Old 08-24-2016, 07:55 PM   #31

Now I am going to have to go look at a 2017. Thanks for the additional photo wkn4lo. Your wheels do not even look to be within the wheel wells unlike our 2015. It's either just the photos playing trickery or they have lifted the new ones. Ours does not sit that high.

Someone mentioned the need for chocks and levellers. Personally I find the Lego block style to be a pain. These are my favourite.

https://www.etrailer.com/Wheel-Chock...en/AM3604.html

There are some videos floating around of how they work. For lighter trailers like the mini lites they are great. Larger trailers I have seen this style sink into the ground a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-24-2016, 08:37 PM   #32
Learning a lot as I go...

When we were shopping in late '15 we noted that the 2109 was the exception in the Rockwood lineup with only 2 level step while almost all of the others had 3 level steps. My theory is that the 2109 actually sits down over the wheels whereas the other models have full decking out over the wheels.

It may be very possible that FR has lifted the 2109 in later versions. They have done so with our 2604WS model. There was a report here of issues on one rubbing the tires because it has the 15" wheel/tire setup without the frame lift kit. Note that ours has 14" wheel/tire setup so there is obviously a change afoot there.

I really liked the 2109S. Seemed like a great trailer for a couple. My DW liked the extra space in the 2604WS though so that is what we came home with.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:41 PM   #33

The reason the 2109 has sat lower than the comparable 2104 is the slide mechanical area rests under the couch and the dinette version must sit higher accommodate that.

For cost savings it would make sense they both sit on the same platform. It will be interesting to see if the new 2109 has in fact changed. I will be raising mine with the dexter lift kit regardless.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:46 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markval View Post
We are picking up our new 2109S in a couple days and are excited. Bringing it home load it up and take it for a short shake down trip right away. I'm bummed out that they quit installing the front window fiberglass cover in the later model 2017's. Added protection and an awing of sorts.
Depending on how late a model you bought, it may have solid surface counters and the newer graphic pkg., those are some nice features. Too bad they quit the rock guard though.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:08 AM   #35

New Rockwood 2109s Owners - Our First Week on the Road

Here are additional pics. You all have me interested in the height thing now. May have to get my WDH system dialed in a little more. It looks a little high in the front in some pics. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1472119695.432722.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	118401Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1472119713.946157.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	118402Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1472119732.054184.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	118403
Old 08-25-2016, 06:15 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkn4lo View Post
Here are additional pics. You all have me interested in the height thing now. May have to get my WDH system dialed in a little more. It looks a little high in the front in some pics. Attachment 118401Attachment 118402Attachment 118403
A great looking Rocky you have there! Something I've learned for leveling is to level her and get the bottom supports down before extending out the slideout. (And, also, to never leave the awning extended at night or if you leave the area....unexpected wind gusts can damage it pretty quickly.)
5-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:17 AM   #37

The pic of mine is sitting a little lower in the front than how I typically tow but I had just filled water tank plus had an additional 50 gallons right at the back of the box with a full load of fire wood as well so it was squatting a bit.

I am going to swing by my trailer today as I need to grab the propane tanks off it for filling and I am going to measure the height at the wheels to the bottom of the trailer. I wonder if they added the torsion spacers to the new ones?

I really like the new graphics. I wish ours had more red in it.

We leave our awning out all the time. With its spring loaded arms it can handle quite a bit of wind. It made me nervous the first wind storm we had and being in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains the wind can get up very high quite quickly. When I watched how it would absorb the wind I was much less concerned. I only retract it now if it's making a bunch of excessive noise.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:24 PM   #38

Great looking trailer! But take heed to ColoradoRick's advice about the awning. The wrong gust of wind will tear it right off your trailer. Don't ask me how I know.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
okiecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:33 PM   #39

If the winds starts whipping at all, our awning comes in. I also bring it in when we leave for awhile. That, and turn off water supply!
Old 08-26-2016, 12:04 AM   #40

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1472184137.190943.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	118463 We picked up our new retirement home today what a sweat trailer. Quality issues are noticeable but nothing I can't fix or live with. It is just a camper Not an Air Force fighter jet. I am a retired aircraft inspector. The PDI I let the wife do it or we would have never got out of there. Lol.