about 3 hours of use. Installed solar and on a good day got about 6 hours of use.

With the dual batteries and solar set up, I ran the fridge for 11 hours with no real battery loss on a sunny 100 deg. F day. I bought this trailer because of the solar option and I do a lot of dry camping in areas where other people won"t or don't go. 3 hours of battery life was not going to cut it and I did not want to run the Genny all day. So far the dual battery set up and a 100W solar panel has easily trippled the time for dry camping.

Hope that helps
Oregon Outback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:43 PM   #45

Thanks Oregon Outback. My service man questioned if venting would be a good idea, speaking of increased air pressure in the back end, and possible dust and dirt entering the kitchen. Will probably upgrade battery, as you have done. Or, just wait for cooler weather? Not sure if I will vent, but we like to off-grid camp too, and fridge life matters.
Pat 12rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:11 AM   #46

Just an update on the dual battery/solar upgrade. Dry camped over the weekend at my daughters house, fridge ran all day, battery only got down to 12.65v with 100 Watt solar panel in direct sunlight all day, clear day no clouds. Fridge ran all night long no issues with just battery power, 12.5v when I woke up in the morning, but never shut off once. Once the fridge cools, it only draws about 1.5 -2.0 amps so the solar easily keeps up.

I also watched a 2 hour movie the night before just on battery power and the fridge worked flawlessly. Only thing I don't like about this unit is the plugs do not work on battery power, so considering adding a plug from the current inverter for the fridge just to charge phones and other computer items.

Going out again this weekend, gonna fry camp even though I will be at a state park, want to do some more testing on the solar set-up. So far happy with the upgrade. If full sunny days could probably go a week or more dry camping if I manage my power appropriately.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:09 PM   #47

Jeep owner too

Just bought me one to tow behind my 2018 wrangler 2dr for same reason as you
I pick it up this Friday from dealer and heading straight out camping with it any advance tips you can give will be greatly appreciated
Like your awning if you can give me more info on it would like to copy you
I also bought the Rockwood version graphics yup lol
Any help appreciated thanks in advance you can pm me or post here if pm will give you my contact info
Ddonaldk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:03 PM   #48

Can you tell me how to do the solar option I’m picking my unit up Friday want to get solar for it what all will I need to buy panels invertor wiring ???? Dealer had no clue what to tell me
Old 08-23-2018, 06:41 AM   #49

I don’t know what happened to the guy that started the thread? I messaged him a while back with no response.

I don’t have solar yet but I have boondocked with mine and have never had a problem with it running out of power. But I was moving locations everyday and I had a second battery installed which I recommend. I was running the fridge (off of the new 700watt inverter), some string lights and then charging two phones at night and running a 12v fan. I don’t think the batteries ever even went to half charge. I would like to know about solar but that is my experience. A second battery helps a lot.

I put an ARB 2000 awning on mine. The way I did it required no drilling into the unit. I made a Z shaped piece of aluminum to slide under the piece of molding on the top corner and then attached my awning to the aluminum Z. That piece of molding has screws every 5” that I believe go into the framing. And I did get some drawings from Forest River that confirm that. I just drove about 2500 miles with it with no problems. I may detail it on another post or you can message me for more questions. Honestly the piece is something a local sheet metal shop could make in about 15 minutes.

I tried to post some pics with no luck but there is a FB group that my pics are on and there is help on there too. Flagstaff EPro and Rockwood Geo Pro or something to that effect.
Tinbender75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:44 AM   #50

Solar

For the solar, mine came pre-wired for solar, which basically means they installed an SAE plug on the side of the trailer and ran some wires to the fuse block to the battery. I bought one 100W solar panel with an installed regulator, and an adapter to the SAE plug. Basically just plug it in and the regulator does the rest.

I installed a power monitor which was pretty basic if you have any mechanic ability at all. It helps monitor power use, and battery strength. If your unit did not come prewired, you can simply attach a dongle to the batteries that is accessible and plug in there instead of the pre-wired plug. My solar panel is not attached to the rig at all, it folds up in a carrying case, this allows me to relocate if necessary for best results.

I am heading out for some camping over Labor day, I will take some pictures and update the post.

Hope that helps some.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:42 AM   #51

I think I'm going to get a 12SRK.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:04 AM   #52

Indypup
Do it. Looks like a great unit with the sofa, furnace , solar etc. What will you be towing this with?
Tom
Old 04-13-2019, 01:41 PM   #53
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcarey View Post

Also do you know the difference between the Geo Pro G12RK and the E-Pro E12RK?
Nothing except outside graphics and interior decor. Made on the same assembly line.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:20 PM   #54

12RK awning

Hi all. I have a 2016 GeoPro 12RK. I wanted an awning very bad when I first got my GeoPro. I finally found a six foot bag awning online and it fits great. You mount the bead rails at the top of the wall and the awning slides into the rail. A small screw on each end keeps it from sliding out. Works good. Just for your info, the bag was the 6 ft. Classic Bag Awning and the dealer was Interwest Sports in Utah. I dealt with Craig Garlick. It was around $150 and I had it installed for around $100 at my RV dealer. It weighs about 25#, I have to be careful of my overall tow weight. Also, for anyone who might be on the edge of buying a 12RK, my '05 Honda Element (rated for 2000# max) pulls it like a dream. A Champion 2800 Watt Quiet Generator (56 decibels) with remote (no going outside to start it up!) runs both heat systems and the A/C great for about $850 from Electric Generators Direct. One last thing -if you're still with me- I found a small (roughly 12" cube) instant hot water heater that runs off small one pound camp-stove propane bottles, a 12v plug for the pump and D cell batteries for the auto gas igniter. The pump draws from a bucket and gives real hot water instantly. For the DC power I use my Celestron Power Tank. It is a Costway Gas Water Heater from Amazon. Mine works great! I see they are now $199.99. Overall this is a great set up for someone like me who likes to camp outdoors but still have some comforts.
markmknc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:14 AM   #55

Hi all! My wife and I purchased a GeoPro RK12 in June 2020 and pulled it 9,000 miles in July and August behind a Subaru Forester! We traveled in our own Covid free bubble and loved it. We sure learned a lot on our trip and would like to share what worked great and what wasn't so great.
Our RK12 does not have the AC unit. We have a fan mounted in the ceiling and it was terrific. The way that the camper is designed, the fan draws fresh air across you from the windows in the doors and although the days were heating up to 102 routinely, we were very comfortable. Our unit came with a heated mattress and on those evenings that got cool or even cold, that mattress kept my wife very comfortable. It was too hot for me! The mattress is really comfortable!
We found that the microwave was wasted on us. We just didn't use it and took it out giving us more kitchen storage space. We also found, like many of you, that there is very little information on these terrific little trailers. I didn't know about the inverter! I still don't know for sure that my refrigerator will run off of the batteries or if it will, for how long. That is a huge question.
I added a 20# propane tank to the tongue and enjoy not having to carry a bunch of those 1# disposable bottles for the stove.
I also made my own awnings, one for each side using parts that I purchased through www.sailrite.com and 6x8 heavy duty tarps. I had a shoe repair shop sew them for me. I spent about $200 for poles, awnings, sewing ... the works.
I bought solar panels but for us, so far, they are a waste. We traveled every day of our trip and the batteries were totally charged up by our car. We rarely stayed at any one site for more than a day, If we head off to a campground where we plan to spend some time, the panels may come in handy. Consider how you are going to use your GeoPro before adding solar panels.
Like everyone else on this forum, wherever you go, you will be noticed! The GeoPro gets so much attention. People can't believe it. If you are considering a purchase, I say go for it! Full disclosure, I am 75 and my wife 65.
tRickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 05:49 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by tRickster View Post
Hi all! My wife and I purchased a GeoPro RK12 in June 2020 and pulled it 9,000 miles in July and August behind a Subaru Forester! We traveled in our own Covid free bubble and loved it. We sure learned a lot on our trip and would like to share what worked great and what wasn't so great.
Our RK12 does not have the AC unit. We have a fan mounted in the ceiling and it was terrific. The way that the camper is designed, the fan draws fresh air across you from the windows in the doors and although the days were heating up to 102 routinely, we were very comfortable. Our unit came with a heated mattress and on those evenings that got cool or even cold, that mattress kept my wife very comfortable. It was too hot for me! The mattress is really comfortable!
We found that the microwave was wasted on us. We just didn't use it and took it out giving us more kitchen storage space. We also found, like many of you, that there is very little information on these terrific little trailers. I didn't know about the inverter! I still don't know for sure that my refrigerator will run off of the batteries or if it will, for how long. That is a huge question.
I added a 20# propane tank to the tongue and enjoy not having to carry a bunch of those 1# disposable bottles for the stove.
I also made my own awnings, one for each side using parts that I purchased through www.sailrite.com and 6x8 heavy duty tarps. I had a shoe repair shop sew them for me. I spent about $200 for poles, awnings, sewing ... the works.
I bought solar panels but for us, so far, they are a waste. We traveled every day of our trip and the batteries were totally charged up by our car. We rarely stayed at any one site for more than a day, If we head off to a campground where we plan to spend some time, the panels may come in handy. Consider how you are going to use your GeoPro before adding solar panels.
Like everyone else on this forum, wherever you go, you will be noticed! The GeoPro gets so much attention. People can't believe it. If you are considering a purchase, I say go for it! Full disclosure, I am 75 and my wife 65.
Received my 21 about month and 1/2 ago. Great TT. Came almost fully loaded. No awning. Have taken it out a few times. So far only issues, Furnace does not work, i trim piece on the interior came off and i can't get the Teton wifi to work. Goes into dealer May 11th. Hopefully all fixed before Grand Canyon trip end of may. Yes, It does get attention, once i open the back and they see the kitchen then they really take notice and the questions come. Loving it. Its been perfect for the 2 of us.

Enjoy
Still running great!
Ed from Riverside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:39 AM   #57

So far, Still loving this little gem. Great experiences every where we have traveled to date. Averaging 2-4 tours when were out and about.....

Heading out tomorrow for a 3 day weekend in the pines!

Enjoy Life!
Still running great!
Old 09-07-2021, 08:04 AM   #58

Update.....

Been taking it out at least once a month. All previous complaints handled thru Rv warranty. Been working great since. We Just finished a labor Day weekend and had a blast. No issues...
Still running great!
Old 11-20-2021, 09:50 AM   #59

Looking at making a purchase on a 2022 G12SRK. Wanted to check to see how owners are liking theirs and if any issues or regrets with the purchase.
Thanks
CamperQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:42 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperQ View Post
Looking at making a purchase on a 2022 G12SRK. Wanted to check to see how owners are liking theirs and if any issues or regrets with the purchase.
Thanks

Love it! Got my issues taking care. Been loving it. Has every thing we want and need. No regrets.
Still running great!