Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2016, 06:43 PM   #1

New Rockwood 2109s Owners - Our First Week on the Road

Hello Y'all,
Twelve days ago my wife and I drove for two days from the west coast to arrive in Texas and purchase our first RV, a Rockwood Mini Lite 21fbrs. After a few months of reading as much information as I could, trying to determine what model would suit our needs the best, provide the best comfort and features, was a good value, AND, could reasonably be towed with our Tacoma (crew cab V6 w/ tow pkg), I chose the 21fbrs.
As soon as the dealer connected the unit to our truck, along with an equalizer hitch, we headed for the Colorado mountains for our first ever RV camping experience, the first of several stops as we planned to travel on to Wyoming, Montana and Idaho.
Upon arrival at the first site, my wife opened the refer door only to have the optional wood panel door insert come sliding down like a guillotine right in front of her feet, breaking the bottom of the thin plywood that holds it in place. I searched the issue on this site and found the problem and solution existed in 2011!!! I did a bandaid fix on it for now and I shim the bottom of the door with wood wedges each time we break camp. I'll do a permanent fix when we get home. This could have easily injured her feet, or damaged the floor or electrical panel below, costing the manufacturer WAY more than simply installing it correctly the first time. Rockwood, you can do better than this!
A few questions::
Slide Lock Bar - when the dealer's "Prep Man" instructed me how to operate the various features on the trailer, he showed me the slide lock bar and stated that it isn't necessary because the slide is very small. He basically encouraged me not to use it. My immediate thought was, does this guy really know what's needed better than the mfr? So after leaving the dealer I stopped and installed it a few blocks away. As you know, it is supposed to be installed on top of the slide between the outer wall and the slide's crown molding for travel. When I installed per the instructions, it came out of position and ended up sliding and bouncing around while on the road. IMO, the crown molding is not strong enough for this purpose, hence the warning from the mfr to not "over tighten" the lock bar. It would also make for an extremely bad day (read horror) if you forgot to remove it before extending the slide. I believe that if I tighten it enough to stay in place, it will damage the crown molding over time, loosen its connection points. My slide lock bar now resides near the firewood in the bed of my truck. I'm interested in reading other 21fbrs owner's experience with the slide lock bar?

The Prep Man also advised me that I should not drive very far with the fresh water tank full, and that due to the straps holding the tank in place I should only fill it 1/3 for travel purposes. Due to the tongue weight limit of 650 lbs for my current TV, I'm already maxed out with full propane bottles and minimal gear in the front storage (I store heavy gear in the truck bed, in front of the rear axle). So at this time I drive with all tanks empty, not ideal at all for stopping in the evening to dry camp for a night. If it turns out that we really like RVing, (so far it's great), I'll get a larger TV and will then of course want to carry at least some water in the tank(s). I like to hear other owners experience regarding the quantity of water you carry, for how many miles, and any problems you have had?
At this moment we're relaxing in Grand Tetons NP and sipping an ice cold water melon smoothie (yes, we brought our blender), after a day of hiking and fishing. Despite the minor issues mentioned above, I love our new home on wheels.
High Plains Drifters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:55 PM   #2

I have a 2503S, not a 21FBRS, but mine did not come with a slider lock bar, even though it has stickers for it. I haven't missed it.

Haven't had a problem with the fridge door (yet).

Some of the Roo/Shamrock (hybrid) folks have had problems with their fresh water tanks falling out or almost falling out. I've looked at mine and so far it seems to be pretty well attached. You might want to crawl under and scope it out. You could add some extra supports and stiffeners if you think you need to. Here's one of several posts, with one guy's solution:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ut-108183.html

For some reason, Mr. Havercamps pics aren't showing.

Here's another thread. Post 11 is a guy with your camper (Model year 2014) saying he had his supports beefed up.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-108043-2.html

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:16 PM   #3
Site Team

I have a 2007 Rockwood Roo and almost always travel with a full tank of water.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:06 PM   #4

We have a 2013 Rockwood 2109s, which is almost identical to the 21FBRS. Our refrigerator door also slid down on our first trip, just missing my wife's toes! The slide motor also pulled loose on that trip. Both problems were fixed under warranty. We have towed 20,000 miles since then, including to Alaska and back, with no issues. We were also warned about the fresh water tank brackets and don't usually drive with more than 1/3rd tank (There are some posts on this forum about this). However, we have filled the fresh water before going into a boondock campground and then driven as far as maybe 100 miles on those occasions with a full tank, with no issues. We never use the slide out bar and have traveled some pretty rough roads with no problem. We love this trailer! It is the perfect size -- big enough to have all the amenities and small enough to get into some great camping spots. Plus, as you noted, you don't need a big tow vehicle to handle this trailer. There are many posts on great mods people have made to this trailer. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we have!
Old 08-21-2016, 10:19 PM   #5

@Rockfordroo, Thanks for the info, I'll read the thread and look into adding some additional supports, for peace of mind if nothing else. I'm really looking forward to getting a bigger truck now so we comfortably overnight while on the road in between destination sites with hookups.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmersonTT View Post
We have a 2013 Rockwood 2109s, which is almost identical to the 21FBRS. Our refrigerator door also slid down on our first trip, just missing my wife's toes! The slide motor also pulled loose on that trip. Both problems were fixed under warranty. We have towed 20,000 miles since then, including to Alaska and back, with no issues. We were also warned about the fresh water tank brackets and don't usually drive with more than 1/3rd tank (There are some posts on this forum about this). However, we have filled the fresh water before going into a boondock campground and then driven as far as maybe 100 miles on those occasions with a full tank, with no issues. We never use the slide out bar and have traveled some pretty rough roads with no problem. We love this trailer! It is the perfect size -- big enough to have all the amenities and small enough to get into some great camping spots. Plus, as you noted, you don't need a big tow vehicle to handle this trailer. There are many posts on great mods people have made to this trailer. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we have!
Thanks for the reply Emerson. You made me realize I screwed up my own thread!!! I had been looking at a Flagstaff 21fbrs on epay, very well optioned, for $1,599, seemed like a great deal. I bought it and paid the deposit. A week later I was informed that the one I purchased was different than the last one they had in stock, mine if I still wanted it. I ended up getting a refund, and purchased the sister Rockwood 2109s in Texas. I just confused the models when I wrote the thread. I wish I could edit the title. In any case, it's reassuring to hear of your successful experiences with these issues. I'm very happy with the choice we made.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:25 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to a great community!

As far as the wooden fridge door covers....don't get me started!

We've had problems with both in the two trailers we've owned. (I'm an engineer so it just KILLS me that they would use a thin, plastic strip to hole up about 10 pounds of wood!) In fact, my current wood fridge facing is sitting in the back of my truck along with the two plastic strips...one goes on top and one on the bottom. The strips aren't even broken...the one on the bottom just cannot support the weight.) (Okay, you got me started!)

I don't see any reason to drive around with the water tank empty....at least put 5 gallons in there for rest stops. (I do advice people to drain the water out of the water heater if it's going to sit there longer than a week...after about a week it'll start to stink really bad which is a pain to get rid of....actually the same for the fresh water tank.)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:30 AM   #8
Site Team

I edited your thread title for you. Did I get it right?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I edited your thread title for you. Did I get it right?
Yes, it's correct now, thanks a bunch!
Old 08-22-2016, 09:57 AM   #10

We have 2015 21FBRS. We have not experienced the panel issue you have. Regrading the water though, we did have to get additional supports for our water tanks as it was visibly sagging.

We have used the slide lock once, when our slide mechanism came apart (fixed under warranty) the first night of our vacation. We used since the slide was basically being held in by friction. The wood that slide lock rest in isn't exactly bomb proof so I just don't mess with it. (plus, someone would forgot that we used it and extend the slide)

We love our 21FBRS, its been to Tetons, Yellowstone, Rockies and Smokeys with Very little problems
Old 08-22-2016, 12:52 PM   #11

We have a 2013 2109S and love it. I travel with a full load of water every time I go out. I find it comes in very handy while traveling. I did beef up the brackets holding the tank in place. I got the information from this forum. I also did the slide motor fix that I read here. My trailer toes much better with the weight of a tank of water. We just returned from a 5000 mile trip out to Yellowstone and the Tetons. Wish I was still there. We were on the road almost five weeks had not one problem. You will love the trailer. I also added a second battery which helped a bunch while we were out west.
Tomgky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:46 PM   #12

We have the same trailer and your experience with the slide lock bar is the same as mine although my dealer did encourage me to use it (but I usually don't). As for the water tank we travel with it full however I reinforced one of the brackets due to the fact it was bent from the factory in my opinion the brackets are to thin,if you do fill the tank I would keep a eye on the brackets. I replaced the heavy table with a smaller and lighter one. All in all we like the trailer wish we could use it more. ENJOY YOURS !!!
danc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:36 PM   #13

We have a 2016 1/2 MiniLite 2109s purchased last November. With several trips under our belts I am glad to report no problem with refrig door. Does your model have the optional wood raised panel. Curious.
I travel with the slide out bar in place. No problems yet. Recommended by dealer.
We have only camped with hook up's. Never used water tank yet.
Check your roof. Found several places with gaps in sealant. No leaks yet but repair coming this week.
Best of luck.
Probwrm19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:43 PM   #14

I have a 2014 2109s. Haven't had the refer problem, but I did run into the slide lock problem. In my opinion, you should absolutely use the slide lock. Here's an easy mod I did that allows you to crank down that slide lock as hard as you want: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post949185

Enjoy your new TT!
Mark Ulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
Welcome to a great community!

As far as the wooden fridge door covers....don't get me started!

We've had problems with both in the two trailers we've owned. (I'm an engineer so it just KILLS me that they would use a thin, plastic strip to hole up about 10 pounds of wood!) In fact, my current wood fridge facing is sitting in the back of my truck along with the two plastic strips...one goes on top and one on the bottom. The strips aren't even broken...the one on the bottom just cannot support the weight.) (Okay, you got me started!)

I don't see any reason to drive around with the water tank empty....at least put 5 gallons in there for rest stops. (I do advice people to drain the water out of the water heater if it's going to sit there longer than a week...after about a week it'll start to stink really bad which is a pain to get rid of....actually the same for the fresh water tank.)
Thanks for sharing your tips and experiences. I'll go with 5 gallons in the tank when we are back on the road next time. I almost eager to get back home so I can do some work on the trailer and also optimize the storage and convenience features.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probwrm19 View Post
We have a 2016 1/2 MiniLite 2109s purchased last November. With several trips under our belts I am glad to report no problem with refrig door. Does your model have the optional wood raised panel. Curious.
I travel with the slide out bar in place. No problems yet. Recommended by dealer.
We have only camped with hook up's. Never used water tank yet.
Check your roof. Found several places with gaps in sealant. No leaks yet but repair coming this week.
Best of luck.
Great idea to check dicor sealant on roof...mine had some gaps unfortunately I did not discover until some damage was done
Old 08-23-2016, 10:45 AM   #17

Thanks a bunch to everyone that replied. My to- do list now includes beefing up the crown molding to allow the slide lock to function properly. Better securing the slide motor. Reinforcing/replacing the the water tanks mounts. Checking the roof sealant. And repairing the wood insert fridge doors. This forum is truly a great place to share experiences, tips and repairs with other owners. Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Plains Drifters View Post
Thanks a bunch to everyone that replied. My to- do list now includes beefing up the crown molding to allow the slide lock to function properly. Better securing the slide motor. Reinforcing/replacing the the water tanks mounts. Checking the roof sealant. And repairing the wood insert fridge doors. This forum is truly a great place to share experiences, tips and repairs with other owners. Thanks again.
All of which FOREST RIVER SHOULD HAVE DONE !!
Old 08-23-2016, 06:01 PM   #19

We have towed our 15 2109S about 5000km. Lots of it on rough gravel forestry access roads. Nothing has fallen apart or fell out. We do not use the slide lock. As noted the moulding on top isn't going to hold it secure any how.

We have no water access where we camp. I have filled it once and towed it and you could see how the tank bows. I no longer will fill it past half for longer trips. Anything under an hour I am not as concerned.

On our first trip the plastic potable water drain was sheared off from a rock most likely. It is now a nice brass one.

I have done numerous mods which personalized the trailer more to our needs. I created a thread which lists many of them.

The only thing I wish was the 2109S sat higher up like the 2104. I may add a lift later on as some of our spots have some obstacles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2016, 07:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendofacatahoula View Post
We have towed our 15 2109S about 5000km. Lots of it on rough gravel forestry access roads. Nothing has fallen apart or fell out. We do not use the slide lock. As noted the moulding on top isn't going to hold it secure any how.

We have no water access where we camp. I have filled it once and towed it and you could see how the tank bows. I no longer will fill it past half for longer trips. Anything under an hour I am not as concerned.

On our first trip the plastic potable water drain was sheared off from a rock most likely. It is now a nice brass one.

I have done numerous mods which personalized the trailer more to our needs. I created a thread which lists many of them.

The only thing I wish was the 2109S sat higher up like the 2104. I may add a lift later on as some of our spots have some obstacles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the message. I read your thread on mods, some good tips there, I will put some to use when we get back home.