Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #1

Need Help, driving myself crazy and can't decide

I don't know why I do this to myself but I want to make the right purchase for my first RV and I keep talking myself in and out of models with different features, it's literally driving me crazy!

I'm an older, single guy without a partner at the moment but really enjoy camping and I organize a trip every other year to spend three weeks out west in various national parks. We used a friends 32' toy hauler one year for that trip and I was hooked on RVing.

My problems are my storage space, tow vehicle, and trailer size limitations.
I have a Chevy Trailblazer with a 5600# towing capacity so I'm looking for an RV around or below 4000# UVW.
Even though I'm single there will be many times where I will be sharing my RV with other couples/friends.
I'd prefer not to pay for storage so my driveway is where I'll keep it so my total length is limited to around 27'
I have been looking at many of the Rockwood Mini Lite models as well as Hybrids from FR-Surveyor. Obviously with my limitations I will have to make concessions on some things but never owning an RV I'm not sure what is more important.
I can get the beds and living area with an expandable (hybrid) but I get the noise and other concerns associated with those models.
I can get the space with a Mini Lite and a slide but I'm loosing bed space (the dinette is an option).
I can get the bed space with the Mini Lite 2306 but it doesn't have a slide so living space is smaller.
I'm not sure what would be my order of importance in my decision and was hoping that some of you that have gone through these choices could offer opinions? I could solve my dilemma with a larger TV (and a larger RV) but that isn't an option for me right now.

Am I afraid of the hybrids? Yes a little for the reasons stated but I don't know anyone that's had them to give me advice on them. I really like the lay out and murphy bed option is the Mini Lite models but not sure which one would suit my needs best.

As you can see, I keep going round and round on this so please help!
p40whk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:40 AM   #2

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
You could consider renting some approximate styles / sizes and see what does and does not suit you ?

Might discover things you really like, or really dislike, before you make a final decision that is a bit more permanent than a rental or few.

Camp Driveway could be your friend in this process, as well ....

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:50 AM   #3

Many hybrid owners here will tell you that weight is the major consideration, plus with a hybrid you don't lose any living space to resting space. And how much living space do you need while camping anyway? Even if it rains, the awning protects a large area outside where you can cook, sit, watch TV, etc. before you go to sleep. Having a slide is nice if you want to sit inside and eat or play cards, or have kids that need to be entertained, but I view it as added weight that is not necessary for my style of camping.

hope this helps some

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:10 PM   #4

Jeff and Abby, Thanks for the suggestion, I'll see if renting is an option in my area.

rsdata, your reasons are exactly why I like the hybrids. My concern about space is usually in the morning and evenings when you're cooking/making coffee and getting ready for bed. The RV we took to Glacier and Yellowstone for 3 weeks had the bathroom directly behind the kitchen and bed space on either side of both. What we found was the tight aisle way between in the kitchen area was a frustrating area as you either smacked someone in the rear with the door coming out of the bathroom or you had to move away from what you were doing in the kitchen so someone could get by you.

I'm more concerned with the noise of a hybrid than anything else. Pulling over in a rest area to spend the night on a 24 hour drive would be noisy with all the road noise. This is one of the reasons I've been considering the hard sided Rockwood Mini Lites.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:12 PM   #5

You are doing this because instinctively you know that there is a risk that in practice you are likely to discover something relevant you missed being logical or by asking for advice from others.

There are only two ways, depending on how you want to bite your bullet: a) just buy your best judgment and learn by personal experience, even if you have to trade it in on another RV b) rent something equivalent and spend some time on the road. I prefer option b.

Weight and CCC may be important. The longer you stay out the more important it becomes.

Many of your problems can partially be reduce by purchasing a tv with greater capacity. Actually, purchasing a small C might be a particularly good option for you. A truck with a camper on its bed might also be very good.

I'm older as well, but married. My wife wants to get something parkable on our driveway. That is not going to happen as I believe that once we start traveling for weeks or months at a time, we will need some room to spread out...so I'm looking more at about 36 feet.

I would really like to purchase an Isata 5, but the low OCCC would force me to tow a truck with some storage...and I'm not sure I want to do that.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #6

Take a look at an RPOD. Light weight, ample room. Seem to be very popular.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:37 PM   #7

We have the Rockwood Mini Lite, with murphy bed, 2104S model. We really like it. It has a slide for the dinette, but the murphy bed makes it quite roomy.
Tbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:40 PM   #8

I am very happy with my Surveyor 235.

24' from bumper to tip of tongue.

Slide out queen bed in the back, so no losing floor space for a bed, but no noise issues like you'd have with a hybrid with canvas.

3700# UVW.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
Take a look at an RPOD. Light weight, ample room. Seem to be very popular.
I'm considering an R-Pod 179 as well but would probably go with the Surveyor 191T over that as it's UVW is only 3400#.

I pay the price in weight when I try to move up to a hard sided RV with the space of the Hybrid such as the Mini Lites. The 2306 is 3700# UVW so that's only 300# more than the Surveyor. I pull a 4500# boat with no problems with my Trailblazer but understand the effects of wind resistance on an RV.

Thanks for all the comments and please keep them coming. I guess if I can find one to rent that will answer a lot of my questions so the search is on!
Old 10-11-2016, 01:05 PM   #10

Consider how often you think you will use it by yourself vs. how often you will host others. We use our TT mostly by ourselves, but sometimes we have our kids and grand kids along. We did not want a dinette because the chairs are so much more comfortable for us. What we do is use a queen size air mattress on the kitchen floor. It works well. Of course, inside floor space will determine if this is feasible for you. Make sure you really think through how you will use your TT and then, within the constraints you have mentioned regarding your tow vehicle, make the best decision for yourself.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:05 PM   #11

You might look at Rockwood Mini-Lite 2109s (or same model in Flagstaff Micro-Lite 21FBRS)

This floor plan is nicknamed "The Big Little Trailer". Great open floor space for a smaller trailer.

You won't miss the dinette.Toss the heavy portable table the comes with it and use smaller individual folding table for those few times you need to eat inside.

A word of caution: Make sure your vehicle is adequate to tow this or any other unit you select. Plenty of folks on this site will be happy to give you towing capacity advise as well as which Weight Distribution Hitch to select, and how to set it up. Do not trust any salesman to give you the correct advise on these matters!

We have the Flagstaff 21FBRS and love it. My hitch is the Andersen No-Sway.
Henboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:15 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by p40whk View Post
I pull a 4500# boat with no problems with my Trailblazer but understand the effects of wind resistance on an RV.
I hate to tell you but I have read tons of posts by TB owners who have been miserable pulling a TT or hybrid.
I don't think you realize how much difference pulling one is vs pulling a boat.

The majority of those TB owners get a better tow vehicle.

Plus the short wheelbase is a big negative.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #13

We have the Rockwood MiniLite 2304 with no slides & a murphy bed. We bought with no slides for 2 reasons. Slides get cold in the off seasons & we tend to travel a lot in those seasons. No slides are lighter and our GVWR is 4800#.
Issues? If camping in one place for long periods (& lousy weather)
we really miss the slides. To walk through the trailer, the other person
must get out of the way - a real pain. We looked at the 2104 but the 2304
has 2 extra feet which is largely taken up with a pantry which is very nice
to have.
If you're looking for a MiniLite, I would look at possibly the 2304 with a
slide. I don't know where you live so don't know if cold weather is an issue
for you. We also like a permanent dinette & then with the murphy bed you
get a "couch by day" and a queen bed by night.
Another thought. The company that comes with you "sometimes" can
rent a cabin on many of the better campgrounds.
Ian Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #14
On the road again...

My sister just went thru this same delima. She drives a Honda Ridgeline that she absolutely loves so replacing the truck in not an option. She decided on a Surveyor 191T. Had to be special ordered because they don't sell them in California. Still waiting to receive it. She really liked the way the beds pulled out front and side. This allowed for the bathroom to be in the back and not taking up valuable floor space.

One thing I do know is that whatever you decide you will end up going bigger and better within a couple of years because this whold rv world gets in your blood and you are hooked!

Let us know what you decide and happy camping!
MMMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I hate to tell you but I have read tons of posts by TB owners who have been miserable pulling a TT or hybrid.
I don't think you realize how much difference pulling one is vs pulling a boat.

The majority of those TB owners get a better tow vehicle.

Plus the short wheelbase is a big negative.
Yes, I have read many posts with this opinion here as well as an equal number of opposite opinions over on the TrailVoy.com forum. I've been towing since I was 16 for work as well as towing recreational vehicles for personal use so I do understand the limitations of both the TV and the person towing. This is one reason I will try to rent or find a similar unit to tow so I can make that judgement for myself.

I'm planning for my retirement and trying to eliminate my debt so upgrading my tow vehicle right now is not an option. The choice of a TT is.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMH View Post
My sister just went thru this same delima. She drives a Honda Ridgeline that she absolutely loves so replacing the truck in not an option. She decided on a Surveyor 191T. Had to be special ordered because they don't sell them in California. Still waiting to receive it. She really liked the way the beds pulled out front and side. This allowed for the bathroom to be in the back and not taking up valuable floor space.

One thing I do know is that whatever you decide you will end up going bigger and better within a couple of years because this whold rv world gets in your blood and you are hooked!

Let us know what you decide and happy camping!
MMMH, you'll have to let me know how your sister likes the 191T. I keep coming back to this model for the same reasons.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:58 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

You need to look at overall surface areas. Remember you mentioned towing out west so I'm guessing this means mountains. I would go lighter than 4000 uvw as that will likely push you over in payload. I would sticker closer to 3500 lb uvw. I would also stay under 22' with such a short wheelbase vehicle. I too have been driving trailers since I was 16. I got pushed down a mountain with my old armada/TT combo. It was constant tail wagging the dog. It was far from enjoyable and downright scary. As others suggested, rent and get a good idea of how towing various sizes feels and how the living space feels. Another possible option is a small class C towing your trailblazer.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #18
Site Team

I suggest you start a thread in the Hybrid section here.
Get some feedback from other hybrid owners.
I'm a hybrid owner and one feature you may not be aware of, is the Hybrid ' "turtling" ability.
You can make up the dinette and sofa to sleep on and not have to open the canvas ends.
This comes in handy for quick overnight stops, camping in bear country and bad weather.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:06 PM   #19

I have a 2015 Salem CruiseLite that is great for me and has handled one other person on the sofa. No slide though. You are also supposed to be able to convert the dinette to sleep on as well. My TV is also a Trailblazer.

The 23 series is a bit heavier because of the slides but have you looked at them? Salem Cruise Lite Travel Trailers by Forest River RV

2021 Nights Camped: 29 (so far)
2020 Nights Camped: 18
2019 Nights Camped: 18
MartiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:28 PM   #20

we have a Flagstaff 21 FRBS perfect fit for 2 weighs about 3900 dry but you can convert the sofa to a sleeper
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote