Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #1

New Rockwood 2604 Owner

I've been lurking on this forum for some time now to learn about the Rockwood and the Rockwood community. Liked what I saw so my wife and I took the plunge and recently purchased a 2010 Rockwood 2604 (Ultra Lite). We take possession next week and will immediately take it on a 2 night shakedown cruise about 25 miles from the dealer.

I look forward to being a part of this forum.
SKOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
Arn
Arn

Welcome! DW & I bought a 2604 in October & got out once. Can't wait to get out again, May 24 weekend. We had a lot of little issues but we are de-winterizing in a couple of weeks & hauling it back to the dealer for fix ups. Love the layout & I know we'll be very happy once the little things are fixed. I'm sure you & your wife will be happy too!
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the Forum! If you have questions, you've come to the right place...lots of friendly advice from the members on this site.

Enjoy the new camper.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:08 PM   #4

We have joined the newbie camper team as well

Looks like spring fever is hitting everyone - my wife and I just bought a new Rockwood 8316SS - 3 kids at home - 1 in college - 1 kid on her own with our first grandbaby.

We're going to try to get a shakedown cruise going as well at a local park in town on friday and saturday of easter so we can run to soccer games and wal-mart 10 times for stuff we might need. Looks like the first real campout is late april and we're going to try to run from texas to washington and boston this summer for three weeks and return.

I'm working to understand how to reserve campground spots in texas as sometimes it looks like the parks are completely full every weekend from now till next spring -- not sure if the online systems understand travel trailer 30amp - not rv - not tent.

I'm looking for a canoe or kayak to bring with us so kids can play in the water and streams with extra fun!
Familyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #5

I am sure that you will be happy with your 2604. We also bought a new 2010 model 2604 this year and simply love it. The floorplan is wonderful, and of course there is no such thing as a "perfect camper" so there are a few things we don't like about it. For example, ours has no "central light switch" (you have to go directly to a light to turn it on), most campers have a light switch located close to the front entry way that can turn on several lights at one time. Another thing is ours did not come with "storage lights" inside the storage area, we had to put these in after we bought the trailer. Also not real crazy about the "fold down" shelf on the entertainment center was, as this is the only place that we found to put our "dish satellite" box while viewing the T.V., along with the dinette table being a little unsteady.

Those of course are minor problems and overall we love the camper. Hope you enjoy yours as well.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #6

We have the twin to the Rockwood (2010 FlagStaff 26 RLSS) that we purchased last month and we'll be taking it out this weekend for our first real trip. Interested to see and experiment with all the features.....and it will be nice to be off my property!!

Happy Camping!
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #7

There is a switch at the entry door under the cabinit . It should operate one ficture. The rest operate at the light itself.
michael t cayouette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:16 AM   #8

No mine does not have the switch at the entry door under the cabinet, the only switches there are for the awning, and slide. Don't know why then missed putting one in. Haven't heard if other 2604 owners have the switch installed or not.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Do you have a switch inside for the porch light right by the door? Our 2605 had it and a second switch on the underside of the overhead cabinet over the dinette. The second switch operated a light mounted to the underside of the same overhead cabinet.

If you don't have that set-up, you could wire in a switch under the overhead cabinet to the right on the entry door in your 2604. The overhead cabinet has a false bottom and about 1" air space. Remove the bottom panel inside the cabinet and wire the switch to a light mounted to the underside of the same cabinet. Harderst part will be removing the bottom panel as they normally use a kazillion staples.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #10

I don't have that set up, so I will look into going through the "false bottom" and wiring one up that way. Thanks for the tip, I can't believe they left it out though!
Old 03-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #11

I took delivery of my new 2010 Rockwood 2604 two weeks ago.

The long trip out from Elkhart to CA apparently broke a wire that connected the A/C and furnace to the thermostat. Neither would work, but my local RV service provider fixed the broken wire and replaced a faulty circuit breaker to the battery charger. All was well.

Then this week, I dewinterized the unit and connected to the city water connection and found that the water hose connector to the water filter was leaking. Fixing this today under warranty. One more thing, the light on the front of the trailer near the tongue had a corroded connection which needed to be fixed.

These were simple fixes - hopefully that is all and I can now enjoy this wonderful trailer.
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:54 PM   #12

We have returned from our shakedown trip with our new 2604. We are going to enjoy this trailer.

Our city water connection had a leak, so we had that repaired. Then, when we arrived home, my wife went into the trailer to unload the fridge while I did some things outside. When she opened the fridge door, the front panel slid off. The bottom black plastic panel came off. I was able to put it back into place on a temporary basis, but will need to get that fixed.

Otherwise, all went well. I took pictures of our first outing and will post those as soon as I get settled.

Thanks to all for the welcomes and the comments.

Regards,
SKOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #13

I bought my 2604 in December, near the end of a three month cross country trip in a hard sided pop up. Really like the layout, especially the rear windows! Stayed in it until mid January down in AZ before returning to CO for one of the coldest winters we've had in a while. Next year I must be sure to stay away till March!

One thing I can't figure out, is there a way to manually extend/retract the slide? I've looked and looked but can't find a crank!
Old 04-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #14

I don't know about manually cranking the slide on your rig. On mine, there are holes in the skirting through which you put a tool similar to the stab crank tool and connect to a bolt to manually crank the slides. The holes are on the opposite side of the trailer from where the slide is. For example, the hole for the left side sofa/dinette slide is on the right side under the steps. Hope that helps.

Good luck.
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:20 PM   #15

I also bought a new 2010 Rockwood 2604 and took it out last week for a 4 night "get acquainted" camp out and just had a wonderful time. The only thing I don't like about the camper is the "fold down" shelf under the T.V. We use it to lay the "Dish T.V." unit on and we have to leave it down as there is no other place to put the dish unit, anyway when it is down you see all the wires and it is a bit unsightly, sure wish there was a "counter or shelf" to put the dish unit on but don't see how you could configure one.

If you look underneath your trailer when the slide is out (about where the slide extends over the front left wheel) you will see on the "enclosed belly" a set of about 8 to 10 screws that form sort of a " C ". If you unscrew them and fold down that part you will see your manual crank is located there.

Hope this helps.

Billy
Old 04-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #16

I see screws in kind of a C formation that surround a little plate with a pipe coming through it, is that the spot? Not very convenient if it is!

I don't really need to access it but wanted to know how if I did!

Thanks
Old 04-24-2010, 08:01 PM   #17

That would be it I am sure. I haven't used mine yet but that is where my dealer told me it was. I haven't opened or unscrewed the panel yet to verify just passing along what I was told.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #18
Arn
Arn

It might not be too convenient, but it's dry. The enclosed underbelly might have its shortcomings but to me, the inconvenience isn't one of them. If road grime etc. can't get at the motor then it can't destroy it.
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:54 PM   #19

Good point, but those slide motors seem to have a mind of their on. The main thing is to make sure it is always lubricated. I lubricate my slide out at the start of camping season and then monthly until I hang it up for the winter. Better safe than sorry!
Old 05-02-2010, 03:08 PM   #20

I just found mine and one is under the steps and plainly visible; the other one is inside a small access hole at the end of the trailer near the other steps where the bedroom is. My husband tried them out and it works. A tool was supplied. Surprisingly, it was not hard to turn with the supplied handle. We have the 2010 Windjammer
granny60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2604, rockwood