Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
Arn
Arn

New problem every trip is getting frustrating...

2010 2604 is great but is becoming a pain. Pilot light on stove didn't work, shower stall leaked, water pump switch light quit working, kitchen faucet dripped, etc, etc. Nothing major, nothing that is Rockwood's fault but it all adds up to a lot of inconvenience & frustration. Dealer has been great but it's over an hours haul & $20 of fuel to get there every time. Now my toilet leaks. It is at the top just before the flush valve & seems to leak when forward pressure is put on the toilet. Is there anything in there that I can tighten or replace or are these things a one piece unit?
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #2

Mine had the same problem except it only leaked when the hot water heater was on. After mopping the floor many times, I narrowed it to one thing, "heated water caused pressure in the lines and the achilles was at the toilet connection." The fix was an easy one and I hope you are so gifted. The plastic nut that holds the line to the toilet (the one impossible to see without a mirror) needed tightening. Good luck.
Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
Arn
Arn

Thanks. Out comes the old swiveling extension mirror.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn View Post
2010 2604 is great but is becoming a pain. Pilot light on stove didn't work, shower stall leaked, water pump switch light quit working, kitchen faucet dripped, etc, etc. Nothing major, nothing that is Rockwood's fault but it all adds up to a lot of inconvenience & frustration. Dealer has been great but it's over an hours haul & $20 of fuel to get there every time. Now my toilet leaks. It is at the top just before the flush valve & seems to leak when forward pressure is put on the toilet. Is there anything in there that I can tighten or replace or are these things a one piece unit?
I know it's hard but hang in there. I usually have 3 or 4 problems each time I camp and I've had my trailer for 19 months now. It's been in the shop about 4 of those months. Some I can fix and some have to go back to the dealer for repair.

The last time I had a bearing going out in the AC so I made a list of everything I could find wrong. Ended up with 14 items, some very minor but if I was going to have to take it in, might as well have them fixed as well. All under warranty. This was only the second time out in the tt after getting both sidewalls replaced because of delamination.

Very frustrating. My wife and I are currently looking at new trailers.

Good Luck!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:18 PM   #5

Carry a small assortment of tools and fix things when you see them. Remember this is not a stick house, this is a mobile home. Things come apart going down the road. It happens to everyone. Either learn to be a good jack of all trades and fix them yourself or be prepared to pay a lot of money to repair shops for as long as you own an RV. That is just a fact of life.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #6
Arn
Arn

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
Carry a small assortment of tools and fix things when you see them. Remember this is not a stick house, this is a mobile home. Things come apart going down the road. It happens to everyone. Either learn to be a good jack of all trades and fix them yourself or be prepared to pay a lot of money to repair shops for as long as you own an RV. That is just a fact of life.
I do carry tools. I do repairs. I know these things rattle & shake. Point was, I'm tired of going back to the dealer to get him to do his job under warranty. Point was, I did repairs on all previous trailers & plan on doing them on this one too, once the warranty expires.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:28 PM   #7

It sure does make one wonder about the quality of these new units. Before I ordered my new Flagstaff, I had a 1995 Cobra Sunrise, and simply never had any problems with it. But it was a very expensive 5er at the time, and they did go out of business, probably spent too much building them!
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #8

lucky

I work construction and use our 2006 Rockwood 2603 when I'm out of town on jobs plus when my wife and I go on vacations. Needless to say it has been well used. We've been extremely fortunate with this camper with the only problem being a small leak that developed last year and was solved by resealing the roof. As many miles as we have put on it it really amazes me that more hasn't gone wrong. PS- Will knock on wood that our good luck continues.
MissouriCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriCamper View Post
I work construction and use our 2006 Rockwood 2603 when I'm out of town on jobs plus when my wife and I go on vacations. Needless to say it has been well used. We've been extremely fortunate with this camper with the only problem being a small leak that developed last year and was solved by resealing the roof. As many miles as we have put on it it really amazes me that more hasn't gone wrong. PS- Will knock on wood that our good luck continues.
That's great. I believe that there are way more trailers like your's than the ones like the OP's or mine. It just seems like either you get a good one or you get a really bad one. Not much in-between. I call it the plane crash syndrome. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does....
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
Arn
Arn

Just back from another long weekend, more problems. Black tank valve leaks AGAIN, front hitch light quit working & a shelf in the lower cupboard fell apart. Rockwood brags about glued & screwed cabinets. The only thing screwed here is me because this cupboard was held together with staples. I've grown very tired of being nice when I call the dealer. I sure hope somebody piddles in my Corn Flakes tomorrow so I can take it out on the dealer. Why do they build trailers on Mondays & Fridays?
Old 09-13-2010, 12:01 AM   #11

I agree! We have our new 2011 Rockwood 2604 out for its first long trip - 6 weeks to Canada and points northwest. It's been raining today and we now have a leak thru the A/C vent. The toilet leaks out the top ( a "known" valve issue-need to replace valve when we get back); kitchen sink leaks; refrige fan was VERY noisy; the water heater was burned out when we got it; slide blows a fuse bringing it in; oven pilot light would not light (another common problem) - just one thing after another. We love the set up of the trailer, but all the "issues" take the fun out of the trip. We had a 2006 Frontier by KZ before this and never had one problem with anything...
vsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #12

Quote:
I do carry tools. I do repairs. I know these things rattle & shake. Point was, I'm tired of going back to the dealer to get him to do his job under warranty. Point was, I did repairs on all previous trailers & plan on doing them on this one too, once the warranty expires.
I feel your frustration. We've had a number of RV's and before a number of boats. More things go wrong with RV then boats. I've got use to fixing all I can. But I do get tired of hearing from the dealer that its like driving your house down the road, things fall apart. The point I tell them is my house is not designed to drive down the road, but my RV is why not design them in the first place to handle the road.
Reese 18K hitch - Garmin 1690 GPS
2008 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Long Box, Smartair
Nights camped in 2011: 120
Traveler II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #13

Quote:
my friend had problems with his new camper and the dealer was hour and half away. he found and closer dealer who would accept the warranty work,so he only has to take it about half hour away. you need to search your home area to see if some other rv place will accept the warranty work. good luck
torroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #14
Wanna Be Camper

Don't think this type of thing is only RV's, our truck has been in for warranty repairs 43 times in 25 months and is still breaking after the warranty expired. I wish you well and hopefully you will be over the hump with your trailer soon and have many years of trouble free RVing.. We have had a few minor things Knock On Wood but it has been pretty good so far.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #15

We have a 2011 2902SS rockwood and we are still on the road. I could talk about the issues that have gone wrong but I would be writing a 10 page post! I have fixed most everything but when I get back this October its going to the dealer for a few issues I don't want to deal with. Good luck with yours, this is our last Forest River piece of junk.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #16
Arn
Arn

It goes to the dealer Saturday & they will fix everything I need done while I wait. They are basically giving me one of their tech's for a couple of hours. Once out of warranty I'll do most of the work myself. Anything I can't do will go to a great shop 25 minutes away. I can't say enough good about my dealer, it's just the frustration with this unit. Once all is done I'm sure I'll be happy as I love the floorplan & I love whatever works in the trailer when it works. Two more trips booked including a week after Canadian Thanksgiving, & hopefully a couple of weekends dropped in & then my baby goes to bed for a long nap. Winters are darn cold in eastern Ontario. Happy camping!

Arn
Old 09-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #17
Arn
Arn

And now the furnace doesn't work. Hope it's just a nest of some sort. That was the last trip before the warranty expires Oct 6. A total of 20 items to be fixed between the dealer & me. We go for a week in Eastern Ontario after Canadian Thanksgiving so this one needs to be fixed soon. Every... single... trip...
Old 09-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #18
Arn
Arn

Make that 21 problems. Last trip the Concertone DVD had trouble reading some DVD's. Same thing this weekend. Now I know how Charlie Brown feels.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #19

Hang in there ARN!!! Check the warranty on the furnace itself as many of the manufactureres have longer warranties than the 1 year on the rig itself. I would also contact the furnace maker and ask them what they intend to do if the dealer fails to fix the problem.

For what it's worth I had a furnace one time that was a huge PITA, I replaced everything in that sucker (out of warranty) until I gave up and replaced it. New one worked great
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:22 PM   #20

Dang Arn, yours must have been built Friday before a holiday or after one and everyone was still drunk from the weekend. Hang in there. Overall most units are generally trouble free. Maybe they put all the bad parts in yours.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood