Old 04-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
New Member with bed size discussion issues...

Greetings from Alaska. We are considering buying a FR Rockwood TT. Probably will order new, but might buy used if we can find what we want. Were looking for 30-35footer, twin chairs on the well windowed living end with bath next to the bedroom. The Windjammer 3001W has floated to the top of our current list. My adorable life partner and best friend INSISTS on a king bed. Try as I might to inform her that in the 30-35ft class a king will be next to impossible, she hasn’t budged on the issue. I called the FS factory rep and spoke with them about the issue. Our thinking was to remove the nightstands and have the bed frame customized to a king on some of Rockwood models we have been looking at. Turns out there is plumbing and wiring under the nightstands. That solution is not a solution. He suggested the 3001W as the bed is in a slide and the nightstands could be removed. My concern is that a person would be unable to actually walk into the bedroom as the bed would come all the way to the wall at the bedroom entrance door. Anyone have a thought on that possibility?
Anyone else gone through the bed size “discussions” with their partner? Any magic bed mods (number system beds, temperwhaterever mattress) that might solve our (her) concerns?
Also…. On most of these models I’m making a guess that when the dinette/sofa slide is retracted a person would NOT be able to get to the refrigerator on a road trip (lunch cold drinks etc). Is that true?
We are leaning very heavily toward the Rockwood line after a few months of gathering info. We still plan on doing a RV show or two to walk through as many models as we can and take notes before we start shopping for a dealer. Thanks for any help here.

2002 GMC 6L 2500HD Duramax
Searching for the perfect 30-35ft TT
UpinAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:15 AM   #2
First off, to FRF. It sounds like you Are looking for a rear lounge model, is that correct? If so I have an 8314ss. It has two chairs at the back window, I do not have dinette table that converts to a bed i have a table and four chairs, in order to get to the bed room you have to walk though the bath room which has a garden tub and shower. As far as the bed go's we removed the mattress that came with the camper (rv queen) and installed a standard queen, I had to extend the bed platform to accommodate the mattress, too much over hang and it puts the mattress about 6" from the wall at the end of the bed. If we had to do it all over again and now it is available I would get the 8314bss, it is the same floor plan but the bed slides out. As far as the bed size I think it only comes with a queen. This camper is approx 33' from coupler to bumper. Good luck with your investigation and your final decision

rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
Now a "Top Member"
Welcome. A king bed in any TT is going to be very hard to find. I'm not sure why. In a 5th wheel with the same space (normally with a bedroom slide), king beds are more common. Not sure why they don't put 'em in a TT. Anyway, if you do something like mod a queen, you will have to be careful about the weight it will add to the tongue. You might want to consider looking into a 5th wheel so you can forego any of that. Just find one with similar layout, and make sure it has the king bed.
Ed and Sharon
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS
2011 Ford F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote

bed, rockwood