Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2015, 12:43 PM   #1

New Dometic Refrigerator Noise

We just purchased a new 2015 Rockwood Signature 8327ss with a very nice Dometic Refrigerator. It makes an excessive noise when running!! Almost like a loud shrill. We have had many other campers with Dometic Refrigs and NO such noise. Does anyone have this same problem?? Have not taken it back to dealer as yet. It is so annoying, I plan on contacting both Forest River and Dometic!! fkwalter
fkwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:56 PM   #2

Ahoy,
Do you have a fridge in your slide ? If so Its a high RPM Joke of a cooling fan. We have a fridge in our slide out. search for mods with two low rpm fans.
In the meanwhile we remove top exterior fridge vent in fair weather and open awning to protect wall so heat can dissipate with vent off. Fan will stop running in minutes. Good luck! Let me know if that is the noise you are describing.
Your fridge will work better also :!)

2018 8329 SS Rockwood /260watts solar
Grn_Mtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:57 PM   #3

Our 8329 has a Dometic fridge in a slide, and the factory 92mm fans were horrible as well. They made a metallic sound while running, so I replaced them with much quieter 120mm 12V computer fans.
Here is a link to a new condenser baffle I made for better airflow, you can see the new fans in that thread as well and there is a link to the one's I used.

This was one of the first things I did to our TT as I couldn't stand the noise from the factory fans.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:51 PM   #4

I have a 3029w wind jammer and you are right the noise is horrible. I looked and mine has got 2 loud fans back there!
walljammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkwalter View Post
We just purchased a new 2015 Rockwood Signature 8327ss with a very nice Dometic Refrigerator. It makes an excessive noise when running!! Almost like a loud shrill. We have had many other campers with Dometic Refrigs and NO such noise. Does anyone have this same problem?? Have not taken it back to dealer as yet. It is so annoying, I plan on contacting both Forest River and Dometic!! fkwalter
We have a 2014 Flaggstaff, classic super lite fifth wheel. We purchased it new December 2014. We're having the same problem. The dealer insists this is normal. We disagree, as we have owned too many travel trailers that did not have this problem. We would love some help, as the dealer is not giving us any help. I keep telling our neighbors at the R.V. Parks this is "the new normal". We just have to live with it. ( It has been back to the dealer 3 times this past year with no help).
Ken Kreutzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:33 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Kreutzer View Post
We have a 2014 Flaggstaff, classic super lite fifth wheel. We purchased it new December 2014. We're having the same problem. The dealer insists this is normal. We disagree, as we have owned too many travel trailers that did not have this problem. We would love some help, as the dealer is not giving us any help. I keep telling our neighbors at the R.V. Parks this is "the new normal". We just have to live with it. ( It has been back to the dealer 3 times this past year with no help).
Bottom line, replace the factory fans with a pair of ball bearing computer fans and enjoy camping. Cost less than $25.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:13 AM   #7

Hello ...we are experiencing fan coming on and off ....had other Dometic fridges, don't recall it occurring on them ...also noticed that the fridge door does not vaccumm seal ...wondering if that is the reason the fan comes on..Thank you
Sam Rizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:03 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Rizzi View Post
Hello ...we are experiencing fan coming on and off ....had other Dometic fridges, don't recall it occurring on them ...also noticed that the fridge door does not vaccum seal ...wondering if that is the reason the fan comes on..Thank you
Are you sure it's the fridge fan?
Is your power center located near the fridge?
Fan noise might be coming from it.
Your fridge door shouldn't "vacuum " seal but your freezer door may or may not .
Cooling fans are something fairly new to camping fridges and it is possible you have one.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "6 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:46 AM   #9

I believe the fans are only used when your fridge is located in a slide and there is no roof vent to remove the heat passively. Our Windjammer is set up this way....SO they push air out the side of your slide with a very inefficient loud cheap noisy fan. Look for threads with a mod using better fans... Good luck!

2018 8329 SS Rockwood /260watts solar
Grn_Mtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:36 PM   #10

I ended up buying 5 new fans 92 mm and wiring them on a toggle switch when I see the fridge temp rise I turn them on. Now my factory noisy fans never come on now when my other five fans running. These are much quieter than the factory fans. I also added a longer baffle up to the fins to allow better cooling. Much happier now.
cfiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:47 PM   #11

C'mon people!!! Sounds like Dometic is going south on quality! This complaint is all too common! Why should we have to replace fans on new units????
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:59 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipnTerri View Post
C'mon people!!! Sounds like Dometic is going south on quality! This complaint is all too common! Why should we have to replace fans on new units????
To get better quality computer fans.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:02 PM   #13

No fair, no fair. I want it to work right!!
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:02 PM   #14

I agree. The signature ultra lites are in the Windjammer family and my fan sounded like a loud whine and would come on for a long time. This is to help move air across the coils and push it out when the temps rise enough to trip the thermistor mounted on the top cooling fins. The fan is located and mounted approx half way up the rear of the cabinet. Do yourself a favor and replace the fans with a quieter fan. I put four 12 v super quiet fans in and now you have to put your ear up to the outside cabinet I. Order to tell if they are running. I wired them through the thermistor so they will only come on when the temp rises to 125 degrees in the back. The combined current draw of the four fans is less than half of the factory fan which is 3 amps.
TST 507RV TPMS
Zolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:17 PM   #15

I am searching this forum because our Dometic Model RM2354 is so noisy that it is hard to hold conversations over the noise. We have a 2014 134 Palomino Palomini that we purchased new in March. We have only used the refrigerator a few times. I keep hoping it will get better! I end up putting a pillow on top of the fridge ledge in front of the microwave to quiet the fan noise. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:22 AM   #16

You will have to replace the factory dometic fans with some quieter 12v computer fans.

Go to the firstpost in this thread:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ad.php?t=75045

I describe making a new baffle for better airflow, but also have pics to show the fans I used. My fridge had 92mm fans but there was room for slower, quieter 120mm fans.

You want fans that move as much air as the factory one's. I used two of these:
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556091929.html
Old 07-19-2015, 08:12 AM   #17

Got rid of the noisy condenser fan a couple of weeks after taking delivery on our RV. Replaced it with 2 120mm ball bearing very quiet fans. Old fan put out 75 cfm. new fans put out a very quiet 44 cfm each. Also installed fans on the evaporator inside the fridg.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:33 AM   #18

Thank you.

We check the dB level and it's 80dB! Thanks for the information. I appreciate the help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
You will have to replace the factory dometic fans with some quieter 12v computer fans.

Go to the firstpost in this thread:
Refrigerator Baffle Airflow Mod - Forest River Forums

I describe making a new baffle for better airflow, but also have pics to show the fans I used. My fridge had 92mm fans but there was room for slower, quieter 120mm fans.

You want fans that move as much air as the factory one's. I used two of these:
Coolerguys Ultra Quiet 120mm dual ball bearing low speed fan 3 pin fan #CG12025L12B2-3Y
Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, refrigerator