Old 04-18-2014, 10:24 PM   #71

Regarding fit & finish, we recently downsized from a Flagstaff 831RLSS (one of the "big guys", a 34' TT) to our Rockwood Mini-Lite, and we have noticed a big difference between the two lines (Flagstaff has Rockwood twins, so the difference I'm referring to is between the Classic Super Lite and Mini-Lite model lines). It's all in what we want to use it for - for us, it's not a deal-breaker, as we want to get back more to "camping" and away from hauling our vacation cabin along with us. And it's entirely possible that trailers in general aren't built like they used to be.

ShakyPancake, you mentioned the trailer being listed as sleeping 4. One thing we have noticed over the years is that those extra people might be child-sized. We had a 10' popup once that was supposed to sleep 6, but there's no way that would have been 6 adults! Our hybrid supposedly slept 2 on the jackknife couch & 2 on the dinette, but neither was long enough to accommodate us (and I'm 5'4") to sleep, nor wide enough to allow both of us to sleep on one of those beds. In any case, if you have another couple that you intend to have come with you, even just occasionally, looks like you will need to consider a different trailer. Good luck to you!

Old 04-19-2014, 07:16 PM   #72

Anyone else have the trim shrink and come loose on the tables beside the bed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1397949354776.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	50313  

Old 04-27-2014, 10:42 PM   #73

We took our 2012 Rockwood 2109S to Alaska last summer--9,000 miles and 2.5 months of spending every night in the trailer. But that trip is what we bought it for.

We spent 21 nights in it in 2012 and 111 nights in it last year. So far this year we have only spent two weeks in it, but have plans for several month-long trips this summer and fall.

We have had several problems with the trailer, most of which occurred after the warranty expired. One that was fixed immediately was a water line leak under the kitchen sink that was discovered by the dealer when he tested the trailer during my buyer orientation session

Another problem we had during the warranty was when the very heavy, raised panel refrigerator door would drop to floor when the refrigerator door was opened. I got on this forum and found that applying some double-sided tape and then drilling several wood screws through the plastic trim and into the edges of the panel would hold it. After that, we have had no problem with the panel, even on the rough roads we traveled in western Canada and Alaska.

The hanger strap supporting the collar on the black water drain pipe has broken three times, twice on the Alaska trip and again on our recent trip to Tucson that was entirely on Interstate highway. Each time I have repaired it using a roll of perforated metal pipe hanger strapping that I bought at Home Depot, but I will need to find stronger material.

The most severe problem was when the motor for the slide pulled completely out of the wall during the Alaska trip. The motor produces considerable torque, but was just screwed into the composite wall, not into an aluminum structural element. I first glued it on with Gorilla glue on the screw threads, but that lasted only a short time. In the Yukon, I designed and built a cradle from two pieces of 1" x 4" fir. I drilled holes and screwed the motor to one piece using the original lag screws. I cut a semicircle out of the top of the other 1x4, rested the other end of the motor in it, and held it in the cradle with the same type of perforated metal strapping that I had used for the black water pipe. I then screwed both pieces of wood to the floor with small steel angles. It worked perfectly during the rest of the Alaska trip, even over rough roads, and I have had to do nothing more to it since.

The only problem I have not been able to permanently repair is the face plate for the control panel next to the door. The original screws pulled out on the Alaska trip. I tried replacing them with larger diameter screws, but that didn't last. I replaced the screws with small bolts, nuts, and lock washers, but that didn't last very long on rough roads either. Not sure what I will do next.

We have probably put more miles on, and spent more nights in, our 2-year old trailer than most people do in a similarly sized RV in a decade. But we still think we made the right decision on a lightweight, 2-person trailer that could be towed by our Nissan Frontier pickup.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel; 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 CC-SB 6.7L CTD
Sold: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:12 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyPancake View Post
I got confused when chatting with the other gentleman. The 2309S has too high of a GVWL for us. Ultra lite and mini lite are different I am finding.

So, we are thinking maybe the 2109S Mini Lite.

Do you have some web sites that show good pictures of those?

Sorry to be a pain. We have always owned Sunline's. Our first time shopping for a new and different kind of trailer.

Thanks a bunch.

Ruthie
Just process the model number with a + sign at the end then the word rockwood in the internet search. You will get plenty of hits on various dealers and then proceed to their website and pictures of the trailer.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:44 AM   #75

Mini Lite 2104S vs. 2109S

For those of you that own the 2109S model: What did you think of the 2104S ?? If you looked at it, why didn't you buy it instead?

I would appreciate some feedback on the 2104 dinette vs. the 2109 couch.

Did the entry door location matter to you?

Frankly I wish the 2109S had the 2104 Dinette.

Comments appreciated!!
Old 06-04-2014, 06:24 AM   #76

2109s or 2104?

Greetings!
We purchased the 2109s, because of the layout, and the versatility of the freestanding table. For us, the U shaped dinette in the 2104 was decided against, first, because the entry door is on the bed end of the camper, which we did not like. Access to the refrigerator and coat closet are easier by the door--we can just reach in from outdoors with out traipsing through the camper every time. But, moreover, we thought the table would be better than a slide in dinette, because we can take the table down, and use the area for living space, put the table outside under the awning, or put it away if we don't need it. Especially if we have guests, having that versatility was more important to us. We could also set up an extra cot in that area, if needed, with the table stowed away. We also spent time going back and forth over the two choices, dinette or fold up table, just as you did! But when we thought about how we were going to use the camper in various scenarios, we decided the features in the 2109s were more suited to our needs. Think about how you will want to use your TT, and what makes most sense for your lifestyle...will you have guests or not? Do you care whether the door is near the bed or not? The bump out is a little deeper on the 2104, that may be a plus for you. Neither my husband or I like sliding in and out of a dinette booth, either! Good luck with your decision. We absolutely love our Mini Lite. We have done our first camping trip in the driveway, to learn all the systems, and now are ready to take this show on the road!
Old 06-04-2014, 07:14 AM   #77
Can I Retire Now?

The trim did not fit well for more than one reason. First, the routed slot that the T fit into was too loose, allowing the trim to squirm. Second, there is no support at the bottom of the molding, as the table is much thinner than the molding. This allows the molding to lean back at the bottom, and the top the see-saws away from the laminate edge. If the wood has not yet swelled up from exposure to water, you can rock the molding back by hand and see that it is capable of fitting better.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #78
Can I Retire Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henboy View Post
For those of you that own the 2109S model: What did you think of the 2104S ?? If you looked at it, why didn't you buy it instead?

I would appreciate some feedback on the 2104 dinette vs. the 2109 couch.

Did the entry door location matter to you?

Frankly I wish the 2109S had the 2104 Dinette.

Comments appreciated!!
After having the 2109S, I wished that we would have had the dinette instead. My wife disagrees.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:02 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedemark View Post
After having the 2109S, I wished that we would have had the dinette instead. My wife disagrees.
I like your DW. The location of the door to the refrigerator & being able to set used cups etc. right into the sink from the outside is quite convenient. The sofa is where we eat (on 2 small folding tables), good for reading with good reading/ambient lights behind you, & perfect to watch the TV (if you get good TV reception). The dinette just isn't as comfortable as the sofa.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:17 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andiem1 View Post
Think about how you will want to use your TT, and what makes most sense for your lifestyle...will you have guests or not? Do you care whether the door is near the bed or not?
I agree with everything said in this post. The difference for us was that, for the 2012 model year, there was no 2104S, just a 2104 with no slide. The extra floor space made it an easy choice.

If you have had other campers/trailers with a dinette, you will probably like the 2104S dinette better. We had no RV before the 2109S, so we had no reason to prefer a dinette over a sofa.

One important difference to consider is sleeping accommodations. The 2104S dinette makes into a reasonably flat, but narrow, bed for two <6' adults. The 2109S has a jackknife sofa that has a "trough" in the center when in the down position. It may be ok for children, but may be uncomfortable for two <6' adults, unless you can somehow fill the trough.

And we also eat on two very lightweight TV trays. DW uses the very heavy 2109S folding table in her quilting/sewing room at home.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel; 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 CC-SB 6.7L CTD
Sold: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
210, 2109s