Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2011, 05:45 AM   #21
Grumpy Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
I'll probably leave the outside shower alone and just use a splitter at the park hydrant. I know that leaves the water unfiltered but I figure the heat will kill anything if I'm using it for cooking. Seriously thinking about rigging up a filter system to install right at the hydrant and remove the one from inside the trailer. One of the other forums had a post where someone thought there filter was empty for the winter and it wasn't. Froze and cracked the casing. He didn't realize it until he was doing a spring flushing of the water lines. If I do the outside filter that would allow me clean water coming out of the splitter.
Hi Randy,

I use an external filter, keeps the sand and crap out of the internals of the RV. After having a look at the internal filter assembly I've decided that I'm going to remove it entirely. I don't like the location of it and I'm not a fan of the type they chose to install.

These things are always unfinished engineering projects.

I had a look at the procedure to re-tension my one saggy slide topper and decided that it's a warranty thing for the dealer when I ever get back there again. I'm wondering if other folks with the super slide are having some trouble with water pooling because the slide topper doesn't have enough tension.

Otherwise, getting ready for a nice long weekend.

CZ
ChrisZazzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #22

We don't have the slide topper on ours. I like the idea but I don't think I'll miss them. We just have to pack a cooler and hitch up and we are ready to go for the long weekend ourselves. Have a good trip!

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:08 AM   #23
Grumpy Old Member

It's been two weekends...

... And counting!

I have settled into the 3008w so far without mishap. Some of you know that I have a seasonal spot for it with only occasional towing planned for a few long vacations this year. The weekend warrior thing isn't appealing (to me) with his size TT.

My punch list of things to do has dwindled down to one warranty issue that I'm not sure is fixable. My super slide topper collects rainwater because it appears to be too loose. The immediate thought would be to tighten up the tension on the drum but I'm thinking that the problem is the length of the topper and some engineering issues instead. Has anyone here successfully resolved this annoyance by tightening (or having it done) the drum tension?

Other than that, this TT has been a dream both cosmetically and in the fit and finish department. My tools have for the most part, stayed in the truck.

How's everyone else making out?

CZ
Old 06-03-2011, 07:38 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZazzara View Post
... And counting!

I have settled into the 3008w so far without mishap. Some of you know that I have a seasonal spot for it with only occasional towing planned for a few long vacations this year. The weekend warrior thing isn't appealing (to me) with his size TT.

My punch list of things to do has dwindled down to one warranty issue that I'm not sure is fixable. My super slide topper collects rainwater because it appears to be too loose. The immediate thought would be to tighten up the tension on the drum but I'm thinking that the problem is the length of the topper and some engineering issues instead. Has anyone here successfully resolved this annoyance by tightening (or having it done) the drum tension?

Other than that, this TT has been a dream both cosmetically and in the fit and finish department. My tools have for the most part, stayed in the truck.

CZ
If this is a design issue, or cannot be fixed via warranty, would it be difficult to put something rounded between the slide and the topper to raise it in the area where it's drooping? I'm not sure how big the gap is, but that might be worth a try at least till you get it back to the dealer.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:46 AM   #25
I just tow the TT for DW!

Quote:
... And counting!

CZ
Hi Chris...we've only had ours home for a couple of days now and have done "camp driveway" the last two nights before heading out on our shakedown trip this Sunday. So far, so good. Had our first meal inside last night, though we cooked on our grill, so we haven't used the stove yet. Finally got the TV, DVD, and radio all figured out. Have used the toilet, have taken showers (never had an enclosed shower before ), have used the blow-up sofa bed for my son to sleep on, and he loves it by the way. We have slidetoppers too, but it has not rained yet. Our PDI tech did tell us that the tension on the toppers could not be adjusted. So far, everything works, and about the only thing I've noticed is when either my wife or I roll over in the bed, we hear a noise like the slide is shifting or settling. Don't really feel anything, just hear it, and I am not even sure it's the slide I am hearing. We'll need to investigate further. Other than that, we've been very satisfied so far, and hope for continued satisfaction on our maiden voyage.

2008 Ford F350 King Ranch Lariat SD CC 4x4 V10 4:10
2012 Rockwood Windjammer 3008 - Equalizer 12k
2007 EZGO TXT Lifted/Custom Golf Cart

Nights Camped: 2011(52) 2012(65) 2013(65) 2014 (51) 2015 (40)
kamp k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #26

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
They must have a good crew building the Windjammers, We've been very impressed with the overall fit and finish of our camper. As you said Our tools also for the most part have stayed in the tool box.

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
They must have a good crew building the Windjammers, We've been very impressed with the overall fit and finish of our camper. As you said Our tools also for the most part have stayed in the tool box.
Think you must be right, BigRed. Our PDI tech said whenever he gets a new unit from the factory regardless of make or model, he almost always finds "something" wrong with it that he needs to fix, but he said could not find anything wrong with our unit in his PDI, nor could we in our PDI, minus the strap on the sliding bedroom/bathroom door that needed some attention, but that was a quick fix.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:32 AM   #28
Grumpy Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyno76 View Post
If this is a design issue, or cannot be fixed via warranty, would it be difficult to put something rounded between the slide and the topper to raise it in the area where it's drooping? I'm not sure how big the gap is, but that might be worth a try at least till you get it back to the dealer.
This just isn't that big of an issue. I have read where people shove beach balls and the lot up onto their super slide between the topper and the slide top to put a high spot in the center. I'm not interested in this.

One of my neighbors has a new Cedar Creek fifth with super slides on both side and problems with both. The dealer is coming out to "adjust" his topper tension next week. I'll have a look at the results and let you know.

CZ
Old 06-04-2011, 06:49 AM   #29
Grumpy Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamp k View Post
Hi Chris...we've only had ours home for a couple of days now and have done "camp driveway" the last two nights before heading out on our shakedown trip this Sunday. So far, so good. Had our first meal inside last night, though we cooked on our grill, so we haven't used the stove yet. Finally got the TV, DVD, and radio all figured out. Have used the toilet, have taken showers (never had an enclosed shower before ), have used the blow-up sofa bed for my son to sleep on, and he loves it by the way. We have slidetoppers too, but it has not rained yet. Our PDI tech did tell us that the tension on the toppers could not be adjusted. So far, everything works, and about the only thing I've noticed is when either my wife or I roll over in the bed, we hear a noise like the slide is shifting or settling. Don't really feel anything, just hear it, and I am not even sure it's the slide I am hearing. We'll need to investigate further. Other than that, we've been very satisfied so far, and hope for continued satisfaction on our maiden voyage.
Hey! I've been to Camp Driveway before, though not with the Windjammer. Sounds like you folks are having a great time getting acquainted with you new TT.

I have to disagree with your PDI tech. I have a Dometic installation PDF for the slide toppers (thanks Herk, for the link) and they clearly show the set up procedure for the tension. If they didn't set the tension correctly in the beginning, there's room to adjust.

Have a great maiden voyage. Where are you heading?

CZ
Old 06-04-2011, 07:01 AM   #30
Grumpy Old Member

Quote:
Hi Dave,

Yep, nothing big to speak of. I've had all the cupboards that are sealed shut open to poke around in and tidy up a bit. I think that the Forest River folks need to use a few more tie wraps but otherwise even behind the scenes, things look decent.

I've been lubricating things this weekend. Did all the crappy locks and hinges. Now I'm looking for a way to lube up the electric landing gear. They're both quite loud and neither instils any confidence in their longevity.

Finger Lakes region, eh? You're practically a neighbor. I'm camped up on Sandy Pond.

CZ
Old 06-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #31

Quote:
We have only had our V-Lite for(15) months of over the road use,we purchased it as a (Travel Trailer) we repair as much as we can then we (Travel) to a (Forest River) repair shop! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:02 AM   #32
Grumpy Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
We have only had our V-Lite for(15) months of over the road use,we purchased it as a (Travel Trailer) we repair as much as we can then we (Travel) to a (Forest River) repair shop! Youroo!!
Yipes! What kind of things are needing attention?

I discovered my first real item for the dealer to take care of today. I have a small leak (as in drip.. drip... drip) on the cold water T that ties the low point drain to the system. Can't get to it, it's deep in the back of the cupboard that has the hot water tank in it, but luckily it's quite small and the water is following the low point drain tube down and out of the TT. My guess is they'll have to pull the hot water tank to get to those funky hose clamps to find it and fix it.

There, now in feel better... Something real to add to my list.

CZ
Old 06-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #33

Well, we just returned today from our week-long maiden voyage with our new Windjammer 3008. We went to Shenandoah Crossing in Gordonsville, Va which is about a 90 minute trip from home. Had a great time doing a whole lot of nothing. It was in the 90's the entire week and about 100 on Thursday. Went to the pool everyday and went geocaching Friday morning, but other than that, we hung around the camper just enjoying having so much room now. No major issues to report but our dealer will need to fix some things like the hinges coming loose on the bathroom cabinets, we're missing 1 of the 4 rubber grill-stops on the stove, and the skylight in the shower needs to be caulked as we can see sunlight shining through through the edges. We got the upgraded 15k BTU a/c unit because of the hot humid summers here in VA. That upgrade paid for itself this week lol! We had a major thunderstorm roll through on Friday evening and another quick storm yesterday, but we snapped a few of pics just prior to the storm yesterday. Overall, we love this trailer, and the floorplan is ideal for us. Aside from a few small items that need our dealer's attention, we could not be happier with our purchase and experience so far.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 06-13-2011, 05:00 AM   #34

Glad you enjoyed the maiden voyage and that all went well. I think it must be smokin' hot all over the country! We just did our third trip out in our 3008W this past weekend and are thoroughly enjoying the TT. Next trip is planned for the July 4th weekend.
Did you have to use your water pump? This was our first trip having to use it and man is it noisy. Will have the dealer look at it but wanted to know what others were experiencing.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:17 AM   #35
Grumpy Old Member

Quote:
Glad you enjoyed the maiden voyage and that all went well. I think it must be smokin' hot all over the country! We just did our third trip out in our 3008W this past weekend and are thoroughly enjoying the TT. Next trip is planned for the July 4th weekend.
Did you have to use your water pump? This was our first trip having to use it and man is it noisy. Will have the dealer look at it but wanted to know what others were experiencing.
Yeah, that's a noisy pump for sure. I had a look already and FR, in their infinite wisdom, mounted a fairly inexpensive pump directly to the floor without any rubber feet to do some shock absorbing.

Once the little guys in the back of my head got to dancing about this I decided one of those variable speed pumps was in my future. And, I've gotta get rid of that inside water filter housing. That's a leak waiting to happen and it's right there next to the sub-woofer.

2012 Windjammer 2008w
2020 RAM 1500
Old 06-13-2011, 06:19 AM   #36
Grumpy Old Member

Hey, Kamp K!

That's a nice looking rig you have there! :-)

Glad to hear that your maiden went so well and those camp sites look great. How many miles did you tow?

2012 Windjammer 2008w
2020 RAM 1500
Old 06-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #37

Quote:
Glad you're getting a lot of use so far! Hot was certainly an understatement for last week anyway, lol. Our next trip will be a 16 night venture over the July 4th holiday as well. Gonna swing by the dealer at the beginning of that trip to get our little "issues" addressed. We did not have to use the water pump on this trip, but we did test it during our PDI, and while it was "loud" it did not sound any worse than the water pump in our previous trailer, which was a Keystone Outback.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #38

Quote:
Hey, Kamp K!

That's a nice looking rig you have there! :-)

Glad to hear that your maiden went so well and those camp sites look great. How many miles did you tow?
Thanks Chris! I guess you would recognize a good looking rig when you see one . Things went about as well as we would've hoped. Had a great time and since most schools were not out yet, there were only a couple of campers in our loop, and we had the whole loop to ourselves until the weekend. Campground was only 60-70 miles from home, but our next trip will be closer to 150 miles one way, down to Va Beach. Can't wait for that one.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:41 AM   #39

I see on the 3008 Windjammers the water heater is located in the right front,the city water fill is between the slides,where is the fresh water tank located? My F/W tank is located at the extreme rear. W/H is at the right rear as well. F/R must have known that my setup would tow (Crappy)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:53 AM   #40
Grumpy Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I see on the 3008 Windjammers the water heater is located in the right front,the city water fill is between the slides,where is the fresh water tank located? My F/W tank is located at the extreme rear. W/H is at the right rear as well. F/R must have known that my setup would tow (Crappy)! Youroo!!
Though it's hard to tell exactly, my guess is just aft of the axles. I don't know the dimensions of the tank and FR doesn't appear to publish them anywhere.

It's a 40 gallon tank so even full to the top we're only talking about 300 lbs or so. Not really enough to effect the towing attributes of this heavy a rig, I would guess. At least my experience towing this with a tank about a third full versus empty really yields no difference in towing behavior.

There are others here that have towed a 3008w much further than I have, perhaps they'll share their info.

2012 Windjammer 2008w
2020 RAM 1500

Tags
3008w, windjammer