Old 06-25-2011, 10:39 PM   #11
49 year camping veteran

Busy couple of days so far.
Got the truck grill & push bar back from the coater, so the truck doesn't look so silly.

Got the new replacement LED tail lights installed & tested. Much brighter, even in direct sunlight.

Maxterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:45 PM   #12
49 year camping veteran

Saw on some other models, they were putting courtesy lights in the step wells.
I really liked that idea a lot, but since I'm on my way to a complete LED conversion of the trailer lighting, the plain old porch light put in the step was not going to do it.

Found these cool strip lights at auto zone, after my son showed me some he was installing in his friends car.

Got them installed in each well and wired to a switch just under the electric awning button by the rear door.
Will have to get some night pics, but even in the evening shade, they're quite bright. Should have took an amp reading to see what they pull....

Have a new firestick CB antenna to put on and tune tomorrow. The old one and the mount are both quite weathered and look bad.

Got the 2.5" memory foam pad on the bed today. Feels so much better now. I also the egg crate foam pad from the old trailer, but I think that will be too much cush and sinking feeling.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:12 PM   #13
49 year camping veteran

Havent found any wheel chocks locally to fit the narrow wheel spacing on the trailer. Running out of time to order any, and have spent plenty the last few weeks.

Quick layout on autodcad to get size & angles figured, and here is the final product this evening.

Installed:

Now I just need these to put on them so I don't forget them.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #14

Hope you enjoy your 2604. We purchased ours March 2010, and we've enjoyed it. There have been a few issues, but we were able to take care of them under warranty.

We recently retired and sold our home. We lived in our trailer for a little over 5 weeks while waiting for our new home to be built. The trailer is really not a "full-time" trailer, but we managed fine. Open rear sitting area allowed us to enjoy evenings in the trailer when it was simply too hot to venture outside.

We're in our new home now, but we're eagerly looking forward to our next outing.

Your mods look great. Wish I was as handy as you.

Regards,
Keith
SKOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #15
49 year camping veteran

The first real day on the road from UT to OR.
360 miles traveled and headwinds most of the way, affecting all of our caravan of four vehicles.
Trailer pulls pretty well and so far, and no problems to report, other than I went to raise the stabilizer jacks this morning, NO GO!

Found the fuse in the electrical panel blown (20a).
Wasn't quite sure why that happened, but then I realized when we dropped them, both my son and I extended them at the same time. Probably not fused to run both sets together...
Old 07-11-2011, 01:30 AM   #16
49 year camping veteran

Overdue trip report! Been on the road 7 days now and happy to report that, overall everything is going quite well with the new trailer.

Things I can think of right now that have occurred or need attention:
Co2 / propane alarm likes to go off when nothing is on or running and windows/doors are open. Mostly propane.... Finally had to pull fuse off the back of the unit to prevent a heart attack on the dog.
Bathroom swing door getting extremely tight to Open/close. Something shifting or moving. Back to dealer when home in another week.
Bathroom slide door from bedroom. Little strap to hold closed or opened pulled out of screw. Had to re-attach.
Bathroom slide door disconnected from one trolley and fell down. Got reattached w/o removing valance. Attributed to these ever-worsening Oregon roads as we make our way up the Pacific coast. Since Tilamook and north, terrible road surfaces ! Very hard on the trailer. Every stop yields open cupboard doors and things askew!
Fridge fan continually cycling, even during 40's nights! Needs to be addresses by dealer, as really annoying all night long.
One trim bezel for rear roof vent falling off, as screws miss ceiling material. Dealer repair. Got 3 of 4 screws barely holding now.

That's the minor problems, but overall everything is working fine! Pulling nicely! Enjoying power stabilizers and awning. Just have to remember to install wheel chock between driver-side tires before opening slide.
Also determined that we need to have drivers side one bubble setting higher before opening slide to compensate for trailer tilt after opening slide, as you can't individually adjust stabilizers.
The DVD player will not play past the DVD midpoint where the disc reverses reading. Keeps getting hung up and will not work after that. Dealer repair item.

Found we need to run the pwr stabilizers almost to stall to attempt to hold trailer steady.
Also going to change to oxygenics shower head per forum recommendations.

Really not complaining, as nothing is serious at all. Enjoying the extra space in the rear.
Overall, working out well as anticipated on it's shakedown run of near 2k miles when complete.

Hope everything continues to work out.
Found a radiator coolant leak on the truck I'll address in the morning.

Night all!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #17

Can you tell me what you do with the 2 chairs in the 2604 when underway. Do they have tie downs? Thanks Jack
Old 07-21-2011, 12:12 AM   #18
49 year camping veteran

Well.
After a 2500 mile trip from Utah thru Idaho, Oregon, Washington and back over 2 weeks went pretty much without a hitch!
Enjoyed the new trailer quite a bit and it worked out well for the family.

Really no major issues at all to report beyond what was mentioned. The door getting tight was due to the humidity, and is back to normal now.

Wife has the inside cleaned out, but I have some major cleaning on the outside of truck and trailer both after that many miles.

Thanks Forest River, and to the forums for all the info and ideas this place provides!!!

Oh, and in reference to the previous post, I leave the one chair by the door, and as I close the slide, raise the other one up slightly as its facing the couch while setting in the entryway. When the slide is closed, it snugs them both together with the lamp table to keep them from moving.
If we need to access the trailer on the road with slide closed, we use the forward door.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxterra View Post

<snip>

Oh, and in reference to the previous post, I leave the one chair by the door, and as I close the slide, raise the other one up slightly as its facing the couch while setting in the entryway. When the slide is closed, it snugs them both together with the lamp table to keep them from moving.
If we need to access the trailer on the road with slide closed, we use the forward door.
If you get a chance I'd love to see pictures of the chair placement. I'm having trouble visualizing it with the lamp table.
We got our new 2604 2 weeks ago, and are planning to head out for the first trip with it this Saturday. Hopefully all goes well.
Maybe someone here knows for sure- the 110v plug near the water heater- is that for electric element use only? If I use propane, can I unplug that? I'll open the other side of the duplex sometime, but for this trip, the thought of using that for the cordless drill charger sounds good.

Thank you to you and all who have taken the time to post about their mods, fixes and ideas on the forum. I've spent hours reading, taken a lot of notes, and have much work waiting for me to implement some of them.
2011 Rockwood 2604
K_and_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:23 PM   #20
49 year camping veteran

Here's the way I hauled the chair on the trip. I close the slide until the sliding carpet about hits the chair. Then raise the chair up with one hand against my knee and finish closing the slide so I don't jam up the carpet. THen I place a pillow or bag between the slide & lamp table so it doesnt hit the trim.

In the second pic, I believe is how FR intended the chair to be hauled nested on the couch. The rep showed me the Y strap that anchors to the floor eyelet and said the other straps are on each side, rear of the couch. Had to fish around a bit to find them.
This might work too, but I don't like how it pulls up on the thin flooring of the slide with minimal tension on the strap adjustments.

Will try this method out on the next trip in a couple of weeks.

As for your question about the water heater plug. Yes it would work for the charger too with no problem (more than adequate).
I will either change out the plug to a new duplex, or open up the second receptacle as mentioned on the forum. Great idea for a charger location, as that's where I carried my drill & driver bag kit anyway on the last trip.

Matter of fact, you mentioning the electric element in the water heater made me realize I forgot to ever switch it on during the last trip. No big deal, as I'm still running on the first propane tank even after 2 weeks straight use of cooking, water heater, furnace occasionally (yes, it was very cool in OR & WA), using the new BBQ which worked out not too bad for a simple grill. Then traveling every day or two, causing the fridge to run on gas.

Tags
2604, utah