Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #21

Towing with a Trailmanor

We had a 2012 Trailblazer with the V-6. We started with an A-Liner. Towed great with plenty of room for a couple. We needed more room for dogs and grand daughter. Very concerned about TT weight. We finally decided on a used Trailmanor 3023. Light weight under 4,000 lb. Sleeps 6. Hard sided, bathroom, stove/oven, small refer. Low profile when closed so easy towing. The trailblazer bogged down some on long mountain pulls be did ok. The one thing I didn't care for was the single axle (what you get on a light weight), had a blow-out once, no Fun! Another drawback is if you want to stop for lunch at rest area , you have to set it up so we decided to get a Rockwood 2304ks. However, we did replace the Trailmanor with a 2008 Lincoln Navigator.

Bottom line with the V-6 Trailblazer you will be limited. But as one post mentioned, how often will you be going with more than yourself and mabe one other person?

Good hunting, I am sure you will find the right match.
Burnking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:34 PM   #22

My 2 cents worth.

Our 1st TT was a 1977 Sunline 17 1/2SB Nice little camper for wife/me/baby. Later with 3 kids/1 dog we went to a 22ft Sunline with bunk beds. Had lots of fun also. Now kids are on their own so wife/2 dogs/myself decided to start camping again. So I picked up a nice little pop up. I really enjoyed it, but.....the wife wanted a bathroom. So I found a hybrid. Went camping,it rained,camper got very damp inside. Then came the mold. Now we have a PUMA 19fs. Love it. It has all we need plus room for guests. It has bunk beds(lower a double) a couch and a dinette.When we go we try to be outside as much as possible. Usually inside only for sleeping or getting out of the weather. So, do you want to go camping or just go some place and sit inside watching tv etc.?
floptop4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:51 PM   #23

I pulled a Roo19 with a Trailblazer for 3 years. It did OK except when I was driving into the wind or up a steep grade. Into the wind I had trouble keeping above 60mph. I got about 7mpg into the wind. I went to Great Smokey National Park and was able to do the grades there as long as I too my time.

I upgraded to a Roo23IKS and a Sierra. More space and a better tow vehicle.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:58 PM   #24

We have a MicroLite 23LB. Usually it is just my husband and myself but when the grandkids come along, the bunkbeds work out great, along with the dinette turning into a bed. We have no slide-out but it's not a problem. When camping, we stay around the fire until bedtime and back outside in the morning so we are hardly ever inside. I also cook almost every meal outside and with the awning, even in rainy weather, we are outside. So your choice really depends on how much time you want to spend inside the camper.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #25

We had a 2004 6 cylinder Trailblazer EXT with a 2004 26' Prowler (approx 4200lbs dry weight) Towing and stopping was OK but we occasionally got a Check Engine Light after towing a few hours. It was always a code due to torque control lockup not engaging. My suggestion is try to stay under 4000lbs loaded and you should be fine.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbates View Post
We have the Rockwood Mini Lite, with murphy bed, 2104S model. We really like it. It has a slide for the dinette, but the murphy bed makes it quite roomy.
I had one as well, pulled with a 2008 TB for a while. Didn't have the Murphy option on the 2014 models...wish it had. We loved the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I hate to tell you but I have read tons of posts by TB owners who have been miserable pulling a TT or hybrid.

Plus the short wheelbase is a big negative.
Sometimes I think "white knuckle" and "miserable" have a lot to do with confidence behind the wheel. That, or I have a much different definition than some people. I pulled about 4200 lbs with one. Make no mistake, it IS more of a handful than a larger longer vehicle, but nothing I would consider too much or scary. Sounds like the OP has enough experience that it shouldn't be a problem. I would strongly suggest a rear tire upgrade and a good WDH and get it dialed in for it though...makes a lot of difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnking View Post
We had a 2012 Trailblazer with the V-6.
Nope...no such animal. Came with an I-6. Torqy little thing for the size though. I'm just giving you a hard time, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archicamper View Post
I pulled a Roo19 with a Trailblazer for 3 years. It did OK except when I was driving into the wind or up a steep grade. Into the wind I had trouble keeping above 60mph. I got about 7mpg into the wind. I went to Great Smokey National Park and was able to do the grades there as long as I too my time.
That was my experience as well. Also, at least on the earlier models, the tow package didn't include a trans cooler. MUST have on this vehicle. The wind drag will really do a number on the trans temp.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:13 PM   #27

Go Used

We have a 21 Roo SS and love it. It parks in the yard, has a slide, weighs about 4500 lbs. Both ends pop out. It is like a tent, which I love.

If you buy a used trailer, and don't like it, your loss is small. If you buy new, and don't like it, you're going to take a big hit.

I have pulled trailers with underpowered vehicles for years, and finally went to a diesel Powerstroke. Wow, what a difference. It is so nice to have all the power you need, and the weight in your Tow Vehicle to easily handle emergencies, including the braking power to stop you if your trailer brakes fail.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:43 PM   #28

Since you are relatively new to camping I have one piece of advice, actually two.
1. look for and purchase a used unit at a GOOD price so you can always get your money back, or not lose too much, if you decide you don't like the floorplan.
2. Make SURE yo do a good PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) to make sure there are not some hidden flaws or gremlins that you do not notice. this can save you thousands and HUGE headaches.

Good Luck, and WELCOME!
Old 10-12-2016, 08:27 AM   #29

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
Lots of good ideas from folks !!!
A couple weekends ago at Frogtoberfest / Amana Iowa, we were parked right next to a Palomino "Palomini" and an RPod ... Both were quite impressive and might merit at least a first glance.

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:39 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_and_Abby View Post
Lots of good ideas from folks !!!
A couple weekends ago at Frogtoberfest / Amana Iowa, we were parked right next to a Palomino "Palomini" and an RPod ... Both were quite impressive and might merit at least a first glance.
I have looked at both of those units and the R-Pod is an option but I'd have to weld a rack system to the rear frame to carry some of my toys. Not something I'd prefer to do but it's an option.

I do appreciate the advice I'm getting here and yes, my goal was always to stay under 4K# fully loaded.

I'm not in a hurry to buy (although the dealer is in a hurry for me to buy!). I work about 20 minutes from Couch's RV Nation and they're the biggest R-Pod dealer in the country. Their prices are the best I've found and I've been to every dealer withing a 250 mile radius of Cincinnati.

Going to keep my options open for now and keep looking. If there's one thing this thread has done it's clarified some things for me.
p40whk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:45 AM   #31

we got our first TT at Cloerain in Cincinnati, gave us a great deal, salesman was Matt did a great job
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:40 PM   #32

We own a 2007 trailblazer that pulled our 24 foot cabin cruiser just fine. The 06-09 trailblazer makes more hp due in part to a better flowing cylinder head. The 4 wheel disc brakes on the boat trailer really helped. When we picked up our 2504s I used the trailblazer to pick it up from the dealer. BIG difference! There is a LOT more aero drag with the TT. Also got blown around more. Bottom line: 4500 lbs can be towed easily. Get a trans cooler for sure and DO NOT TOW IN OD! Use third gear. I made our 2014 Silverodo our TT tow vehicle. The truck is a little more stable because of the longer wheelbase. Hope this helps. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:48 PM   #33

I would also hit a lot of camper shows and dealers with a list of what I wanted and $$ I had. Make the list in the order of things you want most to things you want least or can live without. Take it with you and give a copy to the salesperson. I would definitely get a truck, though. You'll feel much more comfortable and in control. Also, either a crew cab, or preferably a 4door for those trips with friends. The front seat only trucks leave a lot when you can't bring many friends. Also, if you can modify your driveway/parking area, you may be able to put in a larger trailer. We have camped in all sizes of TT's and really like the bigger one with slideouts (Windjammer) and solid sides. Camped in all sorts of weather with it from 100 degrees to about 25 degrees and large storms (with a lot of blown down trees) to a foot of snow, and it has come through great. Good luck on your hunt.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:33 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfChuck View Post
I would also hit a lot of camper shows and dealers with a list of what I wanted and $$ I had. Make the list in the order of things you want most to things you want least or can live without. Take it with you and give a copy to the salesperson. I would definitely get a truck, though. You'll feel much more comfortable and in control. Also, either a crew cab, or preferably a 4door for those trips with friends. The front seat only trucks leave a lot when you can't bring many friends. Also, if you can modify your driveway/parking area, you may be able to put in a larger trailer. We have camped in all sizes of TT's and really like the bigger one with slideouts (Windjammer) and solid sides. Camped in all sorts of weather with it from 100 degrees to about 25 degrees and large storms (with a lot of blown down trees) to a foot of snow, and it has come through great. Good luck on your hunt.
Don't put how much $$ you have on the list. Keep it in your head.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:57 PM   #35

Personally, I'd consider what you need, as a single guy camping...what's important to you? Don't worry too much about the few times you may have friends camp with you--you're the one who has to live with the camper you buy, not your friends...

Having said that, considering your TV...how about an A-frame?

Good luck with your purchase.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote