Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2016, 09:10 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 38
Congratulations on your new RV! Enjoy!
__________________

__________________
2016 Flagstaff Microlite 23FBKS
Toyota Tundra
Harris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:42 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 30
friendofacatahoula, when you said you could see the tank bowing, did you mean the support struts, or the tank itself (or both)? My 2109s tank is bowed between the support struts, but the struts themselves are arrow-straight and appear to be holding very solid, even when I travel with a full tank-- which is not often or for very long, just whenever we boondock, and then only from the closest water point to the campground.
__________________

__________________
2109s - '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel
EmersonTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:25 PM   #23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 16
New Rockwood 2109s Owners - Our First Week on the Road

We are picking up our new 2109S in a couple days and are excited. Bringing it home load it up and take it for a short shake down trip right away. I'm bummed out that they quit installing the front window fiberglass cover in the later model 2017's. Added protection and an awing of sorts.
__________________
Markval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:41 AM   #24
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markval View Post
We are picking up our new 2109S in a couple days and are excited. Bringing it home load it up and take it for a short shake down trip right away. I'm bummed out that they quit installing the front window fiberglass cover in the later model 2017's. Added protection and an awing of sorts.

We just picked up our ordered 2017 last week. I was also concerned about lack of front window cover. I changed my mind now. When you sleep in the bed, you can see the stars with this new setup! With the cover there, it would block it. I think that is a unexpected bonus. We also came from a 2016 Shamrock. Having the glass shower is also a added bonus. The old curtain style we had before left water everywhere! Enjoy your new rig! 
Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1472038830.575879.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  130.2 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1472038850.272716.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  53.8 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1472038862.609621.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  46.5 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1472038881.652620.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  86.1 KB
__________________
wkn4lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:47 AM   #25
Member
 
mkillora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 71
We have a 2012, 2109s and find that it's a GREAT little trailer. That being said, here are some of the major "issues" that we have encountered and addressed over the years. They have all been posted on this site via various posts.
- leak on roof where TV antennae cable goes through roof;
- sagging fresh water tank brackets;
- slide motor bolts ripping out from wallboard;
- braces for front window rock guard pulling out of window frame.

Out of the above list I would suggest that you keep an eye on the fresh water tank brackets as well as the slide motor bolts. We didn't realize we had problems until learning about them from this forum.
Safe & Happy travels!
__________________
mkillora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #26
Member
 
friendofacatahoula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Alberta
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmersonTT View Post
friendofacatahoula, when you said you could see the tank bowing, did you mean the support struts, or the tank itself (or both)? My 2109s tank is bowed between the support struts, but the struts themselves are arrow-straight and appear to be holding very solid, even when I travel with a full tank-- which is not often or for very long, just whenever we boondock, and then only from the closest water point to the campground.


The tank itself bowed. The cross struts seemed to be fine. The tank bowing was more than I would be comfortable with for long trips and sometimes on tougher roads. But that's what we travel sometimes. I have seen tanks split in the past. With them bowing it just reduces ground clearance as well. Maybe minimal but again it's situational for us.

I now stop closer to where we are going to stay and top up. Plus there is no point in dragging extra weight sometimes. We have our water usage figured out as well so it helps us know how much we need before we go for however many days we are going. If we need more than that I can tanker it in my truck in large jugs.


Wow I am not sure how comfortable I would be with no front cover on the new trailers. There used to be some older trailers that had no covers and sure enough ended up with broken windows. I went as far as to add LineX to the front of our trailer. I can show you spots in the line X that goes up half way that has received a rock hit. On the outer edge but still concerning.


The new trailers look great though. We have a 15 and missed out on the new shower surround.

Is the 2017 sitting higher up? Looks like it sits like the dinette 2104 version. The back end looks beveled or it's just the photo.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2015 MiniLite 2109S
2016 Ram 3500 6.7
friendofacatahoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:12 AM   #27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 14
Not sure of height increase. We traded a 2016 Flagstaff Shamrock 19. Here are 2 comparison photosClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1472047909.577064.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	118320Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1472047955.679762.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	118325
__________________
wkn4lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:46 PM   #28
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2
New 2109S owners also

April 2016 we purchased a new 2109S from Santa Rosa RV dealership and we love it so far. Very comfortable and roomy, and my wife likes to cook so the large kitchen area is great for the two of us. We've taken 4 weekend trips so far, and planning on a two-week trip in October. So far there's not been any issues that required maintenance. But we were tent campers so trailer camping is different and has a steep learning curve.

So our trailer has the cover on the front window, which so far has been fine but the finish is different from the rest of the trailer and it picked up some sort of sap deposits which did not stick on the rest of the trailer. So I'm guessing it may weather differently than the trailer. And we have the glass shower doors which are nice, but they need a way to lock open. If trailer is not level, then doors will not stay open (of course we lock it closed when we travel). And the sensor on the black water tank seems to be erratic, but its not really a problem. No issues with fridge door skin. Also we don't use the slide lock, and so far no problems.

I'm glad to find this forum, I will check on our water tank since we usually fill it up before the trip. I was concerned about the added weight to tanker water around, and we might start using a half-tank just to be safe.

Learning curve issues:
* Need wheel chocks at minimum, but wheel locks would be best. Not all campsites are level, and its no fun to be worried the trailer will start rolling away at night. We used some firewood as wheel chocks. Also need to get some wheel leveling pads (the ones that look like lego blocks). And a few extras for the jacks too.
* One battery is really only enough for one night of dry camping (for us). Maybe we are not frugal enough on power. So we are looking at buying a generator/inverter now. Not sure how big, but 2000W seems sufficient.
* All tanks need deodorizers. We got some packets for black water tank, but didn't think about the grey and fresh water tanks. So far we put a teaspoon of bleach and its ok now, but it got pretty stinky before we figured it out.
* Campfires are fun, but the smoke can go straight into the trailer. So we don't always open the roof vents or use the bathroom fan as much as we did when we started.
* We occasionally forget to close the roof vents, or lock all the windows, or lower the TV antenna. So we have a checklist now. Also the glass plate in microwave popped open the door but did not break, so that gets stowed now too.

Questions to the forum:
1. Battery seems to discharge slowly even when everything is off. The inverter has a low battery alarm that went off after about 10 days of storage with no power. Any idea what is drawing power, or should I just disconnect the battery to store the trailer?
2. For connecting a generator/inverter, not sure if we could run 110 volt TV off battery power when generator is turned off. Should we connect generator directly to the battery, or just let the trailer's internal inverter charge the battery and have a second battery dedicated to the generator/inverter for 110 volt usage?
3. We have a sway-bar tow hitch, and the pads for the bars wore down very quickly, so its now metal-to-metal. We are towing with a Ford Expedition which might be a bit low, putting a lot of pressure on the sway bars, but not sure how to fix that. The shocks don't seem to be adjustable.

There is probably a dozen more questions I can't think of right now, but thanks in advance to anyone who responds!
__________________
kbuegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:22 PM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuegel View Post
April 2016 we purchased a new 2109S from Santa Rosa RV dealership and we love it so far. Very comfortable and roomy, and my wife likes to cook so the large kitchen area is great for the two of us. We've taken 4 weekend trips so far, and planning on a two-week trip in October. So far there's not been any issues that required maintenance. But we were tent campers so trailer camping is different and has a steep learning curve.

So our trailer has the cover on the front window, which so far has been fine but the finish is different from the rest of the trailer and it picked up some sort of sap deposits which did not stick on the rest of the trailer. So I'm guessing it may weather differently than the trailer. And we have the glass shower doors which are nice, but they need a way to lock open. If trailer is not level, then doors will not stay open (of course we lock it closed when we travel). And the sensor on the black water tank seems to be erratic, but its not really a problem. No issues with fridge door skin. Also we don't use the slide lock, and so far no problems.

I'm glad to find this forum, I will check on our water tank since we usually fill it up before the trip. I was concerned about the added weight to tanker water around, and we might start using a half-tank just to be safe.

Learning curve issues:
* Need wheel chocks at minimum, but wheel locks would be best. Not all campsites are level, and its no fun to be worried the trailer will start rolling away at night. We used some firewood as wheel chocks. Also need to get some wheel leveling pads (the ones that look like lego blocks). And a few extras for the jacks too.
* One battery is really only enough for one night of dry camping (for us). Maybe we are not frugal enough on power. So we are looking at buying a generator/inverter now. Not sure how big, but 2000W seems sufficient.
* All tanks need deodorizers. We got some packets for black water tank, but didn't think about the grey and fresh water tanks. So far we put a teaspoon of bleach and its ok now, but it got pretty stinky before we figured it out.
* Campfires are fun, but the smoke can go straight into the trailer. So we don't always open the roof vents or use the bathroom fan as much as we did when we started.
* We occasionally forget to close the roof vents, or lock all the windows, or lower the TV antenna. So we have a checklist now. Also the glass plate in microwave popped open the door but did not break, so that gets stowed now too.

Questions to the forum:
1. Battery seems to discharge slowly even when everything is off. The inverter has a low battery alarm that went off after about 10 days of storage with no power. Any idea what is drawing power, or should I just disconnect the battery to store the trailer?
2. For connecting a generator/inverter, not sure if we could run 110 volt TV off battery power when generator is turned off. Should we connect generator directly to the battery, or just let the trailer's internal inverter charge the battery and have a second battery dedicated to the generator/inverter for 110 volt usage?
3. We have a sway-bar tow hitch, and the pads for the bars wore down very quickly, so its now metal-to-metal. We are towing with a Ford Expedition which might be a bit low, putting a lot of pressure on the sway bars, but not sure how to fix that. The shocks don't seem to be adjustable.

There is probably a dozen more questions I can't think of right now, but thanks in advance to anyone who responds!
I have a 2000w inverter and 2 batterys. When the batterys are fully charged I can use the microwave for quick heat ups also we can make a pot of coffee. I wired a dedicated plug to use the coffee maker and a 2 way switch so i can switch the microwave between shore and inverter power. If all you want to do is use the TV you could use a small 100w inverter that plugs into the 12v outlet and the batt. would do just fine. As far as the batt. drain could you just use the batt. disconnect ? Hope this helps.
__________________
danc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:33 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,405
The battery will discharge unless you have/install a battery disconnect switch. Your CO/propane detector is one load that is always on. Brains for the fridge draw power, too.

You should provide manufacturer and model of your hitch if you want someone to help with that question.
__________________

__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009)
2012 Roo19 - hybid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 AM.