Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #1

Information about Lemon Law needed for Texas

We are new to the rv world, having purchased a "new" 2012 from a dealer in 2013, we have had the unit 3 months and in that three months, the a/c has malfunctioned three times....each time was told it would be 2-3 weeks before they could get to it, we would have to leave it and get a hotel room and "just wait" til they have time to fix it....do you know how hot it gets inside one of these things in Texas when it's 105 outside??? Not only has the a/c gone out, the electrical plug that attaches to the side of the rv literally melted, turned brown and had to be replaced, at our expense because they couldn't get it into the repair shop for 2-3 weeks....we feel we are sitting on a time bomb that is very dangerous...and without unlimited funds to stay in a hotel feel like there must be something we can do, the lights in the unit flickering, the dvd in the living are only shows in black and white, you can't run the a/c, refrigerator and the hot water heater at the same time, it throws the breaker and the tires are leaking air, I could go on and on about this "NEW" unit, when we tried to trade it back it to the dealer, we were told it had lost 30 per cent of it's value in 3 months, so what to do????
ladylonestar12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylonestar12 View Post
We are new to the rv world, having purchased a "new" 2012 from a dealer in 2013, we have had the unit 3 months and in that three months, the a/c has malfunctioned three times....each time was told it would be 2-3 weeks before they could get to it, we would have to leave it and get a hotel room and "just wait" til they have time to fix it....do you know how hot it gets inside one of these things in Texas when it's 105 outside??? Not only has the a/c gone out, the electrical plug that attaches to the side of the rv literally mellted, turned brown and had to be replaced, at our expense because they couldn't get it into the repair shop for 2-3 weeks....we feel we are sitting on a time bomb that is very dangerous...and without unlimited funds to stay in a hotel feel like there must be something we can do, the lights in the unit flickering, the dvd in the living are only shows in black and white, you can't run the a/c, refrigerator and the hot water heater at the same time, it throws the breaker and the tires are leaking air, I could go on and on about this "NEW" unit, when we tried to trade it back it to the dealer, we were told it had lost 30 per cent of it's value in 3 months, so what to do????
I hate to hear about this, as I always do when I read these horror stories. Even though I do most of my work on my own trailer, I also expect new stuff to perform like.....new stuff.

I did notice one thing in your list of problems. If your trailer is of the 30 amp variety (has 3 prongs on the electrical cord), then you cannot use the AC, Microwave, and electric heating element at the same time......as you are exceeding the 30 amps of your breaker.

This isn't a defect, just basic electricity......as anyone else with 30 amp trailers are also going to be in the same limitations as yourself. It's a learning curve we all go thru. You will eventually learn what you can (and can not) have on at the same time...as you cannot exceed 30 amps of 120 volt AC electricity at one time. You will need to learn to add up the amperage of each appliance (as well as the converter)

I will get you a link to read about this and will edit this post in a sec. Stay tuned.

EDIT:

http://rvservices.koa.com/rvinformat...lectricity.asp

This link shows averages of RV appliances:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...aws-17300.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #3

This may help

Texas RV Lemon Law | RV Lemon Law in TX | RV Lemon Law Texas

Please note, the website is just a front for a lawyer wanting your business but the info seems credible to me.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #4

Sorry to hear about all the troubles. Very frustrating I'm sure...

Can you give us a few details, like what model camper? Also what amperage are you connected to when the problems occurred? And where you connected to the same electric supply all three times? Camprgrounds are notorious for voltage issues.

You should be able to get some good advice here on the electrical issues, and also find some contact information for the right Forrest River division to get some support from the factory if the dealer can't get it resolved.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Your unit is under warranty so all issues should be fixed Promptly and professionally to your acceptance.
It sounds like you need a new dealer to me.
Normally lemon law only applies to repeated issues that cannot be resolved by a competent repair facility.
Altho I'm sorry to hear of your issues I believe you may be jumping the gun a little bit.

The burnt power cord was most likely caused by a bad connection at the cg power pedestal "we've" seen this before.
And is likely not a cord issue nor a fr issue but an issue of where you plugged it into.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
Site Team

One more question?

Has the dealer stated as to what is going wrong with the AC?

Not saying you have done this, but we have seen where others have plugged their RV's into a household outlet at their homes (using a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter). They then try to run their AC's in the RV even though they aren't really providing enough amps thru their household circuit to run the AC properly. This can cause the AC to burn out.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
Carknocker Family

Run your hot water heater on LP. Will help probably fix your problems. The flickering lights, melted cord ect. Do you have a surge protector or meter to check how many volts were actually at pedestal? Low volts and high amp draw will melt a plug quickly IMO. Good luck and let us have some more info when you get a chance.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
Always Learning

Like Turbo said above- I'd ditch your dealer. Try talking to Rockwood about a different service provider that can do warranty work.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #9

Thanks, we have been to various dealers who repair FR products, the large dealers all tell the same story, up to two weeks delay - we found a small dealer who could repair this in a day but FR wouldn't authorize this under the warranty because he doesn't sell this particular model, we ended up having an independent person come to replace (for the third time) the thermostat just so we could survive the over 100 degree heat here in Texas, the fan would run but not the a/c unit so it just was blowing hot air - I must say I am VERY disappointed with the (NO) support from our dealer.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Thanks, we have been to various dealers who repair FR products, the large dealers all tell the same story, up to two weeks delay - we found a small dealer who could repair this in a day but FR wouldn't authorize this under the warranty because he doesn't sell this particular model, we ended up having an independent person come to replace (for the third time) the thermostat just so we could survive the over 100 degree heat here in Texas, the fan would run but not the a/c unit so it just was blowing hot air - I must say I am VERY disappointed with the (NO) support from our dealer.
Contact forest river and have them suggest dealers in the area.
Also you have a free year of coach net which may help as well.
Remember fr does not make a lot of the components installed in there units.

http://www.coach-net.com/

Turbs
Old 09-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #11

Our dealer has pretty much ditched us....the day we went to pick up the unit, the a/c wasn't working right, the salesman said to drive it over to the service department and they could fix it while we waited - my brother-in-law had just past away and we were on our way to be with my sister - when we got to the service department at the other end of the building they just laughed, literally, told us it would be 3 weeks to get the parts to fix it....guess we should have known not to leave with it but we were in a difficult situation and trusted them to fix the a/c....
Old 09-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #12

this A/C wasn't working property when we picked it up from the dealer.....
Old 09-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
, the a/c has malfunctioned three times....
Quote:
Do you know if it has been the same problem all three times or were they different (if known)?

The reason I ask, is to see if it's something we might can help you with.

We're a lot better at solving mechanical issues than answering legal advice around here.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Understand your frustrations, sometimes it can be disheartening to spend this kind of money to even have one issue let alone multiples.
If your dealer isn't of much service it's truly in your best interest to find one that can take care of your requests.

I noticed you haven't answered a previous posters question on wether or not you had 30 amp service or 50?

And also as posted earlier you can eliminate high amp draws buy running your water heater on gas instead of electric, that alone will drop your amp usage by 9-13 amps.
Your camper is not even close to being like your home and sometimes you have to sacrifice high amp draw items that are running at the same time as other high amp items.

Turbs
Old 09-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #15

Thumbs up TX Lemon Law for Rv's

Texas Lemon Law does cover Rv's and, frankly, probably better than any other state does. In TX the lemon definition is complex though and goes like this, it's an Rv that has had 4 unsuccessful repairs when 2 occur within shorter of 1 year or 12,000 miles and other 2 occur within shorter of 1 year or 12,000 miles immediately following second repair attempt, or 2 unsuccessful repairs of a serious safety defect when 1 occurred within shorter of 1 year or 12,000 miles and other occurred within shorter of 1 year or 12,000 miles immediately following first repair, or 30 calendar days out of service within shorter of 2 years or 24,000 miles and at least 2 attempts were made within shorter of 1 year or 12,000 miles. Told you it was tough to follow. Every state has its own Lemon Law and whether your recreational vehicle or travel trailer is a lemon depends on your law and the facts of your case. Most state lemon vehicle laws don’t cover non-motorized Rv’s, travel trailers or campers, but many do cover the chassis and non-living portions of a motorized Rv. But if you have problems with any Rv or trailer, you may not be stuck. There is also a federal lemon law that can cover travel trailers and the rest of the Rv and almost all consumer purchases and it can help you too; it's called the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. Some state Rv lemon laws only cover motor homes and Rv’s purchased new and other state laws (like Ohio) can cover used or new, so you have to read your state's particular law to know what your legal rights are. Generally, all state Rv Lemon Laws cover the non-living areas and require that you return the vehicle to the manufacturer's dealer for repair attempts at least 3 or 4 times for the same defect before you can claim it is a lemon, although there are other definitions of what a lemon Rv can be in some states. If you do have a lemon Rv, then you probably have the right to chose between getting your money back or getting a replacement but you should talk to an Rv Lemon Law lawyer to find out for sure about your coach.
RvRonDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #16

Dunno guys, I've go a 2011 flagstaff.

I can run my AC and microwave at the same time with no problems. 32" TV going, DVD playing too with the AC and Micro. No problems.

My trailer is a 30A service.

Not sure about if the WH has ever kicked on while running it all though, but I have had the heat on while this was all going on a couple times.

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #17
Carknocker Family

I have tried to run the big three at once W/H, A/C, Micro and and popped the breaker in side the camper. 30 amp service. I changed over to lp on W/H and no more problems with that. Just my experience, yours may or may not be the same.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white View Post
Dunno guys, I've go a 2011 flagstaff.

I can run my AC and microwave at the same time with no problems. 32" TV going, DVD playing too with the AC and Micro. No problems.

My trailer is a 30A service.

Not sure about if the WH has ever kicked on while running it all though, but I have had the heat on while this was all going on a couple times.

X2