Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #1

Thumbs up New Owner Questions

Hey we're rookie TT owners so please bear with me if my questions seem "dumb"!!!

We just bought a 2011 Rockwood UL 2902SS from a friend, and everything looks to be in good shape. We were aware of a problem with the Genesis 3.0 sound system prior to buying the trailer. It doesnt always turn on either by power button or remote...we would have to aggressively push the button to get it to power on and then leave it on. Well now it wont turn on at all, and have tried taking it out and looking for the power source maybe to reset it etc.. has anyone had similar issues with the Genesis system? Are they repairable or do we need to look at replacing?? I kknow theyre $600 new, is there a cheaper alternative thats more reliable?? When it worked it seemed to work great!!

Another question, on a 2011 trailer that was used 8-10 times locally here in the Denver area should i be concerned about replacing/repacking the bearings and/or brakes already.

Anyone out there familar with the built-in trailer controller on a GMC 2500HD and where the gain should be set?? I have a 2014 2500HD/Duramax.
Thanks in advance
Jeff1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:40 PM   #2

Will answer what I can.
For the Genesis, I have no idea.
As for the bearings, I would get them repacked and just have the piece of mind they are done now. I did it for mine. I twas less than a year old, but the manufacturer puts so little grease in there, get them done. You will be good for 5K miles or more then.
I have a 2013 chevy 3/4 ton with the integrated brake controller. For my 25 foot cruise like, I have my gain set at 3.0.
What I did was get on a BIG hill. then adjust the gain so I could hold the trailer.
That came out at 3.0 on the controller
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
Site Team

First - welcome to the forums! x2 on getting the bearings repacked. Sorry but I not able to provide answers to the other questions.

Happy Camping!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #4

Congrats on your new trailer. Their is a procedure to follow when adjusting the brake controller. Drive the truck with trailer attached for approx 3 to 5 miles. This time is used to warm up the brakes. Set the controller on 3.0 for this Warm up period. once warmed up tow trailer at 25 MPH and us the manual brake control on the controller and push it all the way to the plus+ side , activating the trailer brakes only you will feel the brakes grab. Increase the amount of voltage until the trailer brakes lock up. Then back the voltage off approx .5 volts And try again. If the brakes do not lock up then this is your proper voltage gain setting. If you do not adjust the controller properly you will overheat your truck brakes and cause some damage to them and place yourself in a situation you do not want to be in. There are several videos on this procedure on the web and you tube. Happy camping.....

2013 310BHDS 'Coachman Freedom Express, Liberty Edition
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:40 PM   #5

Concerning your Genesis, my guess is that it would be easier and cheaper in the long run to just replace it. It is probably going to be pretty hard to find somewhere that can repair it. For a replacement, you don't have to go with a Genesis. There are much cheaper units available. You can Google search or look on eBay for RV entertainment systems.

Before we traded our TT in this past winter we were thinking of replacing the entertainment system. I was thinking of getting a car stereo for the radio and CD player and a separate DVD player for movies. You can get a real nice car stereo for less than $200 and an individual DVD player for less than $50. It would take some modification of the hole that the old unit came out of, but with a little thought and work, it could look really nice.
rburns4147 is offline   Reply With Quote