Old 10-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #11

You might look at Rockwood Mini-Lite 2109s (or same model in Flagstaff Micro-Lite 21FBRS)

This floor plan is nicknamed "The Big Little Trailer". Great open floor space for a smaller trailer.

You won't miss the dinette.Toss the heavy portable table the comes with it and use smaller individual folding table for those few times you need to eat inside.

A word of caution: Make sure your vehicle is adequate to tow this or any other unit you select. Plenty of folks on this site will be happy to give you towing capacity advise as well as which Weight Distribution Hitch to select, and how to set it up. Do not trust any salesman to give you the correct advise on these matters!

We have the Flagstaff 21FBRS and love it. My hitch is the Andersen No-Sway.

Old 10-11-2016, 02:15 PM   #12
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by p40whk View Post
I pull a 4500# boat with no problems with my Trailblazer but understand the effects of wind resistance on an RV.
I hate to tell you but I have read tons of posts by TB owners who have been miserable pulling a TT or hybrid.
I don't think you realize how much difference pulling one is vs pulling a boat.

The majority of those TB owners get a better tow vehicle.

Plus the short wheelbase is a big negative.

'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:20 PM   #13

We have the Rockwood MiniLite 2304 with no slides & a murphy bed. We bought with no slides for 2 reasons. Slides get cold in the off seasons & we tend to travel a lot in those seasons. No slides are lighter and our GVWR is 4800#.
Issues? If camping in one place for long periods (& lousy weather)
we really miss the slides. To walk through the trailer, the other person
must get out of the way - a real pain. We looked at the 2104 but the 2304
has 2 extra feet which is largely taken up with a pantry which is very nice
to have.
If you're looking for a MiniLite, I would look at possibly the 2304 with a
slide. I don't know where you live so don't know if cold weather is an issue
for you. We also like a permanent dinette & then with the murphy bed you
get a "couch by day" and a queen bed by night.
Another thought. The company that comes with you "sometimes" can
rent a cabin on many of the better campgrounds.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:25 PM   #14
On the road again...

My sister just went thru this same delima. She drives a Honda Ridgeline that she absolutely loves so replacing the truck in not an option. She decided on a Surveyor 191T. Had to be special ordered because they don't sell them in California. Still waiting to receive it. She really liked the way the beds pulled out front and side. This allowed for the bathroom to be in the back and not taking up valuable floor space.

One thing I do know is that whatever you decide you will end up going bigger and better within a couple of years because this whold rv world gets in your blood and you are hooked!

Let us know what you decide and happy camping!
Old 10-11-2016, 02:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I hate to tell you but I have read tons of posts by TB owners who have been miserable pulling a TT or hybrid.
I don't think you realize how much difference pulling one is vs pulling a boat.

The majority of those TB owners get a better tow vehicle.

Plus the short wheelbase is a big negative.
Yes, I have read many posts with this opinion here as well as an equal number of opposite opinions over on the TrailVoy.com forum. I've been towing since I was 16 for work as well as towing recreational vehicles for personal use so I do understand the limitations of both the TV and the person towing. This is one reason I will try to rent or find a similar unit to tow so I can make that judgement for myself.

I'm planning for my retirement and trying to eliminate my debt so upgrading my tow vehicle right now is not an option. The choice of a TT is.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMH View Post
My sister just went thru this same delima. She drives a Honda Ridgeline that she absolutely loves so replacing the truck in not an option. She decided on a Surveyor 191T. Had to be special ordered because they don't sell them in California. Still waiting to receive it. She really liked the way the beds pulled out front and side. This allowed for the bathroom to be in the back and not taking up valuable floor space.

One thing I do know is that whatever you decide you will end up going bigger and better within a couple of years because this whold rv world gets in your blood and you are hooked!

Let us know what you decide and happy camping!
MMMH, you'll have to let me know how your sister likes the 191T. I keep coming back to this model for the same reasons.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #17
Site Team

You need to look at overall surface areas. Remember you mentioned towing out west so I'm guessing this means mountains. I would go lighter than 4000 uvw as that will likely push you over in payload. I would sticker closer to 3500 lb uvw. I would also stay under 22' with such a short wheelbase vehicle. I too have been driving trailers since I was 16. I got pushed down a mountain with my old armada/TT combo. It was constant tail wagging the dog. It was far from enjoyable and downright scary. As others suggested, rent and get a good idea of how towing various sizes feels and how the living space feels. Another possible option is a small class C towing your trailblazer.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:59 PM   #18
Moderators' Assistant

I suggest you start a thread in the Hybrid section here.
Get some feedback from other hybrid owners.
I'm a hybrid owner and one feature you may not be aware of, is the Hybrid ' "turtling" ability.
You can make up the dinette and sofa to sleep on and not have to open the canvas ends.
This comes in handy for quick overnight stops, camping in bear country and bad weather.
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:06 PM   #19

I have a 2015 Salem CruiseLite that is great for me and has handled one other person on the sofa. No slide though. You are also supposed to be able to convert the dinette to sleep on as well. My TV is also a Trailblazer.

The 23 series is a bit heavier because of the slides but have you looked at them? Salem Cruise Lite Travel Trailers by Forest River RV

2015 Salem CruiseLite 241QBXL

2016 Nights Camped: 30
2015 Nights Camped: 17
MartiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:28 PM   #20

we have a Flagstaff 21 FRBS perfect fit for 2 weighs about 3900 dry but you can convert the sofa to a sleeper