Old 11-29-2015, 12:43 PM   #1

New Floor Plan 8291WS

Has anyone purchased the new floor plan rockwood 5th 8291ws? I ordered one sight unseen as it looks like it would work perfectly for my commercial embroidery machine and jewelry bench. I currently own a 2005 Rockwood 5th and I was ready for new.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:10 PM   #2

What do you think of this camper now? I just bought one picking it up Saturday.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:18 PM   #3

8291ws

I've had it for a year. This is my 3rd Rockwood in 17 years. I have always and continue to be impressed with the quality of construction in a light weight. I bought it sight unseen. I removed the folding doors as they are difficult to open. I will be replacing it with a light weight folding dividers. There is tons of storage and I absolutely love the outside kitchen. If you have looked at other rigs, you will find their outside kitchens are not as nice. The one thing I do not like is that there is only one nightstand. I sleep on the side that does not have one. The other rockwoods I have had seemed to have a little more walk around room in the bedroom, but it is manageable in the 8291. It pulls like a dream, although the revolution pin(hitch) was a challenge. Make sure you have the right wedge for your hitch. I recommend you look at other threads if you are not familiar with that type of pin.
I would be happy to answer any other questions you might have.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkelly View Post
I've had it for a year. This is my 3rd Rockwood in 17 years. I have always and continue to be impressed with the quality of construction in a light weight. I bought it sight unseen. I removed the folding doors as they are difficult to open. I will be replacing it with a light weight folding dividers. There is tons of storage and I absolutely love the outside kitchen. If you have looked at other rigs, you will find their outside kitchens are not as nice. The one thing I do not like is that there is only one nightstand. I sleep on the side that does not have one. The other rockwoods I have had seemed to have a little more walk around room in the bedroom, but it is manageable in the 8291. It pulls like a dream, although the revolution pin(hitch) was a challenge. Make sure you have the right wedge for your hitch. I recommend you look at other threads if you are not familiar with that type of pin.
I would be happy to answer any other questions you might have.
I just purchased a 8291WS 5th wheel, didn't pick it up yet. I was really wondering how long that back sliding door for the bunkhouse will last. Does the futon fold out with the door open.
The main selling point for me was the outdoor kitchen, who wouldn't like it, big refrig, a nice sink, and lots a room for making cocktails...
The revolution hitch is it different to get use to or is it the same as regular pin.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:18 PM   #5

Just picked ours up, I had a gooseneck adaptor put on mine
Old 03-11-2017, 03:19 PM   #6

The folding doors were a pain. They were difficult to open and close. I removed them as soon as I got it home. You can open the futon with the doors open.
The revolution hitch is completely different from a regular hitch. Your 5th will pivot at the base of the pin, directly under the front of the cap. Tell the dealer which hitch you have in your truck so the right wedge will come with it. Mine came with the wrong one. The wedge will attach to the front near the pin so that when you are hooked up it will pivot at the base of the pin not at the hitch. You will not be able to hitch up when your truck is at an angle to the 5th (which is what I hate about it). Get some spray lube and spray the heck out of the pin/wedge and the receiving edge of the hitch. It will make hooking up much easier.
There are threads on it in the forum with additional suggestions, but the spray lube has worked for me.
And yes, the outdoor kitchen is fabulous. Can't imagine having a rig without one now.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:23 PM   #7

Well I hope that solves the problem.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkelly View Post
Well I hope that solves the problem.
Thanks I'll let the dealer know what hitch I got before I go pick it up. And about that sliding door, will figure it out, could be way it was still on the dealers lot...
Old 07-27-2017, 04:59 PM   #9

Checking in on the 8291ws

Just checking to see how you like your new rig. Any problems?
Old 07-27-2017, 05:53 PM   #10

Camper is great, zero issues except a rumbling front A/C unit which isn't a camper issue. My boss bought a new camper right after I did. He's towed it less miles and has had warranty work done twice. He has trim fall off driving down the road.

If you've never had an outdoor kitchen it is the best option ever. All my friends that have campers say their next will have an outdoor kitchen as well.