Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #41

For what I been reading the Rock Wood must be made cheaper.I read a lots of complaints about them .Has anyone have any problems with there Flagstaffs TT I haven't yet and I hope myself or anybody else doesn't
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #42

We have had our 2109 for a little over a year and have had NO problems with it. We realize it is not top of the line, but it has met every thing we anticipated or expected from it.

For us, a big Thank You to Forest River and its quality control!!
Useta have a 17 ft Casita LD twin bed mod &
Coleman pop up
NanaKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #43
Can I Retire Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyPancake View Post
The roof leaked, the joints in the cabinet doors broke loose, storage door latch fit bad, black & gray water indicators erroneous, battery failed in 6 months, counter molding fit bad, microwave could not be turned off, stereo intermittent, a couple of wood work joints broke open.

OMG. And, you kept it with all these things that went wrong?

We pay for something new, we expect it to be in darn near perfect condition.
We live near Philadelphia, PA, and bought it from RVW in Ohio. It's a very long drive to take it back. We spent our first night just one mile away in a State Park. We discovered slow water drip into the storage compartment from the city water inlet. Took the unit back, and they fixed it promptly, courteously, and threw in a free "new owner kit" just to be nice. But we discovered half of the other things on the way to Niagara Falls, and then on the way back home. I have a background in old cabinetry, so I just fixed some things myself to keep my wife happy with the unit. After we got home I called RVW and they gave me a list of closer places to get it repaired. Unfortunately, communications between the two dealers was poor, and an authorization to do the work was never issued. Father two weeks of fresh air and sunshine we got our unit back and resumed camping. During the year warranty period, the local dealer and RVW lost their warranty managers. Near the end of the warranty period, I sent an urgent email to the owner of RVW and he assigned the matter to a wonderful lady that told me that the warranty ticket was already set up, and not to worry. Just send her pictures of everything, and she would send the work authorization. A few weeks later, I sent pictures by email, and gave her a call. But she too, was no longer working for RVW. A new manager told me it was too late, there never was any ticket, and everything was now my problem. I humbly crawled to another closer Rockwood dealer, and they contacted Rockwood about my matter. Rockwood confirmed that they had a open file on my claim, and authorized the remaining work to be done under warranty. They replaced the haunted microwave too. But the roof leak was due to RVW forgetting to caulk the antenna when they installed it. That's not a Rockwood issue, so I had to pay the local dealer to do that. I really liked everything about RVW except warranty can become a serious problem. And I love my 2109S even with the many issues. It is a great value for the price. If you buy your RV hundreds of miles away from home, to save thousands of dollars, you have to accept the fact that your dealer is very far away when you have a problem. I'm 95% happy. That's not too bad.
Hedemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #44

We own a 2013, 2109S. We love it! If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #45

Keeping our Sunline

How can you love something that is falsely advertised? In no way does this trailer sleep 4 comfortably. You open up the jackknife sofa and there is over a foot of dead space at the back. We have a jackknife sofa in our Sunline, when you open it up it sleeps two, and has not gap. It is a cheaply made trailer, fit and finish is horrible!

We will keep our 20 year old Sunline another season. Have been to three trailer shows in the past four months, and have not seen anything worth buying.

They don't make them like they used to. Cutting corners etc...
ShakyPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #46
Can I Retire Now?

I am sitting in my 2109S this very minute in the Old Mill Stream Campground, Lancaster, PA. It's true that my last trailer, made in 1988 had fewer problems when I got rid of it, than my new 2012 2109S has experienced already. But I really do love this thing. My wife and I are empty nesters, and we look at the couch-bed to be a standby bed for when we have a grandchild overnight. A trailer this small really isn't intended to comfortably sleep more than that, and you can tell from the first look at it. I do wish that details in finish and assembly were more carefully controlled. Last week I had a gas leak in the stove. Teflon tape was used in a brass joint, where the gas feed was attached to the stove, which a Master Plumber told me should not be done. $100.00 later the leak was fixed, out of warranty. The manufacturer should know better. But overall this unit is a bargain. I would buy it again.
Hedemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #47

I had a problem with a warranty issue in my 2109S. FR's warranty dept., to their credit, reimbursed me. I strongly suggest you contact Roger Beiler, Rockwood Warranty, phone; 574-642-2640 X124. If you leave a message, the gentleman WILL return your call. We love our rig and intend to replace it with a 5er, built by FR.
Duramax/Allison
Old 06-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #48

This will be the first rv we have owned. Im not new to rv's i have been around them all my life and have used my parents. We have been looking at various models for almost a year now and have finally decided on the 2104S/ wife like the dinett over the couch. Myself i liked the couch but we made a compermise as she wanted a murphry bed but i didnt.
1)Couple of questions how are they holding up for those tha have bought them?
2) I have a 2013 Ram 1500, purchased it in plans on getting and rv. The truck has 5.7 hemi, 3.9 rear end, tow package, intergrated trailer brake, built in trailer sway control> Should i still hget a distruibution hitch, the trailer is way under the tow cap of the truck its like 11,500. Aslo what gas milage can i expect for thos that have simalar trucks.

3) Any issues i should look for when im at the dealer for delivery?
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #49

We've got nearly the same combo as you, a 2013 Mini Lite 2109S and a 2010 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi and 3.92 rear gears. I added the factory brake controller later on.

One item to watch on the camper are the fresh water tank brackets. Mine bent, I believe from improper tank venting. Also our front window leaked at both lower corners. After a good rain our mattress was soaking wet to the point we had to bring it in the house to dry out.

As far as the truck. Yes, get a weight distribution hitch, I went with the Equalizer 600/6000 hitch and it matched up perfect. It's got built in sway control so you don't need to worry about disengaging anything before backing up. The brake controller works great, I run mine on 4.5 and that seems to offer very good trailer braking. As far as gas mileage..., well.., that's the bad part. I run about 9-10 mpg while towing. There is plenty of power to pull the camper but the mileage suffers. That's just the way it goes with a gas engine.
GearHd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill flick View Post
For what I been reading the Rock Wood must be made cheaper.I read a lots of complaints about them .Has anyone have any problems with there Flagstaffs TT I haven't yet and I hope myself or anybody else doesn't
Kinda hard to classify rockwoods. They make everything from pop ups to large 5th wheels. When i was shopping rockwoods there were several flagstaffs, of various sizes in the repair bays at the dealership.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #51

I ended up with the Rockwood 2109S because I thought construction seemed sturdier than some other brands. This unit also seems to be heavier than comparable ones probably due to better construction.
With all RVs the manufacturer must balance the use of lightweight materials and construction techniques to achieve a reasonable weight on the RV.
2012 Rockwood 2109S (Sold)
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #52
Happy Camper!

I've had my 2109s since April and I LOVE it. I've camped in it 8 times already this year. For the people talking about the sofa/bed, my husband and I let my parents sleep on the Queen and we shared the sofa bed. We are not tall people, but we are adults. He's 185 lbs. and I'm 120 and we slept comfortably. My 16 yr old son is about 5'8" and he sleeps there all the time. The space behind the couch is hardly a foot....more like 6". To give you an idea of the size, if you stand up your 12 packs of pop and beer on one end back there, it slides in perfectly and a great place for storing them! You open one end and reach in and grab whatever you need to refill the fridge! The only part I don't like about my 2109s is the table being stored behind the couch. It is really heavy to lift out of there by yourself. If you are strong, you can do it alone, but that runs the risk of bumping into the couch or windows with the metal table legs. Also, the fuse will blow sometimes on the slide out if you try to move it in or out with the table in there. Happy camping everyone!
aprillovesjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #53

We stand our table (when camped only)next to the bed, slide side, where it fits nicely against the wall. The space behind the couch gets hot from the sun, be careful. In cold weather, all corners sweat, all beam areas sweat, vent above bed drips condensation; even with a window open slightly. If you have the TV that's mounted above the sound system, consider buying 90 degree coax cable connectors. You'll save your wires - Home Depot. Have fun we love ours. But it's time to move on.
Duramax/Allison
Old 07-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #54
Happy Camper!

Thanks for the heads up! I hope you have great luck with your next one! I never realized everything that can go wrong with these things until yesterday when I found this forum! This is our first TT so we are definitely newbies!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #55

The dealer gave us another suggestion for storing the table during travel as I agree it can be heavy and akward to lift out from behind the couch.
He said to store it underneath the mattress between the plywood. The only trick is that the plywood lifts at the same time as mattress. On top of the mattress we store our reclining chairs when traveling. That way nothing bangs around.
2012 Rockwood 2109S (Sold)
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #56
Happy Camper!

AWESOME!! Thanks!! I will definitely try that on the next outing!! We do the same with our chairs, folding table for outside, and cornhole board. We have a Velcro strap running under the bed to hold it all snug.
Here's to happy camping!
Old 03-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #57

We just purchased a 2109s Mini lite. Have not taken it out yet, as it is brand new, and the weather here in CT is still wintery! But, we Love the layout, and were sold on the idea that the entry door is on the end opposite the bed. Less disturbance to sleeping guests when someone gets up earlier and goes outside....! And, since the door is on the end by the refrigerator/wardrobe/bathroom, we would track through the TT less to grab a cold drink, use the lav, or grab a jacket from the closet--just reach inside the entry door to get what you need. In addition, we felt that the convertible sofa-to-bed with free standing collapsible table would be more versatile for us. Table could go outside, use sofa area as living room. Table outside (or folded up and stored), convert sofa to a bed for an extra guest, and/ or fit a good sized cot in that space used for the table for an additional guest if needed. With the table NOT a fixed unit, we could also bring a couple of camp chairs inside as well in inclement weather. Like the versatility of using this space in different ways. No, the pull out couch probably would not fit two adults comfortably, but the cot will suffice in a pinch. Think about how you will use the TT to get optimum comfort when choosing your own priorities. Good luck!
Andiem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:33 PM   #58

We owned a 2013, 2109S - traded for our current rig. We loved our Mini. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. One caveat I will offer is, when using the front sun shield as an awning, beware the winds. We were told by the dealership, they weren't meant for much more than 15 mph winds. The screws that attach it to the rig are small. You will need a fan insert due to moisture.
Duramax/Allison
Old 03-21-2014, 07:13 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andiem1 View Post
We just purchased a 2109s Mini lite. Have not taken it out yet, as it is brand new, and the weather here in CT is still wintery!
Congrats! We have the same unit also from CT. What dealer did you use?
Old 03-22-2014, 06:32 AM   #60

We had the pleasure of using our 2013 2109s several times last summer and love it.
aeh8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
210, 2109s