Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2014, 04:44 PM   #1

New 2015 8280WS warranty issues

HI all,
New to the forum here, in August we bought a new 2015 RockWood 8280WS Signature Series ultra lite 5er with Diamond pkg.
In two months of owning it,we have accumulated a large listed of warranty items that need to be taken care.
This is our first Rockwood and I was wondering if it is normal to have So many issues. With a window sticker of $52,000 I wouldn't think so.
Of all the issues the only ones that really concern me have to do with the exterior fiberglass.
We have used the heck out of it in the last 2 months and Love it
Here is our list so far:
Defect in rim
Shower door will not close without lifting up on it, it is hanging down, weatherstrip on the bottom is now ripping off
LED light on nose cap has a bad LED
Defect in the couch material, the seam is coming apart
Raised striation marks in the exterior fiberglass
Driver side fiberglass over the left side of the slide is sticking out about 1/2" further then the rest of the wall creating a noticeable vertical line in the camper. Im afraid that will be the perfect spot for delam in a few years since it appears to be under a lot of stress from being bowed out.
Fire place shuts off and wont restart without resetting the on/off switch, the manual says it is overheating
USB charger port in bedroom does not work
two bulbs out in ceiling fan
Frig wont stay lit in propane mode while driving down the road, error light flashes
Top door hinge in bedroom door is very loose, screws appear to be stripped out
Graphics sticker is peeling off of the nose cap
Bedroom slide seal is falling off

Here is a link to pictures of most of the issues
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ibcnsnxms...foVcBnfAa?dl=0

I am kinda disappointed that a higher end $52k unit that should have been built with a lot of quality has So many issues right out of the gate

Love the lay out, love the Looks, love the way it goes down the road, Dont Love all of these issues, I feel like I got a Lemon.

I'm interested in knowing if this is the norm or just my bad luck.
Thanks for any input you may have.
And by the Way, Love the Forum
Here is a pic of the beast the Day we brought it home.

Hitch
Hitch_Itch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:45 PM   #2

I own a 2014 micro lite and I am having some of the same issues as you. My couch needs to be replaced because the stitching has come out. Cabinet door screws fall out, last camping trip I had two doors come loose, I bought next size up wood screw and fixed it. However, when I bring it back into the dealer for the led light where the land power cord connects to the camper that doesn't work and my led scare light that stopped working. The hinges appear to be a bit tight on the cabinet doors and I will complain about since they already fixed another cabinet door.

It appears thar Forest River has a some issues with their quality.

I don't expect to have these issues with a new camper.

It's frustrating as can be, but at the end of the day it is under warranty. Thats what I tell myself when I get upset at the issues.
Rcbstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #3

Appears you got more than your fair share of new RV issues. My 8280 has been back to the dealer a couple of times over the last two years for warranty service for things that developed over time. Seems like some of yours the dealer should have caught prior to delivery or during the walk through with you.

Some of the minor ones like light bulbs, shower door, led not working are easily fixed. Other issues such as slide seal and fiberglass issues are not quite as common in a new RV. Definitely needs the dealers attention on these soon! The dealer and Rockwood need to step up and make things right for you--especially fiberglass issues.

Read the manual concerning your frig. If it has air in the line it will blink like yours does and needs to be restarted a coulple of times.

Please keep us posted as to how things are resolved for you. Good luck!
Old 11-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #4

What are "Raised striation marks in the exterior fiberglass" ?
Ham_Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
NELA

I think he means next to bottom row of pics, second from right. Looks like hair line cracks to me.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:48 AM   #6

Oops. Sorry. I missed the photo link.
Ham_Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #7

Hello, sorry about your issues with the 5ver. I have the 2015 8289ws and when I went for the demo I had a flat tire (these models suck), led light out in the fridge, and a seal fell off the bedroom closet slide (junk glue they use). With my other RV that I purchased through the same dealer in Western New York, they have always been accommodating once I got through to them and made the appointment. You should still for 1 year be under Forest River warranty. I wish you all the luck getting these issues resolved.
Scootdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #8

My Dealer(Camping World of Harrisburg, PA) said they can fix the fiberglass with no issues.
Im interested in seeing how they fix it.

Hitch
Old 11-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #9

Might want to get the factory in on the fix before the dealer gets started. Is it only cosmetic, structural, or both? On some types of fixes I have heard they will replace the entire wall if that is the way it needs to be done. If it is structural I would want that repaired correctly prior to doing the cosmetic surface work.

Rockwood/Flagstaff has a fairly new state of the art separate factory in the Shipswana area that makes their own walls. I can't recall any other posts with the same wall issues as yours and it seems like the factory would want to be involved first hand.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:46 PM   #10

We have a Rockwell as well and I will still contend that a lot of the defects folks find when they take their units out *should* have been detected by the dealer when they did the PDI.

That said, I am curious about 2 of the issues you mentioned:
Your refer will not stay in propane mode when "on the road" - will it stay in propane mode if it is parked but not on shore power?
Does the fireplace reset when in all modes (i.e., what happens if you set the thermostat to 85, 90 or 95 deg?)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post

That said, I am curious about 2 of the issues you mentioned:
Your refer will not stay in propane mode when "on the road" - will it stay in propane mode if it is parked but not on shore power?
Does the fireplace reset when in all modes (i.e., what happens if you set the thermostat to 85, 90 or 95 deg?)
Yes the frig works in propane mode when sitting still with no shore power. We start the trip with the frig working and we end the trip with the blinking error lights every time.

It does not matter what temp I have the fireplace set on it will randomly turn off no matter if i have it set to 65 or 82 I then have to turn the power switch off on the unit, wait 5 minutes and then turn it back on.

Thanks for the posts.

I am going to call Forest River tomorrow morning to let them know what is going on. i was planning on bringing the 5er to the dealer sometime next week.

Hitch
Old 11-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronb707 View Post
Might want to get the factory in on the fix before the dealer gets started. Is it only cosmetic, structural, or both? On some types of fixes I have heard they will replace the entire wall if that is the way it needs to be done. If it is structural I would want that repaired correctly prior to doing the cosmetic surface work.

Rockwood/Flagstaff has a fairly new state of the art separate factory in the Shipswana area that makes their own walls. I can't recall any other posts with the same wall issues as yours and it seems like the factory would want to be involved first hand.
I agree with RonB. Purchased a new 2904SS in September and didn't notice till I was ready to pull of the lot that I had cracks in the sidewall similar to yours. Dealer said their body shop could repair and I'd never know it was there. Long story short, I took it in last week and they sent pictures to Forest River. Got a call from Forest River warranty supervisor and he said it was my choice... either repair at dealer or return to factory for wall replacement. I asked what he recommended and was told the body shop repair would show up in 3 - 5 years and recommended replacement. We are heading to Florida for the winter and will return it to the factory in April. I was very impressed with the way Forest River handled this!
dpowli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:51 AM   #13

Im glad you are having better luck then I am with Forest River.
I have called three times and a Lady has transferred me to 3 different people, none answer of course, I left a voice message with my vin for all three. None have returned my call
Old 11-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #14

Try contacting Gregg Rollins at Forest River. He has been fantastic with us!

grollins@forestriverinc.com
Old 11-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #15

Thanks for the email.
He is one of the people I have left a voice message with no return call.
I am going to call again this morning.

Hitch
Old 11-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #16

He generally responds the same day. Maybe he is out of the office? He WILL respond! Good luck.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:45 PM   #17

Your fireplace shares the same circuit as your microwave through a switching device called an automatic energy select switch. It powers both devices, but when you use the microwave to heat something, it will turn off the fireplace in order to supply the microwave with the needed increase in power. A type of load shedding scheme. This is because there is some National Electrical Code requirement for no more than 5 circuits on a 30 amp power supply. They chose the fireplace because it is seen as a non critical load. To prove this to yourself, turn on the fireplace and flip the breaker labeled "Micro". This is not documented anywhere, and dealers neglect to tell their customers about it.
steve819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #18

Thanks for the info Steve.
That is not our issue, The fireplace shuts off and needs to reset when nothing else but a light and the living room TV is on.

I spoke to Chris @ Rockwood/Forest River today. he looked up my vin # and said the dealer has not made any mention of the fiberglass issues and advised me to not let them fix it without proper approval from him. I sent Chris pictures today, Im waiting for his response. As far as the other issues go, He sounded like he could care less about them, He said just let the dealer take care of them.

Hitch
Old 11-10-2014, 11:44 PM   #19

Regarding the fire place overheating and shutting down.
On my Leprechaun Class C the fireplace was mounted in an enclosed cabinet. The fresh air inlet is on top of unit inside the cabinet which had NO air opening so NO air could be pulled in and unit would shut down. Was able to cut register size hole so air from cabinet below sink would flow easy into fireplace air inlet.
Why they did not provide air source is unknown.

PAST- 2012 Coachman Leprechaun 319DSF w/TOAD -2011 Chevrolet Equinox 4-cyl. AWD, 2008 Springdale 266RL, 2002 Outback 25FB
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:32 AM   #20

Thanks for the tip, ours does have plenty of inlet air.
While winterizing the unit over the weekend I found water leaks everywhere
filter housing
water pump inlet
filter inlet
pump screen filter housing.

Just a mess
Driving the unit to the dealer in 1/2 hour to get everything worked on

Tags
280, 8280ws, warranty