Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2016, 07:27 AM   #1

New 8301ws

Picked it up last Friday, after just going to "look" on the previous Monday. DW and I knew we wanted that floor plan but hadn't seen on in person since it is a new one. We were going to wait until the spring to get the new camper but it was there so we pulled the trigger. Having never pulled a fifth wheel before I was a bit nervous before leaving for the 2 1/2 drive home. I shouldn't have been. It tows unbelievably easy and backs into my tight home parking spot much easier than my 33' travel trailer ever had. The only downside is we have to wait to go camping until after Christmas. Our weekends are booked until then! See you on the road

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
akin2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:15 AM   #2

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your new 5th wheel.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 03:00 PM   #3

Congrats on the new camper, BIL! It sure is nice and we can't wait until we take that June trip to Colorado and Yellowstone. Here's to many happy camping journeys in the rears to come! 🏔⛺️🗻🏕🌄🏜
60 days camped in 2016; 19 day trip to Niagara Falls
9 days camped in 2017
GeauxCajuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:53 PM   #4

I am looking to buy this same 5th wheel and was wondering if you have anything to add to your original post like pros and cons or service issues.

Any info is appreciated.
NJLOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:22 PM   #5

Really enjoying the new fifth wheel. So far everything has functioned well. Having the rear bathroom and rear entrance is really nice. Although it appears that the rear grey tank may just hold about 18 gallons. It sounds small, but the only thing that drains into that tank (I believe) is the sink in the rear bath. The outside kitchen appears to empty into the middle grey tank along with the kitchen. The front grey and the middle grey are 45 gallons each. So, it is plenty of capacity overall. Being able to close the door on the bunkhouse is really nice for our 11 year old girl. We also have two AC units with the front bedroom having a heat strip. Since we are based in South Louisiana, having the second AC was a must. On our last camping trip, we had inside the camper GeauxCajuns, her husband and daughter, my wife, myself, daughter and a friend and we all fit in the living area quite comfortably. We have the king dinette option. At this time, my wife had cooked a chicken and sausage gumbo and baked a cake to make sure everything functioned as it should. Good design and a very well made camper. So far, so good. We love it.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:30 PM   #6

That's great to hear, question - is there one black tank or 2 and if so how does the black tank flush do in general?
Old 02-20-2017, 09:44 PM   #7

There are two black tanks. I haven't used the flush system yet, but I think it will only flush the front black tank. One con, I do note, is that for the rear bathroom, the black and grey dump outlets are separate. Normally you dump the black and then rinse with the grey. But.....you dump the black and have to disconnect the hose and attach it to a separate grey outlet, which is about six inches away?!!! So, I think FR could have designed this better and had one outlet for both.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:27 AM   #8

Thanks for the great information. If you think of anything else please pass it on especially if you have any tips or modifications you've done.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:08 AM   #9

akin2camp, I have a couple more questions if you don't mind. If there are 2 black tanks and only 1 has a flush - how do you clean the rear bathroom tank? How does the outside kitchen light turn on and off? Do the electronics come with a remote or do you have to download the App for your phone to remotely control these items?

Thanks for your time and I hope your rig is running fine.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:56 PM   #10

I haven't flushed the tanks yet. All the camping we have done have not been full hookups. We just dump the tanks when we leave. I will flush when I get to a full hookup site later this month.
The outside kitchen has one of those little light pucks you will find in other Rockwoods just push the middle and it lights up. It enough light for us. Most of the cooking my wife does is for breakfast and lunch.
As for the electronics there is a remote for the surround sound and tv. We didn't get one for the fireplace and we were wondering if we should have. We called the dealer about that, haven't heard back. The app will control the surround sound with your smartphone . The app will also control the electrical panel. My son connected my iPhone with the app to the panel and everything worked. You could control the slides the awning, see the levels in the tanks. Later I tried to get the app to work. No go. I guess I'll have my son fool with it. But there is no separate remote for the panel.
We got got back from a three day camping trip and we love the 45 gallon holding tanks on the two greys and the 45 gallon holding tanks on the blacks. We had 3 adults and one kid stay in the unit and there were a total of 7 showers and we hadn't filled up the grey tank. Of course these were quick camping showers though.
The only other "problem" is the Reese Revolution. It's not really a problem. But we have it unlocked so the hitch pivots. It is very tricky to hitch and unhitch. Keep in mind though this is our first fifth wheel and we just may be ignorant.
Any more question ask away. Who doesn't like talking about their camper. We love our new Rockwood
Old 03-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #11

Thanks for the reply, Is your truck a short bed and you have to use the Reese Revolution? And on the puck light you just push to turn on and off? I still haven't got my 5th yet thus all the questions.

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:03 PM   #12

Yes, my truck is a short bed. It is 6 foot 3 inches. I suppose i didn't have to unlock the Reese, but I did to give me a little more room around the cab in turns. On the light, you push the middle of the light and it turns on.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by akin2camp View Post
There are two black tanks. I haven't used the flush system yet, but I think it will only flush the front black tank. One con, I do note, is that for the rear bathroom, the black and grey dump outlets are separate. Normally you dump the black and then rinse with the grey. But.....you dump the black and have to disconnect the hose and attach it to a separate grey outlet, which is about six inches away?!!! So, I think FR could have designed this better and had one outlet for both.
I was looking at is model at one of are state camper/RV shows and talking to the Rockwood REP, he was telling me the run between the two black water tanks is to long thats the Con...
Kicken Asphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:00 AM   #14

akin2camp: When on the road, do you stow anything in the outside kitchen and if so does it bounce around much. Example: do you leave anything in the outside refrigerator and/or anything lying on the counter?

My rig is coming off the assembly line 4/7/17 and looking forward to getting it and putting it to the test.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:49 PM   #15

We don't store anything in the outside kitchen. Just cooking utensils and foam plates. The camper, when at home on the cement pad, is right next to the house and is usually not accessible. Nothing seems to bounce around too much. The torsion suspension does a pretty good job of smoothing out the tow.
Congratulations on the new camper! You will love it. We are in the process of prepping and planning for our three week trip to Yellowstone this summer.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:11 PM   #16

I was in Yellowstone last summer on an 82 day cross country trip with my soon to be traded Cherokee. We went coast to coast and lots in between. Yellowstone was a disappointment because the southern part of the park was on fire. Most of the wild life was spooked because of this so we didn't see much. I hope its better for your trip.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by akin2camp View Post
Yes, my truck is a short bed. It is 6 foot 3 inches. I suppose i didn't have to unlock the Reese, but I did to give me a little more room around the cab in turns. On the light, you push the middle of the light and it turns on.
Don & Marjo
is it true you are from Lafayette, LA?

I'm from lafayette/Abbeville.
I own an Rockwood 8289ws 5th.
Did you go with Gauthier, Primeaux or other?

I have 2 grey tanks & 1 black tank as i do not have a BunkHouse.
I have 1 grey & black tank on one outlet & galley grey tank on seperate outlet.
I may plumb them together. i currently have a "Y" but don't use it. :-()

There are many good Reese/Revolution operation videos on youtube.
It would really pay off to watch them multiple times to get acquainted.
Reese/Revolution hitch info below:

If there is anything i can help you with don't hesitate to Private Message me.
You bought a beautiful unit.

tommy & lisa

2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Pkg
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
tmfaulksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:12 AM   #18

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3587.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	134210
Here is picture of the rear dump valves I was referring to. The dump on the right is just black. The dump on the left is grey
Old 04-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #19

Mine is finally at the dealer and I pick it up this Friday. How sturdy is the bottom bunk when folded down? It almost looks like it should have some support against the floor. The 2018 model has some different features than the 2017 we looked at. The master bathroom cabinet under the sink can be used to store stuff and the bunk room entertainment center is a different design. Not sure about anything else, just looking forward to getting it and testing it out.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:43 PM   #20

The bottom bunk is pretty stout. It is aluminum framed. My wife steps on it to make the top bunk. Seems to be a non issue. I wish we had access to the under sink cabinet, but it is FULL of the electrical inverter stuff. The newer ones also have cabinets above the tv. We couldn't reach them if we had them anyway. I'm 5'4" and taller then my wife! Enjoy your new rig. We just got back a few hours ago from a weekend trip. Post pics!