Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2009, 06:39 AM   #1

Mystery Electrical Part

Hi Folks,

I hooked up this weekend to head out for some father's day camping. After getting shore power disconnected and the TT hooked up, I did my walk around to make sure everything was functioning before heading out. That is when I noticed that the refrigerator was not working. That led to a troubleshooting session and I realized that I was not getting power from the battery to any part of the camper (battery was just taken off of the charger).

After crawling under my TT with a multimeter I found the problem at this point (see attached photo's). I have no idea what it is, but if I jumper it the 12V system works fine. I was hoping someone could give me the name of this part. I assume it has a function so I only jumpered to keep the fridge working and the trailer brakes during my pull down to camp. I disconnected before I connected to shore power. Any thought on what this is so I can purchase a replacement?

Jack

jwparks4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:48 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum I`m not the best with electricial parts but hang on someone will chime in to help
Old 06-22-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Gonna take a shot here, so please don't take this for gospel. Looks like either a protection fuse or diode. You need to get it off and see if there are any markings on the case. The confusing part is you said you had to jumper it to get trailer brakes. The 12V battery on the trailer should only be needed for the break-away box for the trailer brakes. Have to take a closer look at mine now. Make sure you unhook your battery before you unhook this thing to prevent any arcing.

Hope you find some numbers that will help.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:34 AM   #4

CIRCUIT BREAKER 40 AMP. Some times they go bad and have to be replaced.Here's where I got mine. I think you have to buy at least 3 @ $1.98 plus shipping.http://order.waytekwire.com/products/M37/140/250/400/11
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:39 AM   #5

When installing notice the copper stud hooks to the battery side. There are suppose to be auto reset, but being exposed somewhat to the weather they sometimes don't. If it trips nothing on the 12 volt side will work off the battery.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #6

Is this something that people should keep a spare somewhere or is it something that can be found at a local hardware or auto parts store. How rare is it to have one of these go bad?
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
* 4" MBRP exhaust
* AFE stage2 air intake kit
* Hypertech III, set on stage1
* back-up camera
* Putnam XDR class V hitch receiver
* Airlift air bags
2004 EZGO custom electric golf cart
rafcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafcar View Post
Is this something that people should keep a spare somewhere or is it something that can be found at a local hardware or auto parts store. How rare is it to have one of these go bad?
I would say it's rare,but it can happen anytime.Some rv's have a inline fuse holder off the battery and some have a circuit breaker.I think you can buy them at an auto store,but the ones I've seen had a different mounting pattern and I didn't want to be drilling new holes.That's why I order mine from the link above.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:10 PM   #8

Cat1956: That is the part. I just took it off of the frame and the markings say: "Shortstop 12/24V M45 40A" I just put 4 new ones on order.

Thanks for the quick help!

I have a 2006 - 2601 Rockwood Ultra Lite for the record since I don't have a signature built yet.
jwparks4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
Cyber Phrenologist

And there is a 1 in 10 chance a good whack with a large screwdriver handle will get it working through the weekend. If not, at least you feel better.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:45 AM   #10
Site Team

I like the way you think Wade. Sometimes you just need to give stuff a good whack whether it makes it work or not, it makes you feel better.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:19 AM   #11

Is it protected from the elements? I had one on I installed on my old Dodge van for the brake controller. it shorted out from getting wet. I replaced it and moved it inside the van.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:20 PM   #12

That's the little bugger that went bad on my V lite at about 1 1/2 months old, due to corrosion or rust. They said when my unit was delivered to the Florida dealer from Indiana, road salt may have caused this because of the winter weather. The junction block/relay on mine had a small reset button on it, but it still needed replaced from the rust. The new one has no reset button on it. There is also 2 green 30 amp fuse holders just beyond this piece for the slide out power. They are sealed closed from the weather, but if your electric slide out motors don't operate for some reason, this is probably the culprit! I have replaced one already. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:19 PM   #13

It is mounted to the frame just behind the tongue, under the camper. However; the road spray from wet roads, or wet salty roads from winter areas, could splash up there and cause a problem pretty quickly, I suppose. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, rockwood, 12 Volt