Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2008, 09:24 PM   #1
Cyber Phrenologist

Smile New 8280SS - what I like!

Well, as total newbies we towed the thing about 700 miles through all sort of (summer) weather conditions on just about every kind of road surface and traffic conditions.

We stayed in a KOA and 2 state parks, for a total of 7 nights.

Here's our first impressions of the new camper:

Stuff we like:

NO LEAKS! ANYWHERE!!

Has very good towing manners, no problem for the F-150 to pull. Very well behaved on uneven, bumpy roads and on the freeway with big trucks passing.
I will improve transmission cooling (yes, I have the tow package) before next summer.

The kitchen! Huge counter space and more cabinet space than I think we'll ever need. Massive pantry.
The way the faucet head is also a spray nozzle on a hose and looks and works great at the same time.
The lift tubes on the overhead cabinets keep the doors firmy open OR shut.
The refrigerator worked great in 90 degree heat, and so did the A/C. In fact all the major systems we used on the trip were flawless. Did not use water pump or furnace. Even the Concertone XZ600 worked great!
The matress is a full (real) queen and slept very well.
The lights in the basement! And by the steps.
All the chairs are comfy, we saw no problems with interior fit and finish. Like the hidden storage in the dining room chair seats. (Shhh! It's a secret)
We like all the storage in the bedroom, three wardrobes and some drawers.
The toilet room has a window! Like the open bath layout. Like the tiny tub in the bottom of the shower.

Improvements Forest River made:

The water pump relocated to make more cabinet space. And is on the opposite end of the trailer from the bedroom.
The slide out motor relocated to somewhere besides between the street side wheels, under the slide...now protected and out of the way...somewhere.
The "accordion" style bedroom door replaced by pocket door. Nice.

First mods I will make:

We have the table and chairs. The strap to hold the chairs in place lets them fall over, as there are no rugs on the legs for the strap to catch on. (You sort of have to see it to understand) I'm going to put small hooks on the chairs to hold the strap in place to see if that helps.

The water filter is behind a cabinet door that is screwed shut. (WHY?) That will get a knob and catch to make servicing the filter easy. Also will "shock mount" the water pump. Everybody does that.

Don't like:

The kitchen drawers are under the optional counter extention. I saw that one coming and bought the trailer anyway. The way the sink is arranged it's difficult to place a dish drainer on the counter to drain into the sink. No big deal. Pretty sort list, huh?

Boo-boos:

The kitchen table was mounted too close to the wall and the day/night shade will not come all the way down. Cordless screwdriver to the rescue. The laundry basket, when placed on the basement deck, doesn't like up with the laundry chute (hole?) I think that's a design issue. Prop up the end of the basket with something and move it closer to the compartment door and it works OK.

This is the only RV we will ever own (unless we manage to wear it out...not likely) and I think we really hit the ball out of the park on this one.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #2

Congrats Wade!!

Sounds like you LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
Site Team

Great review. Glad you're happy with it. This just goes to show you that doing your homework really pays off in a positive way.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:55 AM   #4

WE did not get the Concertoneet TV etc in our Vlite. We got Venturer TV and also DVD, CD and MP3 and statlite Radio. Why would they put two different units in a new model. WE are flagstaff is that the reason???

irv2.com National rally... Dundee, Ohio
June14-20, 2009
toshiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:21 AM   #5

Glad you like your new 8280SS. We have an older one. An 05. Sounds like they've made some real improvements in the newer models. I'd love to have a pocket door instead of the accordion style. We're happy with ours and haven't had any major problems with it. Had a black water valve that drained slow but they took care of it. Most of the little things I take care of myself.

Haven't seen a new 8280SS. Sounds like you also have the free standing table. Do they still have the big floor to ceiling windows in the slide by the table? My wife and I always walk around the campgrounds and look at all the different trailers and we haven't seen another trailer with windows like ours.
(Pic attached)

Here's a heads up for you and anyone with the rocker style overstuffed chairs that the 8280SS has. I weigh about 200 lbs and I was sitting on the front edge of the chair putting my shoes on. The base of the chair separated from the frame and put me on my nose. The base was attached to the frame with 6 large staples. The other chair had 8. Now there's 6 wood screws in each chair. Just thought I'd mention it.

Airaid
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:20 AM   #6
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Sounds like you also have the free standing table. Do they still have the big floor to ceiling windows in the slide by the table? My wife and I always walk around the campgrounds and look at all the different trailers and we haven't seen another trailer with windows like ours.
Your trailer is well optioned! The white interior and the big windows are options we declined. We ordered our pretty well basic, minimal carpet 'cause the wife wants to go to the beach a lot, free standing table 'cause we are both reasonably tall people and our knees touch when we are in the booth! And we went with the plain oak (or is it maple?) finish on the inside, no grand kids yet but when they get here I bet they'd leave a mark or two on that nice white finish. But seeing the inside of that pretty rig I understand why you fell in love with it.

I've got some pictures of ours in the photo gallery.

We still haven't found enough stuff to fill all those cabinets!

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #7

We love our 8280SS. In the last 2 years we have spent 8 months living in the trailer.
Patrick45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
280, rockwood