Old 06-02-2014, 12:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman99 View Post
pappcam - that is exactly where the info I provided came from.
You must be looking at the wrong page:

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:00 AM   #12
Site Team

The best way to find out exactly what you can tow is to load your truck up ready to camp with all passengers, pets, gear and full tank of fuel and go weigh it at a Cat scale. Weigh each axle on a separate scale pad so you can learn those numbers as well as overall truck weight. Take the actual truck weight and subtract it from your trucks gcwr to get your adjusted towing capacity. Take the trucks actual weight and subtract it from the truck gvwr to get your available payload. Take your rear axle weight and subtract it from the max RAWR to see how much room you have for weight on your rear axle. Understand that your loaded tongue weight (not dry tongue weight) must be less than your available payload and your loaded tt weight must be less than your adjusted towing capacity.

Understand that you will never tow a dry or unloaded tt. If this is your first tt then you have no idea how much cargo you will add (average is 1000-1500 lbs) so it is safer to calculate using tt gvwr. Ideal tongue weight is 13-15% of loaded tt weight. So if you look at worst case scenario here, you are looking 9050 lbs tt gvwr x 15% loaded tongue weight = 1350 lbs. Realistically, at best you will be at the top of the trucks capabilities. I agree with the others, it is too much tt for the truck.

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #13
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
That is a heavy trailer with a real heavy tongue. I bet close to 9000lbs ready to camp with 1100 to 1200 on the tongue.

Sent from my Samsung Note 8 Tablet using the FRF Android App!
X2 and that length of a trailer is going to feel like towing a highway billboard with the 1/2 ton...definetly will have to make sure to have stiffer sidewall tires on the truck and a great (not cheap) WD hitch setup to help with sway, etc..
Old 06-02-2014, 11:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
X2 and that length of a trailer is going to feel like towing a highway billboard with the 1/2 ton...definetly will have to make sure to have stiffer sidewall tires on the truck and a great (not cheap) WD hitch setup to help with sway, etc..
The comment from Cajun Po-Boy about towing a billboard is no joke. You really want to get your hitch setup right with that big sail behind you.

Newbies to the RV scene last spring, we bought our Windjammer 3008W and the dealer set us up with a EAZ lift WD hitch. Thinking everything was great to head home, got on the interstate and the first semi that passed us pretty much pushed us off the road just from the air coming off his rig.

I know I'm pushing the limits on my Titan with our trailer, but we've got it setup now where I feel confident pulling our Windjammer regardless how windy it gets.

Can't stress enough the importance of Sway control.

cobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:43 AM   #15

I have the same TV. You have to know all your weights to come up with the answer. But in short, that's a lot of tongue weight, and don't know if your TT weight is loaded or not, you would be close if not over possibly. My loaded TT when leaving the barn, 5,500lb with 438 tongue weight.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:49 AM   #16
Retired Trucker/43 years

I tow a 3008W with my 1/2 ton .... using properly adjusted weight distribution hitch, with 4 point sway control, I have zero issues.

As for weight distribution, have a QUALIFIED technician set it up.

I have the 12000# version of this hitch .. all is good.

Equal-i-zer® Hitch - The “American Original” with 4-Point Sway Control™ and Weight Distribution
HD 7700# tow package

Noneyerbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:57 AM   #17
Retired Trucker/43 years

As for weight allowed, my truck has the 7700# tow package. it can TOW, (gross weight, truck and trailer) up to 13,000 pounds. I have weighed it several times with different onboard loads, I have never exceeded 11,000 #'s ...... my major advise, get a GOOD brake controller for the trailer. I made the mistake of using a cheap off the shelf model, and trashed the front brakes on the truck.

I intend to install this controller before we begin our trip out west this August. (Unless someone has a better solution)

Prodigy P2 Brake Control - Cequent 90885 - Braking Controls - Camping World
HD 7700# tow package

Old 06-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #18
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneyerbusiness View Post
I tow a 3008W with my 1/2 ton .... using properly adjusted weight distribution hitch, with 4 point sway control, I have zero issues.

As for weight distribution, have a QUALIFIED technician set it up.

I have the 12000# version of this hitch .. all is good.

Equal-i-zer® Hitch - The “American Original” with 4-Point Sway Control™ and Weight Distribution
I'd say towing experience might be a factor in this one. You have over 40 years as a trucker. Who knows what the OP has. Is this their first TT? Are they upgrading from a 30 foot TT? We don't know. BTW, go P3 on the brake controller. Many menu options and ability to change display color plus a nice "boost" feature. For the $20 difference it seemed worth it to me.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #19
Retired Trucker/43 years

Well, there is that pesky truck diving thing, CLT. But I do know the setup I have works for me .. and thanks for the tip on the P3 ...
HD 7700# tow package

Old 06-12-2014, 05:20 PM   #20

We have a F150 Ecoboost with the HD package and 3.73 gears and we pull a 8310. I am pleased with the power of the Ecoboost and the amount of power to pull our trailer. Our problem has been with the hitch. We were adventurous and tried the new Andersen weight distribution hitch and it was terrible...so terrible that our dealer bought the hitch back. We installing a Blue Ox now and am anxious to pull the trailer in the near future.

Tags
hitch, weight