Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2015, 11:31 AM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to pontiacdan45
Good Luck and Welcome. We have a 2015 8289 and so far it's been everything we hoped for. We're new and learning as we go.

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289 ws
2015 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD Gas:
pontiacdan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:12 PM   #22

Hi All,
I am brand new to this forum and joined because I would like to pick everyone's brain before we purchase a new 5th-wheel. My wife and I have been looking at shows and dealerships for the past 3 years anticipating her retirement in a couple of months. We have found two models that meet our "desires": the Rockwood 8289WS and the Reflection 29RS. Both have islands, full size beds, entertainment centers, free standing dinettes, 3 slides. Couple of questions I would like to pose to the forum members: Does the Rockwood stay warm in cooler climate conditions? Do you have the carpeted entertainment area or is it hardwood/linoleum? Anything you particularly like or would change now you've had an opportunity to actually drive and camp in it? Please be as honest as possible in your comments. Thanks!
Coaster51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #23

Hello Coaster51, you should start a new thread, this way the original one will not get lost with different information. A few us have the 8289ws here. I love it. I have the vinyl flooring in the center, and carpet on the slides. The fireplace is great for a chilly morning.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:03 PM   #24

Coaster51, Sounds like you research like I do. We have our new 8289ws and we are in Texas, so can't really give a good answer on cold climates. We do have the electric fireplace that puts out good heat and we have found from our last rv that it can keep you warm even in freezing temps. We have the linoleum in the living area and that helps with the dogs, carpet in the slide itself. The comfort level is great and can't think of anything I would change. The 29rs resembles the Rockwood 8288 which we also considered but decided it did not have enough windows on the door side. Hope this helps.
Tater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 02:45 PM   #25

My wife and I have the 8289WS Diamond package. We spent late winter in Florida, but in the panhandle. This year temperature got in the low 30s. It was cool. You can get a winter package added to your order. I believe you get more insulation and different windows. If I had to order again I would have gotten this package. The entertainment center is carpeted. When you order you can get a combination carpet linoleum or just carpet. We choose carpet with linoleum because we felt linoleum would be easier to keep clean. We love our unit and hope you have fun with yours.
Bears1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:07 PM   #26

Have a 2014 and love it. Would like a king bed but that will wait for the next camper.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:33 PM   #27

90% of the it is just the two of us traveling. For added space we left the two bar stools and two of the chairs at home. We did have a folding chair stored under the bed "just in case".

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:24 AM   #28

We've had our 2015 8289WS for exactly a year and love almost everything about it except we gave up storage space both inside and outside from our previous trailer and we wish we had more walking space on the passenger side of the bed. Other than that we upgraded to E rated tires, changed out the blue refrigerator lights to white and now we love it. Tows great as well behind our Ram 2500. Best of luck with yours.

Ken & Sherry Bennett
TheBennetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:33 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater70 View Post
We got the new baby, we are so excited. Spent the night in the driveway. Very comfortable and have everything in its place. The big trip starts June 1st.
We also have the 2014 8289ws. Had to chuckle on the camping in the driveway. Our first camping experience was in our yard! Overall we love the camper.
KathyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:59 PM   #30

We like the 8289 a lot. Would like to have a table or shelf next to the bed on the starbord side. If you are using a Reese revolution pin box, there are some issues with the wedge to understand. If you get the Sumec wheels and the Chinese tires there are some issues noted in a forum. Before you decide read some of the comments. I didn't even think to check the forums before I bought, but all in all the rig is a keeper. I'd also like the hot water to be both gas and electric. Handy when at a park.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:01 PM   #31
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacdan45 View Post
We like the 8289 a lot. Would like to have a table or shelf next to the bed on the starbord side. If you are using a Reese revolution pin box, there are some issues with the wedge to understand. If you get the Sumec wheels and the Chinese tires there are some issues noted in a forum. Before you decide read some of the comments. I didn't even think to check the forums before I bought, but all in all the rig is a keeper. I'd also like the hot water to be both gas and electric. Handy when at a park.
Are you sure your hot water tank isn't electric as well? We have the 2014 and it has both, electric switch outside on the tank if you do...And by the way, check your signature...you have a Rockwood trailer, not a Rockford...unless they changed the name on me for 2015!
Old 05-18-2015, 06:44 PM   #32

I have a 2015 and mine is electric and gas.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:34 PM   #33

Thanks for pointing that out. Can you elaborate on the water heater? I can hear the gas ignite, and there is a switch on the main panel, but I don't see any electric switch on the heater.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:37 PM   #34

Quote:
Already replaced the wedge with a custom from Reese, will have to look at the tires and the water heater is both electric and gas. The switch for gas is inside and for electric is inside the water heater cover on the outside.
Tater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:44 AM   #35
WFD

Open the outside cover to the water heater, and down below to the left of the anode rod is a toggle switch...that's your on off switch for electric water heater. The reason they put it outside is so you don't, or someone else doesn't accidentally turn it on when your hot water tank is empty. Only takes a few seconds to burn out the element.
When we arrive to a site, I normally fire up the gas heater in order to have hot water available quicker, then switch over to electric for the duration of our stay.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:17 AM   #36

8289 Hot Water Heater.

Thanks, again,

There is two rubber covered buttons. One says reset on the rubber. Other than that I'm lost. I'll post a photo of it later. We're on our way soon. Wasn't long ago I said here that this is my first rodeo. Never camped or owned a RV or camper. I appreciate all the advise and help. There isn't much way to show grattitude other than a smile. :0

Old 05-19-2015, 11:06 AM   #37

Quote:
We like the 8289 a lot. Would like to have a table or shelf next to the bed on the starbord side.
Annnnnnd...there's a Mod for that

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post658880

Had the same problem and found a rather easy solution
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:10 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater70 View Post
will have to look at the tires.
After reading all about the "China Bomb" issues, we replaced our tires with Goodyear Marathons and bumped them up a load Rating (D). We had just over 1K on the tires when we did that...right after I saw a unit being towed into our dealership with a blown-out tire AND a destroyed fender skirt and siding
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:34 AM   #39

Quote:
Thanks, again,

There is two rubber covered buttons. One says reset on the rubber. Other than that I'm lost. I'll post a photo of it later. We're on our way soon. Wasn't long ago I said here that this is my first rodeo. Never camped or owned a RV or camper. I appreciate all the advise and help. There isn't much way to show grattitude other than a smile. :0
One is a reset for the electrical side and the other is for the propane side. If your hot water tank is full just leave the switch in the compartment to on, If you want a faster recovery use the switch with the red led on it, that will light up when you use propane. You can use both together. Once I fill my tank and put the electric switch on I just leave it on for the whole season. When taking a shower I will also put the propane on and the they will work in conjunction of each other.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:54 PM   #40

We have a 2013 8289ws Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite Diamond package. Look real hard at water heater. Our electrical switch is located on it. Just a word to the wise never turn on your water heater unless you have water in it.
Bears1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood