Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2016, 08:43 PM   #1

New mini lite finally came in!

I finally got my 2016 Rockwood mini lite 2306! I ordered it March 7. I really did not care for the PDI they would not let me record anything they wouldn't show me the water pump wouldn't plug it in shore power we couldn't try any functions such as water gas AC entertainment kit I was irritated. But I read enough on here so I should be fine I have you guys. I am towing with a 2012 Chevy traverse yah it struggles a bit constantly in the 3k RPM but it should work. i have a wdh and I will be installing airbags in the back suspension Friday so that will help a bit Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1463622048.718693.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	108285

2016 mini lite 2306
2012 Chevy traverse
Locchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:49 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum from Chagrin Falls, Ohio. Also, save your money from the air bags on your Traverse, you need a truck.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:52 PM   #3

I can't buy a truck I am stuck with my traverse. Plus I have six people they arnt fitting in the pickup I went to Chevy traverse forum there are tons of people towing campers heavier than me doing fine. I have a towing package with tranny cooler etc wdh air bags I should be fine it towed fine yah I don't need to go faster than 65

2016 mini lite 2306
2012 Chevy traverse
Old 05-18-2016, 09:05 PM   #4

Congratulations on your new mini! I have to ask where did you buy it and why wouldn't they do a proper walk through?
KathyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:06 PM   #5
Site Team

Congrats on your new toy.

I would have walked away if the dealer would not plug the unit in and demonstrate everything.

I recommend you figure out how to upgrade your tow vehicle especially since it appears you are carrying six passengers in the TV. Air bags will improve the ride, but do nothing to improve the load capacity.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:39 PM   #6

I am under all tow limits I have calculated everything as well as had a friend who is a mechanical engineer calculate everything I am within all towing specifications of the vehicle with all of us in the tv

2016 mini lite 2306
2012 Chevy traverse
Old 05-18-2016, 09:43 PM   #7

I bought it from seven o rd way in Cicero ny because there was not a tech available just the sales rep who did not know much where things were also trailer was far from a building to hook up yah I was mad but also really just wanted to buy this but I was also having a bad day because on the way there I got a flat tire and needed a new tire. I should have left and told them to stuff it but I also made a mistake and signed papers first so I was stuck

2016 mini lite 2306
2012 Chevy traverse
Old 05-18-2016, 10:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locchamp View Post
I am under all tow limits I have calculated everything as well as had a friend who is a mechanical engineer calculate everything I am within all towing specifications of the vehicle with all of us in the tv

2016 mini lite 2306
2012 Chevy traverse
If you're putting 6 people in that Traverse, you're really pushing your payload.

My Traverse says payload is 1598 lbs. Dry tongue weight of the 2306 is 430 lbs, leaving you with 1168 lbs. Since I'm sure you're not really at dry weight (I'm guessing you're loading everything you can into the TT if you're putting 6 people in the Traverse), lets say your tongue weight is really 430+150=580 lbs. Now your payload is down to 1018 lbs. Most people assume a WDH is 100 lbs. Now you're down to 918 lbs. That leaves you about 150 lbs/person.

I pulled my Roo 19 with my Traverse one season with just DW and I, here in the flat midwest. I wasn't happy. Good luck.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:17 AM   #9
KnP

Do not feel bad... I am towing with a Pontiac G8 GT and a Chevy Colorado with a V6. The Pontiac can tow 4,620 Lbs and has a 6.0L V8, the Colorado with the V6 has a capacity of 7,000 Lbs. One vehicle has the guts one the higher towing capacity. Honestly, pulling the 2306 TT they do just fine.

The biggest issue is wind resistance. Due to the nature of both of my vehicles lower profile the trailer acts like an air brake on an aircraft.

I will guess... if you keep under 65MPH you will see that will do just fine.

Engine size does not matter as long they can deliver the power; today's engines are quiet poweful. 20 years ago, a 350 Cu In GM motor was rated to about 200 HPs; now days, even a 4 Cly has the power. The rest, is upto the drivetrain if can take the load.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:35 AM   #10

Enjoy the camper. We are enjoying our 4th season in our 23lb, the sister to your 2306.

In regards to towing, you will be fine. We towed with an i6 GMC envoy and it did ok. We upgrade TV twice as we wanted to go longer distances and planning to upgrade the trailer at some point.

Enjoy.

2012 Ford F-150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2012 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23lb

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #11

So as stated dealer did a crappy PDI they didn't install the water filter so do I really need to before I run water or will it leak? I plan on getting an external one anyway. And if I do install it how do you and where? Where is the bypass valves?

2016 mini lite 2306
2012 Chevy traverse
Old 05-19-2016, 08:17 AM   #12

We love our mini lite (2504S). Your pdi walk through seems a bit strange to me. Our dealer recommended we video record as much as we could so that we could use the videos in the future because we had never owned an RV before. They had it plugged in with the A/C running. They demonstrated all of the water aspects on city water, as well as using the water pump from the fresh tank. Showed us the by pass valves, etc. Demonstrated lighting the oven pilot, and how the water heater worked and the slides and lights and pretty much everything else. They set up our wdh, explained how it worked, etc. We were very very pleased, especially since they are 4 hours away, so it wouldn't have been convenient to go back if there was a problem.

With the size of the wheels on the mini lites, and more experienced campers can correct me if I am wrong, you aren't going to want to go "fast" towing. I believe they are rated for 60 mph. The faster you go, the faster they turn and produce heat, etc. We try to keep it at 62 mph. Plus, the rumor is that the factory isn't necessarily the best at packing the bearings and everything, which is another reason to limit the speed. Good luck

Old 05-19-2016, 09:45 AM   #13
KnP

Those tires are rated to 75 MPH according to the tire's sidewall. Pushed my 2306 to 80MPH few times; nothing happen. I hung around 65 to 70 most of the time.

There are a pre-flight and post-flight checks. Not as rigorous as an airplane but doing a 360 deg check before leaving and arriving is a good idea. One of the checks is to check the lug nuts. Before going on a trip, check their are tight. I have a Torque Wrench and carry it with me; 100 Ft/Lbs is the torque. If not use German Torque "Gutt-n-tite", use common sense.

On the water, use an RV hose. A garden hose will work too but the material leaves an awful teste and oddor. Check the reat bumper covers often; one of mine flew off. The drain hose is in there; I suggest Rhino Flex, great hose. Get the 90 deg elbow for the drain; is threaded too, some campgrounds have a threaded pipe head, do not overtight.

Electric, a search protector will do just fine. Progressive Industry makes a great one.

Water Filter. Looking from the back, is on the left rear compartment. The brown bag that FR gave you has a a White Round plastic wrench. That is for the Filter Housing, is a bit hard to twist. No filter, no problem.... Walmart sells an inline RV filter that attaches to the RV water supply hose from the campground; runs at about $20. On mine I have that filter and the RV too. Remember to remove when winterizing.

The left rear black metal door. Is the water heater, there is a small black switch. That is for the electric heating element, make sure is ON with Water IN; never run the heater empty. OFF when leaving, ON when hooked to water system and PURGE the lines from all air before turning the water heater. The Heater Switches are by the entrance top left black panel. One for Propane, One for Electric. You can run both if you want hot water quick but Electric is just fine to keep on all the time.

Refrigirator... Runs on Propane and AC Power, NOT DC. Uses DC to ignite the propane. You can turn the propane on and drive. The Fridge will start to get cold and works pretty darn good; after 8 hrs I was making an ice tray.

Awning... the Dometic instructions are pretty clear, read them.

Leave Sweage Close and Dump when full or 2/3 full, or once a day depending how much you use it. You can use the flush port on the rear of the camper to add water and flush it. Never leave it open 24/7 all it does is drains the liquid, leaves the solids behind.

Propane. One open tank only and keep using until is empty; that way, you know that is half way and is time to refill 1 tank (instead of 2). You can leave both on, unless you keep checking periodicaly. The valve will allow to empty both tanks without a warning. Turning the valve knob will only show which tank is on the red; does not allow flow selection, that is an automatic function. Sucks to run out in the middle of the night when you need heating.

That is all I can think for now.... sorry the dealer dropped the ball and no walk around. Here is my quick walk around.

Feel free to ask me, I have a 2306 like you.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:52 AM   #14

Well done knp

2012 Ford F-150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2012 Micro Lite 23lb

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:53 AM   #15

Thanks guys! I am going to sanitize the fresh tank tonight I assume to do so I should bypass the hot water heater? How do I do it what do u recommend?

2016 mini lite 2306
2012 Chevy traverse
Old 05-19-2016, 11:09 AM   #16
KnP

Forgot few more things....

There is a metal lanyard by the safety chains. That lanyard is the Emergency Brake Activation Switch. If TT comes unhooked the electric braking system will be energized by the TT battery. That way the TT will engages the brake. Why I am pointing this out? The switch is a simple plug the lanyard is tied to. The problem is... if you pull it by accident, the amount of electricity is so great that will melt the switch. Does not happens in seconds but have not waited long enough to find out either. The dealer told me, if you pull it, push it back in, just like a key (do not turn though). As a safety, all electric shut off while hooking the TT and double check the installation. The very last is the electric plug and the Battery Switch.

The Battery Switch is a Red Key located underneath the left propane tank (looking from the TT rear). It has a lanyard too; make sure is switched OFF when the TT is unused. The propane detector will drain the battery slowly and the fridge if is on trying to ignite. When traveling; switch to ON to charge the battery with the TV and when shore power is used it will charge it for you.

Remember, when TT is not in use. Propane and Battery OFF. Traveling and Shore Power; Battery ON, Propane is up to you to switch on.

Remember.... for Electric; connect last; disconnect first.

I bet your TT came with the rear view cam mount. I have the camera and is not cheap. To me is worth it and is one single payment cheap insurance. If you decide to buy one, is very easy to install, pretty much plug and play. The trick to turn on... you need to turn the TV position lights on; is wired that way to power the camera.

Have not used the grill yet, have not found a campground yet without a charcoal grill. Anyway, the hose is by the entry door. Is a round cover with a quick disconnect, very easy to figure out. You have 2 options; attach on the side of the camper or sit it on the ground, your choice. But if offered a charcoal grill, use that one and keep the TT grill clean.

The stove has a clicker on one of the knobs. Turn the clicker and open the propane. Might not work right away, could be air in the lines. Keep at it until the propane purges out the air; after that, it works pretty quick. Get a BBQ lighter, can be used for the outside grill and the oven. The oven has a pilot light. Is a bit cumbersome the 1st time, once you learn how, is pretty easy. Turn the knob to Pilot and use the lighter to light it up and see for yourself that is on. Should be a very small flame. Do it if you want to use the oven; if not, why bother, leave it off, save gas. When using the oven; on top of the stove, towards the wall by the window, there is a vent. Do not cover it, that is for the oven. If you place some there might burn up. Me, learned the hard way with a Topperware, got pretty soft !
Old 05-19-2016, 11:18 AM   #17
KnP

Quote:
Thanks guys! I am going to sanitize the fresh tank tonight I assume to do so I should bypass the hot water heater? How do I do it what do u recommend?
I think the FR instructions tells you how. The tank sanitation is not required to bypass anything. However, if the campground has water is not required. I have not used mine yet. Is a good idea to sanitize just to keep it clean. Is only used when Dry Docking/Boondocking. Regular campgrounds with sweage and water, not need to, use what the water company supply. If you feel like not drinkng even after filtering, buy a case of drinking water of your choice.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:00 PM   #18

We have a 2016 2304 mini lite which we tow with a 2016 Nissan Pathfinder. They get along pretty well, though we haven't tried mountain climbing yet. Also added the air bags which helps with leveling the rear suspension.
But I do think you might be pushing beyond the limits with the 2306, as that is a heavier unit.
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:44 PM   #19

Quote:
I can't buy a truck I am stuck with my traverse. Plus I have six people they arnt fitting in the pickup I went to Chevy traverse forum there are tons of people towing campers heavier than me doing fine. I have a towing package with tranny cooler etc wdh air bags I should be fine it towed fine yah I don't need to go faster than 65

2016 mini lite 2306
2012 Chevy traverse
I wish you the best towing it with your Traverse but I don't think you will be happy with it. You may be OK on flat roads with no wind but unfortunately that doesn't happen much in real world towing. I have a trailer with similar weight and tow with a tundra 5.7 v8 and believe me I don't feel I have to much truck. We just returned home from a two week trip and faced a wicked head wind in Missouri and believe me I was wishing I had a diesel truck. Empty vs. Loaded makes a big difference also. Just my 2c.
danc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:29 PM   #20
KnP

Cracks me up... is kind of a Top Gear episode.

The 2016 Chevy Colorado comes 2.8 L 4 Cly Duramax Turbo Diesel and 3.6L V6 Direct Injection DOHC 4 Valve. About 180 HP on Diesel and 300+ HP on the gasser. Diesel over 300 FT/Lbs and V6 about 290 Ft/Lbs torque. The Diesel chug along with low RPM torque the V6 finds its mojo at 3 Grands. Driving characteristics about the same.

No offense to the Toyo guys but I passed a Tundra with similar trailer with a measly V6 on a mid sized truck.

Is not the size of the engine that matters is what kind of power it can deliver.

If I drive the Traverse.... if a full size truck with a big and powerful motor can go 75 MPH and tear up the road; I might drop to 55 MPH and take it easy and steady. As long the transmission stays on one gear, engine in its powerband, easy does it.

Back in the days... Jeeps were light, low power motors that climbed like goats; they did it slowly.