Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
49 year camping veteran

New 2604 in Utah

Picked up a new trailer a couple of weeks ago, after trading in my '04 forest River Sandpiper 25 footer.
That trailer was pretty nice and virtually NO problems at all with it. Couple of recalls was pretty much it. Dislike was the combination of height, balance, weight that made it not so nice to tow due to resistance, sway and lots of feedback into the truck, which is an F350 powerstroke crewcab 4x4.

The new TT, using the same hitch/equalizer setup tows remarkably smooth and feels much lighter and improved balance/manners.
Liking the expanded room area in the back, which will be very nice for visitors seating. Drawbacks are reduced storage and cabinets, but that's the tradeoff.

Issues so far?
  • Water heater completely inoperative on gas mode. Took back in, and they said there was a bad crip in a connector. Brought back home, and the heater fires up.
  • Leak in the glass shower enclosure. Run the shower, and get a puddle on the floor. Dealer re-sealed, but have not yet tested it since.
  • Missing remote control for the TV. Per the dealer, on order.
  • Batteries went dead, while plugged in? Found both 40a fuses to the inverter blown? No idea the cause. Had some severe thunderstorms/rain a couple nights before, but no idea... Changed fuses and all has been fine since.
  • Did a more thourough test on the water heater, running off the water tank. Unit ran for a bout 45 minutes and then it started opening up the relief valve on the heater. Grabbed a thermometer and tested the tap water at 175 deg (supposed to shut off at 130). Took back to the dealer. Said they tested it (on city water connect) and it shut off correctly after 30 minutes without problem. As I'm writing this, my son just informed me it blew out again, overtemped and never did shut off for nearly an hour!!
  • Going to go out AGAIN and connect the city water first, and again purge the heater to make sure there's no air in it. Then try again, and maybe test on city water too to make sure they're not full of BS.
Leaving in a couple weeks on a two-week trip to OR, so this situation better get rectified SOON!

Have tested the fridge for several days, AC, Furnace and every other powered device I can think of to make sure of no suprises (I hope).

More to come, but I gotta go do more testing now
Maxterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
49 year camping veteran

Trying to figure out where to store all supplies and materials all over again, which is always fun.
The wife found a nice 4-bar towell rack for the bathroom, versus the small single bar that came with it.

Added a maglite holder by the door and have larger fire extinguishers for both doors. Just waiting for my quick-fist mounts to get here for a solid mounting point for them. Quick Fist Clamps Wife also found a cool folding hanger mount that's up above the flashlight for coats, etc.

Added a 12v outlet under the fridge next to the power dist. panel, as I typically haul a coleman thermoelectric cooler with us for beverages so we don't tie up fridge space. I typically move that outside once camp is set up and plug into its converter for 120v opertion at camp.
Had a spare fuse slot open, so perfect!
Old 06-21-2011, 10:50 PM   #3
49 year camping veteran

Noticed in the front storage compartment, the little piece of paneling they put in front of the water heater and filter really blocked off the filter access. Did some trimming to aid in clearance to the filter:

Before:

After:

Found some wasted space under the bathroom sink, due to the same cover panels. Figured this would be a great place for TP storage as it's not heavy enough to damage piping or wiring behind the panel.

Before:

After:
Old 06-21-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
49 year camping veteran

Took the sound system remote and placed velcro on it and the TV recess area, so I know where it's always at. Will do the same with the TV when I get it.

Lots more to do, but gotta get the water heater fixed!!
Blew off twice tonight. Once on city water (like they told me they tested it at) and once on the tank/pump.
Both popped the relief valve, and had almost 180 deg water out the tap, with the unit never shutting off near an hour run time.

Got some replacement LED tail lights coming right now. Want to change out the markers to LED as well, and am going to try some of the LED interior light upgrades too. Backup lights, amber courtesy lights in the step wells....

Time for bed!

Oh, And the most important mod of all! The battery disconnect switch, so I don't always have to pull the fuse for the gas detector/fridge to keep from running doen the batteries.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #5

Maxtera; our 2604 (2012) had a 12v outlet behind the door under the TV. Also our panel in front of the water filter is in a slide track so I can just push it back to get at the filter etc.
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
49 year camping veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
Maxtera; our 2604 (2012) had a 12v outlet behind the door under the TV. Also our panel in front of the water filter is in a slide track so I can just push it back to get at the filter etc.
Yep. 12v Outlet in the cabinet under the TV, but not accessible when the slide is closed, and I'd worry that it I had the power cable feeding under the door, it would not stay closed, and then be forcefully removed when somebody opened or closed the slide. New outlet is right next to the cooler travel position.

My panel in front of the water heater doesn't move or slide. Have to pull the screws for access.....
Old 06-22-2011, 09:34 PM   #7

Your 2604 SS Modifications

Dear Maxterra;
I really like the modifications that you have done to your 2604. We also own this same model although ours is a 2010. I took the entire panel out from in front of the water filter and heater, and what to my surprise I found a dual A/C outlet that the water heater is plugged into with an one outlet that was blocked out with plastic to prevent it's use. I took the box apart and used a dremel tool to make the plug useable. I use it to plug in a Battery Tender JR that I have run the pigtail thru the water heater conduit to it's access panel which I can open to access and then run the cable to hookup to the pigtails attached to my battery for charging. I have isolated the battery with a switch so as not to have the battery in line with the converter but by the much better Battery Tender. Most converters and their charging circuit will cause you to have to constantly tend to your electrolyte level. My Battery Tender has not caused me to loose any ever! I can keep both the Storage compartment closed and locked ( all my compartment locks have been changed out to Combi Locks) and the cover for the water heater panel closed with the wire draped thru the panel bottom and run to the pigtails that I have connected to the battery for charging. I also use this outlet to charge my electric drill batteries whick I use for my jack stands. The one thing I really don't like about our trailer is the lack of a tall enough wardrobe for jackets etc. I have hooks all over the inside of the trailer to hang jackets and robes from, but not happy with the look. I have often thought of building a closet in the left rear corner of the trailer where you have your folding jacket hanger. Have not taken dimensions yet to see if i could make it big enough. The small corner shelf would probably have to go unless there is somthing interior of same to prevent it's removal. If anyone out there has an idea for this for the 2604 please let me know!!
Gunnarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #8
49 year camping veteran

^^^^^^^ Total agreement on the closet space issue.
Something we really miss from the previous trailer. That main closet was tall enough, that I was able to add two shelves at the bottom for towells storage.

Really like your idea on the battery tender, as I really hate to leave mine just setting up on the tongue. Gonna look that idea over when I get back.

Just got back from dropping off the trailer at the service dept again. Tried the water heater operation out a couple more times today, and every time it runs 45 minutes to an hour continuously and then blows the relief valve (but still continues to heat).

If they tell me that they can find nothing wrong again..... I'm afraid i'll be going back to the remedial anger management and sensitivity training class, AGAIN!

Leaving a week from tomorrow now, so it's gotta be finished up.

Got the quick-fist mounts in today and installed by each door to hold a 5 and 7 lb extinguisher.

The billet grill and pre-runner bar for the f350 are done at the powdercoater and I can pick up tomorrow. Original coating on the grill was coming off, and the bumper needed refinishing after several years. More work to complete.
New 5-position chip on its way from Diesel Performance to replace the US Gear chip I've had in there for many years. That chip and the ATS transmission have always conflicted a bit, so I hope this will settle that down (mostly OD issues), plus give me a lot more range on the HP settings (up to 150+hp ) at the highest settings. The US gear was +70 I believe....

Gotta be optimistic the water heater is easily fixable. I have no idea where the water temp control thermostat is,as the little diagram only show the gas & elec overtemp switches. Not sure if its in the igniter module (easy change) of it internal like the overtemps are..

After over a year of non-stop overtime at work, the last 5 months at 80 to 90 hrs wk, and no vacations (even last summer), I am more than freaking ready to get away for a couple of weeks!!! Wife says I have to leave my phone at home though.

Was looking at Crater Lake webcams yesterday, and looks like close to 8' of snow still at the visitor center, though the park is open. Mount St Helens has always intrigued me as well as the costal hwy. Lots to see & do.
Very Excited
Old 06-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #9
dap

I have a 2011 2604SS.
I took the hanger bar out of one of the closets and put about 10 eye hooks across the top for wire hangers to hang from,this raises the height a couple of inches.
My big mod was to reverse the door so that it swings into the bathroom,this was easily accomplished by changing the trim pieces from one side to the other.
dap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #10
49 year camping veteran

Water heater issue all fixed. Thermostat assy replaced and tested out good a couple of times last night.

More work to do on the trailer and truck this weekend yet.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:39 PM   #11
49 year camping veteran

Busy couple of days so far.
Got the truck grill & push bar back from the coater, so the truck doesn't look so silly.

Got the new replacement LED tail lights installed & tested. Much brighter, even in direct sunlight.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:45 PM   #12
49 year camping veteran

Saw on some other models, they were putting courtesy lights in the step wells.
I really liked that idea a lot, but since I'm on my way to a complete LED conversion of the trailer lighting, the plain old porch light put in the step was not going to do it.

Found these cool strip lights at auto zone, after my son showed me some he was installing in his friends car.

Got them installed in each well and wired to a switch just under the electric awning button by the rear door.
Will have to get some night pics, but even in the evening shade, they're quite bright. Should have took an amp reading to see what they pull....

Have a new firestick CB antenna to put on and tune tomorrow. The old one and the mount are both quite weathered and look bad.

Got the 2.5" memory foam pad on the bed today. Feels so much better now. I also the egg crate foam pad from the old trailer, but I think that will be too much cush and sinking feeling.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #13
49 year camping veteran

Havent found any wheel chocks locally to fit the narrow wheel spacing on the trailer. Running out of time to order any, and have spent plenty the last few weeks.

Quick layout on autodcad to get size & angles figured, and here is the final product this evening.

Installed:

Now I just need these to put on them so I don't forget them.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:19 PM   #14

Hope you enjoy your 2604. We purchased ours March 2010, and we've enjoyed it. There have been a few issues, but we were able to take care of them under warranty.

We recently retired and sold our home. We lived in our trailer for a little over 5 weeks while waiting for our new home to be built. The trailer is really not a "full-time" trailer, but we managed fine. Open rear sitting area allowed us to enjoy evenings in the trailer when it was simply too hot to venture outside.

We're in our new home now, but we're eagerly looking forward to our next outing.

Your mods look great. Wish I was as handy as you.

Regards,
Keith
SKOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #15
49 year camping veteran

The first real day on the road from UT to OR.
360 miles traveled and headwinds most of the way, affecting all of our caravan of four vehicles.
Trailer pulls pretty well and so far, and no problems to report, other than I went to raise the stabilizer jacks this morning, NO GO!

Found the fuse in the electrical panel blown (20a).
Wasn't quite sure why that happened, but then I realized when we dropped them, both my son and I extended them at the same time. Probably not fused to run both sets together...
Old 07-11-2011, 12:30 AM   #16
49 year camping veteran

Overdue trip report! Been on the road 7 days now and happy to report that, overall everything is going quite well with the new trailer.

Things I can think of right now that have occurred or need attention:
Co2 / propane alarm likes to go off when nothing is on or running and windows/doors are open. Mostly propane.... Finally had to pull fuse off the back of the unit to prevent a heart attack on the dog.
Bathroom swing door getting extremely tight to Open/close. Something shifting or moving. Back to dealer when home in another week.
Bathroom slide door from bedroom. Little strap to hold closed or opened pulled out of screw. Had to re-attach.
Bathroom slide door disconnected from one trolley and fell down. Got reattached w/o removing valance. Attributed to these ever-worsening Oregon roads as we make our way up the Pacific coast. Since Tilamook and north, terrible road surfaces ! Very hard on the trailer. Every stop yields open cupboard doors and things askew!
Fridge fan continually cycling, even during 40's nights! Needs to be addresses by dealer, as really annoying all night long.
One trim bezel for rear roof vent falling off, as screws miss ceiling material. Dealer repair. Got 3 of 4 screws barely holding now.

That's the minor problems, but overall everything is working fine! Pulling nicely! Enjoying power stabilizers and awning. Just have to remember to install wheel chock between driver-side tires before opening slide.
Also determined that we need to have drivers side one bubble setting higher before opening slide to compensate for trailer tilt after opening slide, as you can't individually adjust stabilizers.
The DVD player will not play past the DVD midpoint where the disc reverses reading. Keeps getting hung up and will not work after that. Dealer repair item.

Found we need to run the pwr stabilizers almost to stall to attempt to hold trailer steady.
Also going to change to oxygenics shower head per forum recommendations.

Really not complaining, as nothing is serious at all. Enjoying the extra space in the rear.
Overall, working out well as anticipated on it's shakedown run of near 2k miles when complete.

Hope everything continues to work out.
Found a radiator coolant leak on the truck I'll address in the morning.

Night all!
Old 07-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #17

Can you tell me what you do with the 2 chairs in the 2604 when underway. Do they have tie downs? Thanks Jack
jacksum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:12 PM   #18
49 year camping veteran

Well.
After a 2500 mile trip from Utah thru Idaho, Oregon, Washington and back over 2 weeks went pretty much without a hitch!
Enjoyed the new trailer quite a bit and it worked out well for the family.

Really no major issues at all to report beyond what was mentioned. The door getting tight was due to the humidity, and is back to normal now.

Wife has the inside cleaned out, but I have some major cleaning on the outside of truck and trailer both after that many miles.

Thanks Forest River, and to the forums for all the info and ideas this place provides!!!

Oh, and in reference to the previous post, I leave the one chair by the door, and as I close the slide, raise the other one up slightly as its facing the couch while setting in the entryway. When the slide is closed, it snugs them both together with the lamp table to keep them from moving.
If we need to access the trailer on the road with slide closed, we use the forward door.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxterra View Post

<snip>

Oh, and in reference to the previous post, I leave the one chair by the door, and as I close the slide, raise the other one up slightly as its facing the couch while setting in the entryway. When the slide is closed, it snugs them both together with the lamp table to keep them from moving.
If we need to access the trailer on the road with slide closed, we use the forward door.
If you get a chance I'd love to see pictures of the chair placement. I'm having trouble visualizing it with the lamp table.
We got our new 2604 2 weeks ago, and are planning to head out for the first trip with it this Saturday. Hopefully all goes well.
Maybe someone here knows for sure- the 110v plug near the water heater- is that for electric element use only? If I use propane, can I unplug that? I'll open the other side of the duplex sometime, but for this trip, the thought of using that for the cordless drill charger sounds good.

Thank you to you and all who have taken the time to post about their mods, fixes and ideas on the forum. I've spent hours reading, taken a lot of notes, and have much work waiting for me to implement some of them.
2011 Rockwood 2604
K_and_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #20
49 year camping veteran

Here's the way I hauled the chair on the trip. I close the slide until the sliding carpet about hits the chair. Then raise the chair up with one hand against my knee and finish closing the slide so I don't jam up the carpet. THen I place a pillow or bag between the slide & lamp table so it doesnt hit the trim.

In the second pic, I believe is how FR intended the chair to be hauled nested on the couch. The rep showed me the Y strap that anchors to the floor eyelet and said the other straps are on each side, rear of the couch. Had to fish around a bit to find them.
This might work too, but I don't like how it pulls up on the thin flooring of the slide with minimal tension on the strap adjustments.

Will try this method out on the next trip in a couple of weeks.

As for your question about the water heater plug. Yes it would work for the charger too with no problem (more than adequate).
I will either change out the plug to a new duplex, or open up the second receptacle as mentioned on the forum. Great idea for a charger location, as that's where I carried my drill & driver bag kit anyway on the last trip.

Matter of fact, you mentioning the electric element in the water heater made me realize I forgot to ever switch it on during the last trip. No big deal, as I'm still running on the first propane tank even after 2 weeks straight use of cooking, water heater, furnace occasionally (yes, it was very cool in OR & WA), using the new BBQ which worked out not too bad for a simple grill. Then traveling every day or two, causing the fridge to run on gas.

Tags
2604, utah