Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2017, 07:14 PM   #1

New 2509S Mini Lite - Bathroom sink hooked to Black Tank?

In all the trailers we have owned the bathroom sink fed the black water holding tank. Is this true on a 2509S? Since the black water tank never gets enough filling on a short trip it is easier running the sink than putting your foot on the toilet.

Anybody know how these things are plumbed?

Thanks
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:17 PM   #2

Sink goes to Grey tank.

Sent from my Pixel using Forest River Forums mobile app
2013 Rockwood Windjammer 3001w Diamond
Handydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:01 AM   #3

I don't know about the 2509s, but for sure our 2016 2504s the bathroom sink drains into the black tank. The shower and kitchen drain into the gray tank. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:45 AM   #4

I have a 2017 2504s and only the toilet drains to the black tank.

We pretty much only dry camp over weekends. Before I head to the dump station I fill the black tank to 1/2 using the toilet peddle, add a black tank treatment pod and a bag of ice to help scrub the tank.
Kintu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:07 PM   #5

Thanks for your replies.

Two of you have confirmed that the bathroom sink drains into the Black tank which makes sense. The 2509S has an outdoor kitchen but so little water is used there it won't matter which tank it goes to.

For us it is easier to turn the sink on to fill the Black tank prior to shaking things up and dumping.

This forum is great. Next mod is a water accumulator to stop the water pump from turning on for those quick finger cleanings.

We have a fire in the canyon we camped at a week ago and the road is closed. Gave me some thought as to how well we would handle a few extra days in the hills with no cell phones. Other than not having big full meals - it might be nice. I think we will throw in a few cans of food for an extra day or so.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintu2 View Post
I have a 2017 2504s and only the toilet drains to the black tank.

We pretty much only dry camp over weekends. Before I head to the dump station I fill the black tank to 1/2 using the toilet peddle, add a black tank treatment pod and a bag of ice to help scrub the tank.
Add Black Water Treatment before you dump ???
I think I would add it after you dump with a couple of gallons of water !!!
We use the GEO method after dumping,,, before we head home !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:57 PM   #7

Our 2506S has 2 grey water tanks and bathroom sink drains into grey. Interesting about the different configurations. Our black water tank is only toilet.
LLMRPh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLMRPh View Post
Our 2506S has 2 grey water tanks and bathroom sink drains into grey. Interesting about the different configurations. Our black water tank is only toilet.
It's all tied to the floor plan. If they can't get something to the grey tank because the black is in the way, it goes to the black.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Toilet is the only thing that is supposed to produce Black Water !!!
LOL !!!
Old 06-30-2017, 06:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Add Black Water Treatment before you dump ???

I think I would add it after you dump with a couple of gallons of water !!!

We use the GEO method after dumping,,, before we head home !!!

LOL! Wolverine 1945 that was an omission on my part. I do the treatment before I depart to allow the pod and ice to work with the motion of our drive home to really break down everything in the tank. After I dump I treat again adding 1 gallon of water, a bag of ice and a pod before I drive the short distance and store the RV for the week. We are dry camping weekly Friday to Sunday so I double treat to keep the tank and clean as possible. I know it may be over kill but I am the only one in our "softball RV hood" that allows "full use" of our RV bathroom. Other families in our group won't allow anything solid including TP down the hole. TP goes in a container by the potty [emoji58]. They drive to a gas station, use the park facilities, McD, etc. for anything beyond yellow.

As a solo mom with a daughter playing travel softball I really can't do all that back and forth. So... we actually USE our RV restroom and I double treat the tanks... just to be OCD. 🤣
Kintu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintu2 View Post
LOL! Wolverine 1945 that was an omission on my part. I do the treatment before I depart to allow the pod and ice to work with the motion of our drive home to really break down everything in the tank. After I dump I treat again adding 1 gallon of water, a bag of ice and a pod before I drive the short distance and store the RV for the week. We are dry camping weekly Friday to Sunday so I double treat to keep the tank and clean as possible. I know it may be over kill but I am the only one in our "softball RV hood" that allows "full use" of our RV bathroom. Other families in our group won't allow anything solid including TP down the hole. TP goes in a container by the potty [emoji58]. They drive to a gas station, use the park facilities, McD, etc. for anything beyond yellow.

As a solo mom with a daughter playing travel softball I really can't do all that back and forth. So... we actually USE our RV restroom and I double treat the tanks... just to be OCD. 🤣
I have read of people putting their dirty TP in a basket next to the pottie,,,
Not for me !!! Maybe that is why they make TP Digester ???
LOL !!!
Old 06-30-2017, 07:04 AM   #12

I need to check this out on my 2015 2504S. I never thought about it before. I always assumed the toilet went to the black, and that's it. The sink cabinet touches the shower/tub, so running the drain to the gray (since the shower is to the gray) seemed logical. But I definitely need to know now because I never considered it to be any other way. Because I add Odorlos treatment to both the black and gray tanks after dumping. The issue I just discovered from this thread is that my method for introducing the treatment into the gray tank is via the bathroom sink. Since I'm right there I put the treatment into the toilet, and then into the sink. Run water for both, and move on to the next thing. So now I am concerned that for 4 years I have been, essentially, doubling up on black tank treatment for no reason, and not treating the gray tank as intended, lol

Old 06-30-2017, 07:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
I need to check this out on my 2015 2504S. I never thought about it before. I always assumed the toilet went to the black, and that's it. The sink cabinet touches the shower/tub, so running the drain to the gray (since the shower is to the gray) seemed logical. But I definitely need to know now because I never considered it to be any other way. Because I add Odorlos treatment to both the black and gray tanks after dumping. The issue I just discovered from this thread is that my method for introducing the treatment into the gray tank is via the bathroom sink. Since I'm right there I put the treatment into the toilet, and then into the sink. Run water for both, and move on to the next thing. So now I am concerned that for 4 years I have been, essentially, doubling up on black tank treatment for no reason, and not treating the gray tank as intended, lol
Sounds like a good possibility ???
So maybe you need to add Gray Water Odor Control to Kitchen sink !!!
Old 07-05-2017, 08:31 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_Grandpa View Post
Two of you have confirmed that the bathroom sink drains into the Black tank which makes sense.
For the record, which TWO members above this declaration confirmed that the bathroom sink drains into the Black tank? I only see one (Jay2504). What am I missing?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #15

My MiniLite 2506S definitely does NOT drain the bathroom sink into black. It actually has its own gray tank (with the shower) separate from the kitchen sink gray tank.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:35 AM   #16

Quote:
My MiniLite 2506S definitely does NOT drain the bathroom sink into black. It actually has its own gray tank (with the shower) separate from the kitchen sink gray tank.
So you must have 3 tanks ??? 2 Gray 1 Black !!!
Old 07-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #17

We have a Rockwood 2608WS with three tanks.

Galley (kitchen sink only), bathroom sink and shower into second gray, and then of course the toilet into the black.

The thing that bugs me is the separate drain when dumping for the galley tank. When you have a line behind you at the dump station and they see me disconnect to only connect to another tank, well, I can only assume what is going through their minds. ;-) Luckily it drains pretty quickly and does additional rinsing of the stinky slinky.
EvvTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:57 PM   #18

Rockwood Mini Lite 2509S bathroom toilet to grey water tank

OK folks,

It looks like there isn't much consistency between models but I have determined that the 2509S trailer bathroom sink does, in fact, empty into the grey water tank.

Here is how I found out:

While installing a water pressure accumulator tank next to the water pump I noticed an ABS drain pipe in the same cabinet. It came from below the floor, had a T-connection that went to the sink and then a pipe that went to a roof vent. On this model there is another vent for the black water tank (right next to the roof vent) and more to the rear of the trailer (over the Black tank)

So to add water to fill the black water tank - the toilet is the only way to do it for me. I am not sure where the outside kitchen empties because all the pipes are covered - a task for another day.

I read on the forum about installing water shutoff valves for the outside kitchen. Probably a good idea for camping in freezing weather. Anybody done this?

Let's keep this post going to help others determine if their sink hits the grey water or black water tank.

Missed a camp trip today - had to install a new kitchen sink in the house with no wheels.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvvTraveler View Post
We have a Rockwood 2608WS with three tanks.

Galley (kitchen sink only), bathroom sink and shower into second gray, and then of course the toilet into the black.

The thing that bugs me is the separate drain when dumping for the galley tank. When you have a line behind you at the dump station and they see me disconnect to only connect to another tank, well, I can only assume what is going through their minds. ;-) Luckily it drains pretty quickly and does additional rinsing of the stinky slinky.
My 2506s with it's front kitchen also has 3 tanks - 1 gray in front, and in the rear a black and gray that tie together. It's a PITA dealing with the front gray tank, as it always seems to be about 1 foot too far for my hose to easily connect, AND it's underneath my slide.

How taboo is it to let this small kitchen sink tank just "burp out" it's soapy gray water onto the ground? I've yet to do this, but I do wonder.
csyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:25 PM   #20

Agreed with people about the PITA aspect of the front gray tank on the 2506S ... first trip out I had no idea! And I wondered why my supposedly large gray tank filled up so quickly! LOL! But I figure it keeps me in shape to do the yoga moves required to get under the slideout to hook up that tank when I'm at a full hookup site!

Tags
bathroom, black, black tank, lite, roo, sink, tank