Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2011, 06:20 AM   #1
Grumpy Old Member

New 2012 Windjammer 3008W

Hiya,

Just finished with taking delivery of my new TT and I thought I would share a few thoughts.

I'm coming to TT camping from a small motorhome and while I was very happy about having all the extra living space, I was apprehensive about shaking the bugs out of another new camper. I have been very pleasantly surprised so far.

The walk-through was earlier in the week and while I prepared my usual anal list of things to inspect and go through, I was very happy to see that the dealer was also interested in adhering to a detailed script. We both wanted ro see everything, inspect it and be sure that it works. I found only one thing wrong, the landing gear was not operating, and a fast fuse replacement took care of the problem.

Overall, the quality of the rig was excellent. There are many things that I like a lot and a few things that I plan on changing. But this is small potatoes compared to other big problems I've seen crop up in other people's units.

This will be my first weekend out at "camp" so I'll have more to talk about next week. So far everything's is great!

Chris Z.
Syracuse, NY
ChrisZazzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:06 PM   #2

Enjoy the new 3008W. My wife and I are on our maiden voyage in our new unit. Same model as yours. We picked it up last Saturday and when we got ready to leave the house this afternoon my landing gear would not retract. I hand cranked them so we could hit the road, got to our campsite and got set up. Checked the fuse for the gear and it was blown. A quick swap and we are brand new again. So far everything else working just fine.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
I just tow the TT for DW!

Please keep us posted guys with a follow-up from your shakedown trips! So far I've learned to make sure we have extra fuses onboard for the jacks! Curious as to how both of you report on the stability of the 3008 when you are all set up? Any additional rocking or side to side shaking as you move about inside the trailer?

We're still waiting on ours. Will be 8 weeks this coming Tuesday since we placed our order. Calling the dealer in the morning to see if he has an update for us, though not expecting any news.

Congrats to both of you, and enjoy your trips. A fine choice in model, I might add, lol.

2008 Ford F350 King Ranch Lariat SD CC 4x4 V10 4:10
2012 Rockwood Windjammer 3008 - Equalizer 12k
2007 EZGO TXT Lifted/Custom Golf Cart

Nights Camped: 2011(52) 2012(65) 2013(65) 2014 (51) 2015 (40)
kamp k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:31 AM   #4
Grumpy Old Member

First night at camp went well. I keep a spot at an RV park up on Lake Ontario for use when I'm not traveling and I'm all set up here. My first road trip won't be until vacation in July.

So far my tool bag has stayed in the truck. I did however climb up to have a look at the slide topper on the super slide, it was sagging when I arrived and I discovered that water had pooled on it and needed to be drained before the tensioner in the roller could properly take up the slack. The smaller slide topper on the bedroom slide was fine, but it's also much smaller.

Watched a movie last night and was surprised at the sound quality from the integrated entertainment system. The name plate says Genesis 3.0. I know there has been a lot of discussion about the Concertone stuff, I'm not sure who makes this contraption. My Internet searches come up empty handed. If it rains later today I'm going to pull it off the wall and have a look it's back side and wiring. According to the manual (if you can call it that), there is a lot of functionality that is going unused.

Randy, you mentioned having to replace a blown fuse on your landing gear. We did that during my walk-thru. Apparently during prep the dealer exercised the gear a bit to hard at the top and pop the fuse. I'm thinking that gear itself is a great idea, but the execution of the idea could have been better engineered. Too many people find that they are delicate and don't provide as much stabilization as some want.

Can't think of anything else for now. Enjoy your new rigs and best of luck.

Chris
Old 05-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #5

Chris, my stabilization went out just as I finished taking up the front jacks. I think I brought them up a little to far and bumped the drive motor. When we leave tomorrow I will pay closer attention and see what happens. Hand cranking was no big deal but may as well use the power ones if I have them.

The only other issue (and it's not a big deal) is my wife and I both tend to step on the shower drain plug a lot. Just have to keep an eye on it so we don't fill up the basin while showering.

One of our RV neighbors was telling us a little trick he uses to keep the probes/sensors clean on his black water tank. Says after he flushes out the tank he throws a bag of ice down the toilet while he's moving to his next destination/home. Says it does a great job sloshing around and knocking toilet paper off the probes and any build up. Has anyone ever heard of this trick?

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch
Old 05-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
I just tow the TT for DW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
One of our RV neighbors was telling us a little trick he uses to keep the probes/sensors clean on his black water tank. Says after he flushes out the tank he throws a bag of ice down the toilet while he's moving to his next destination/home. Says it does a great job sloshing around and knocking toilet paper off the probes and any build up. Has anyone ever heard of this trick?
Have heard of this trick as well. We tried it once, but did not see any noticeable difference in the sensors. They still always seemed to give a false reading on our previous trailer, and would show our blank tank as being full even though it wasn't. Of course, we tried it in the middle of July, so the ice probably melted before we ever left the campground, lol.

2008 Ford F350 King Ranch Lariat SD CC 4x4 V10 4:10
2012 Rockwood Windjammer 3008 - Equalizer 12k
2007 EZGO TXT Lifted/Custom Golf Cart

Nights Camped: 2011(52) 2012(65) 2013(65) 2014 (51) 2015 (40)
kamp k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
Grumpy Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
The only other issue (and it's not a big deal) is my wife and I both tend to step on the shower drain plug a lot. Just have to keep an eye on it so we don't fill up the basin while showering.

Hi Randy,

I've read about the ice trick in the past but haven't tried it, never had problems with the last RV and will have to see how the sensors on this one work out.

As for the shower drain, well, I just pulled the stopper up and out. Can't step on it when it's in the cupboard and I could see no reason to have it in there.

CZ
Old 05-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZazzara View Post
Watched a movie last night and was surprised at the sound quality from the integrated entertainment system. The name plate says Genesis 3.0. I know there has been a lot of discussion about the Concertone stuff, I'm not sure who makes this contraption. My Internet searches come up empty handed. If it rains later today I'm going to pull it off the wall and have a look it's back side and wiring. According to the manual (if you can call it that), there is a lot of functionality that is going unused.
Chris
We have a pending order for a 3008 and I'm interested to see if others are getting non-Concertone systems!! Does it have HDMI inputs and ouputs? If it's not too much trouble, can you post a pic so I can ask my dealer about this system?
Old 05-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #9

Ours came with the Concertone system. So far all I have done is listen to a couple of Royals / Cardinals games. Our first trip out and we forgot the camera! Oh well, pictures will have to wait for next weekends trip.

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch
Old 05-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #10

Hi Chris,

Congratulations on your new Windjammer. We have the 3002W and took delivery just a few weeks ago. Two short shakedown weekends have not revealed any big issues. This was our first brand new TT and were concerned about construction quality issues. Thus far, we have been very pleased with our experience with both the brand and our dealer. We went for our PDI with extensive checklists in hand and were taken aback when the dealer tech went into much greater detail with the model specifics than we expected. We ended up only using our checklists to validate we had covered everything, and we had!

Some of my mods will be the Oxygenics shower upgrade, Eternabond on the roof seams and adding Cyclone sewer vents. Also getting the X-Chocks to help stabilize the trailer a bit when setup (the typical shake of ultra lite trailers would be about our only "complaint").

Our good old Terry trailer was used when we bought it and did not have slideouts, so we feel like we have upgraded to a palace in terms of both space and amenities.

Anyhow, welcome to the Windjammer world!
landcruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #11

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Congrats on the Windjammer ! We have the 3065 (2011) and have been very impressed with the over all quality ! Our Concertone works great !! As does everything else !!

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #12
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyno76 View Post
We have a pending order for a 3008 and I'm interested to see if others are getting non-Concertone systems!! Does it have HDMI inputs and ouputs? If it's not too much trouble, can you post a pic so I can ask my dealer about this system?
Chris has a concertone. It is the new Genesis unit.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #13
Grumpy Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
Chris has a concertone. It is the new Genesis unit.
Hi John,

I suspect this, but they make no mention of this product on their website. And the manual (glorified pamphlet) doesn't really ID the manufacturer. It certainly is feature rich and as I indicated earlier, I'm waiting for a rainy day to pull it out of the panel and have a look at how it's wired.

To answer an earlier question, it does appear to have an HDMI port on the back, but I suspect that FR is choosing not to use it because the Genesis is connected to the "Video" input on the Toshiba flat screen. That's neither an HDMI or component video connection.

Other than that, all is well so far.

CZ
Old 05-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #14
Grumpy Old Member

Here are a couple of images of the entertainment area, and the Genesis in particular:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0290.jpg
Views:	5847
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	5922   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0299.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	5923  
Old 05-22-2011, 01:39 PM   #15
Grumpy Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruisers View Post
Some of my mods will be the Oxygenics shower upgrade, Eternabond on the roof seams and adding Cyclone sewer vents. Also getting the X-Chocks to help stabilize the trailer a bit when setup (the typical shake of ultra lite trailers would be about our only "complaint").

Anyhow, welcome to the Windjammer world!
Thanks so much for the welcome.

My Oxygenics shower head was the first move I made from the old RV, that and a finger shut-off valve right at the top of the mixing base. The X-Chocks are still in their boxes, that was part of the deal. Hadn't thought about a Cyclone because I never had any problems with sewer smell from the last RV.

I notice a bit of the shake that you're speaking about it's not bad enough to go after a major fix, if there is such a thing. My unit will spend most of its time in a season spot in a nice park I've been at for a few years. I'm thinking that I'm going to add scissor jacks to the corners and run up the electric stabilizers, saving them for traveling.

Does this make any sense? They just don't seem like they're built to do the week to week support tasks when I'm parked.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

CZ
Old 05-22-2011, 03:41 PM   #16

With your unit staying parked most of the season, the Cyclone vents may not make as much sense. We had a problem with odor in the previous TT anytime it was on the road. As we drove, the rush of the air down the sewer vents caused the odors. We have noticed just a bit with this new one as well, so we thought we would give the Cyclone vents a try.

You mention a finger shut off valve on the mixing base of your Oxygenics. Does the flow control valve on the shower head not give the ability to stop the flow?

The shake is noticeable for us to the point that we feel it when our 13 pound Schnauzer is walking through the trailer. It's not a deal breaker, but I wanted to try some things to see if it could be minimized. The X-Chocks seem to be favored on the forum as a first step fix. You may want to do some reading on the forum related to possible pitfalls with using scissor jacks with these ultra lite trailers. Many advocate only using them adjacent to the axles to minimize flexing. You want to avoid anything that causes the frame to flex. Warped frame and cracked fiberglass siding may result.

We had scissor jacks and even used them for leveling on our old Terry but it had a forgiving wood frame and corrugated aluminum siding.
landcruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #17
Grumpy Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruisers View Post
You mention a finger shut off valve on the mixing base of your Oxygenics. Does the flow control valve on the shower head not give the ability to stop the flow?

The shake is noticeable for us to the point that we feel it when our 13 pound Schnauzer is walking through the trailer. It's not a deal breaker, but I wanted to try some things to see if it could be minimized. The X-Chocks seem to be favored on the forum as a first step fix. You may want to do some reading on the forum related to possible pitfalls with using scissor jacks with these ultra lite trailers. Many advocate only using them adjacent to the axles to minimize flexing.
Richard,

I added a quick push button shut off valve because manipulating the rotating adjustment was cumbersome and didn't stop the water flow completely. It was cheap and available at the local Lowes.

As for the scissor jacks, I'm just interested in using them in place of and in the same places as the built-in electric stabilizers. I'm not interested in picking up the the corners of the trailer with them. I'll have a look at past discussions to see what other folks have found.

And that must be quite a Schnauzer!

CZ
Old 05-23-2011, 05:16 AM   #18

Returned from our shakedown trip with the new 3008W. Absolutely no issues outside of blowing a fuse on the stabilizing jacks. Simple replacement and everything worked fine. Got the trailer home, cleaned up, 90% repacked and ready to go for the long weekend coming up. My only complaint--well two--I will replace the shower head with an Oxygenics after this upcoming trip--and the trailer does tend to move a bit even with the stabilization jacks down. Purchased some new chocks (not the "X" type but the ones that wedge between the wheels) to see if that helps. Wife and I had a great weekend doing absolutely nothing. Even got home in time to mow the lawn so I don't have to worry about getting that done before the next trip.

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch
Old 05-23-2011, 05:23 AM   #19
Grumpy Old Member

Randy,

Sounds like you folks had a great trip. I thought the supplied shower was on the lame side, too and replaced it with my head from the old RV. I'm also going to replace the outsides shower with a small coiled up hose. Don't need a shower out there, but a hose would be great for the occasional big pot.

Btw, did you happen to blow the fuse on your stabilizer Jack's at either end of the travel? Of did they just draw a bit too much current in operation?

CZ
Old 05-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #20

Chris,
I must have blown it on the front jacks as I was taking them up. I ran them up until they "bumped" and I saw the motor twist slightly but returned right back in place. Then I tried the rear jacks and found out I had no juice. Once I replaced the fuse everything was fine. When we broke camp yesterday I ran the jacks up just shy of "bumping" anything and all was good. Got home and they dropped just fine. Guess when I bumped them I surged or arced (sp) something and that blew the fuse. Went to the local Dollar General and purchased a small assortment of fuses to carry with us.

I'll probably leave the outside shower alone and just use a splitter at the park hydrant. I know that leaves the water unfiltered but I figure the heat will kill anything if I'm using it for cooking. Seriously thinking about rigging up a filter system to install right at the hydrant and remove the one from inside the trailer. One of the other forums had a post where someone thought there filter was empty for the winter and it wasn't. Froze and cracked the casing. He didn't realize it until he was doing a spring flushing of the water lines. If I do the outside filter that would allow me clean water coming out of the splitter.

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch

Tags
3008w, windjammer