Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2015, 06:19 AM   #41

I don t know if you have a surge protector and a water pressure protector that you use. Low voltage and reverse polarity occur a lot....we have one that gives volt/amp readout and is portable, that way you can see what each appliance is pulling....water pressure can be had with readout also, though I have never used one....the surge gard resets automatically so you don t have to go out in the rain.....low voltage is you biggest problem and damage is cumulative from that....good luck

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:29 AM   #42
MCTroy

Congrats, and good luck. I remember all the questions we had starting out. You will catch on quickly and things get much easier. On the propane question, you will know if the tank is getting empty if you smell something foul when you use the stove top or oven. The gas at the bottom of the tank has an odor added. The first time we smelled it, we thought the sewer was backed up. Nope, just running out of propane. Good luck!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:08 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Here's an easier way to think about it: We're going to do the higher math just once, then it's just a matter of addition.

Assuming your circuits are protected by 15 amp breakers:

15 amps x 110 volts = 1650 watts. This is the most your breaker will handle.

Now you can just add: Everything you want to run together on one circuit shouldn't add up to more than 1650 watts. (And I wouldn't go over about 1600 watts, just to keep some margin.)
And since you are new to all this, I suggest you go through your rig and write down the wattage every electronic gadget you own draws.

Put it on a cheat sheet and tape to your fridge-- now you will know that Hair Dryer + curling Iron is OK, but Hair Dryer + Space Heater is not OK
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:17 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2liv View Post
I don t know if you have a surge protector and a water pressure protector that you use. Low voltage and reverse polarity occur a lot....we have one that gives volt/amp readout and is portable, that way you can see what each appliance is pulling....water pressure can be had with readout also, though I have never used one....the surge gard resets automatically so you don t have to go out in the rain.....low voltage is you biggest problem and damage is cumulative from that....good luck
X2 - get the Progressive Industries EMS (If you plan on keeping your rig for several years, get the hardwired one):
http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-In...rogressive+ems

A water pressure regulator is ESSENTIAL! Get one that you can adjust and keep your water pressure at @ 55PSI for really nice showers
http://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Regul...water+pressure
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:35 AM   #45

If the camper comes with a 30 Amp line, is there any advantage to use an adapter and plug into a 50 amp circuit? I was under the assumption that if given the choice you would still use 30 amps because the additional 20 amps couldn't be used anyway. Could someone clear this up?
UltraV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:50 AM   #46

Quote:
If the camper comes with a 30 Amp line, is there any advantage to use an adapter and plug into a 50 amp circuit? I was under the assumption that if given the choice you would still use 30 amps because the additional 20 amps couldn't be used anyway. Could someone clear this up?
No advantage at all... I have the adapter from 30 to 50 in case the park pedestal 30 amp line is messed up I can plug into the 50. Yes, wasted amps. I cannot have 50 amps of appliances running just because I am plugged into 50 amp line.

The wiring in the camper would be totally different from a 50 amp camper then a 30 amp camper.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:00 AM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
No advantage at all... I have the adapter from 30 to 50 in case the park pedestal 30 amp line is messed up I can plug into the 50. Yes, wasted amps. I cannot have 50 amps of appliances running just because I am plugged into 50 amp line. I understand the 50 amp line is actually 2 separate 25 amp lines together in one plug, so that I can use up to 50 amps total IF my camper was setup with a 50 amp plug in the side. The wiring in the camper would be totally different then a 30 amp camper.
I sent you a PM about this often misunderstood 50 amp split phase service.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:16 AM   #48

Send a message via Skype™ to pontiacdan45
Our first RV was a Rockwood Ultra Lite 8289 5th wheel we purchased in 2014. I had no idea how to do anything, or even what I would need in addition to the RV to perform basic tasks like emptying the tanks (we have 3) or how to manage water and power and how to hitch and unhitch. Our first trip was a four day affair. During that time I read every scrap of paper the dealer provided. Included was a brief manual on the heat/AC water system and electrical. There is a owners manual online at the Forest River site. Between the owners manual and the information provided by the dealer, and this forum you can make it work. Good luck to you!

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289 ws
2015 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD Gas:
pontiacdan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:17 AM   #49

Quote:
I understand the 50 amp line is actually 2 separate 25 amp lines together in one plug, so that I can use up to 50 amps total IF my camper was setup with a 50 amp plug in the side.
Thx for the tutorial WMTIRE... I edited my original post to give correct information.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:48 AM   #50

Just a hint when it comes to your gauges. You will learn not to even look at them because they won't be telling you the truth. For your black water learn to look for a fair size bubble when you flush the toilet. It's an indication that the black water tank is getting close to being dumped. When it comes to the toilet, water is your friend, don't be frugal with it when flushing. Use toilet paper that is RV friendly. If you don't use enough water a poop mountain will form and you won't be able to dump. Don't ask me how I know. I use RV-Digest to eat everything in the tank, I put a cup full of laundry soap in the tank along with either liquid or solid Calgon to make the water slipperier.
I boondock a lot so I check my propane tanks every couple of days when the furnace is in use or as others have said, look into renting a 100lb or larger propane tank.
There are questions you haven't answered, such as, Are you actually using a 50 amp cord to provide electricity to your trailer? Do you have a hook up to dump on the premises you are on or do you have to transport the holding tanks fluids? Are you hooked up to potable water? All questions other people are asking as well. Good luck and have fun. It's always a learning experience, even to us old timers.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:59 AM   #51

With a 50 amp service you have quite a bit of power available. If you overload a circuit a breaker will trip. Try not to run heater on same circuit with microwave or toaster.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:01 AM   #52

Try to find a friend with some rv experience. Have them look over your situation and help you learn.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:20 PM   #53

I would highly suggest finding a friend who is savvy in all of these things, invite them up to spend the weekend with you and then have them show you all they know. I am more of a hands on show me once then I can do it kind of guy. Sounds like you may be too. In any event, it will give you some company, maybe cost you some adult beverages, and a couple of steaks. In the end you will have plenty of stories to share with others. And you will get all of your questions answered. By the way, where is your semi-private pad located?

In any event, have fun.

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:18 PM   #54

As you can see I have posted a few web site that will give you some help and direction, as was stated above you will need a good amount of help to get you up to speed of own a RV full-timing it also.
So good luck I hope that some of this will help and give you some ideas of question you might run into in the future. Happy Camping
www.goodsamclub.com/
blog.koa.com/
rveducation101.com/
www.rvia.org/
rvtravel.com/]
Good Sam Club
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river