Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2015, 11:12 PM   #1

New Rockwood mini-lite 2505s

Picked up our new trailer today! This is the first trailer we've owned, and we're very excited. Our Ram 1500 diesel tows it as if there's nothing back there, and averaged 16.4 MPG on the way home in bad traffic.

- Jeff
jheinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:07 AM   #2

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your new Rockwood mini-lite 2505S.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:29 AM   #3

Hi Jeff. We just picked up our 2505s and hope to take it out for the first time in a couple weeks. Have you been enjoying it? Any likes/dislikes so far? What hitch are you using? It's our first TT as well.
thx
RWTT2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:59 AM   #4

Congratulations! We've taken the trailer out 3-4 times so far, and we like it very much! No complaints. It's currently in the shop though, getting one of the rear Windows replaced. A rock hit the edge of it on our way down to Cannon Beach, OR and shattered. You might want to also ensure that the refrigerator access panel on the side is secure, ours blew off somewhat between Oregon and Washington.

We're using an Eaz-lift Wright distribution hitch. It works just fine. The trailer tows beautifully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWTT2505 View Post
Hi Jeff. We just picked up our 2505s and hope to take it out for the first time in a couple weeks. Have you been enjoying it? Any likes/dislikes so far? What hitch are you using? It's our first TT as well.
thx
jheinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:24 PM   #5

Thx for the info. Will keep an eye on the access panel. Enjoy the TT!!
Old 05-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheinen View Post
Congratulations! We've taken the trailer out 3-4 times so far, and we like it very much! No complaints. It's currently in the shop though, getting one of the rear Windows replaced. A rock hit the edge of it on our way down to Cannon Beach, OR and shattered. You might want to also ensure that the refrigerator access panel on the side is secure, ours blew off somewhat between Oregon and Washington.

We're using an Eaz-lift Wright distribution hitch. It works just fine. The trailer tows beautifully.
Do you know if your kitchen sink is connected to your grey or black tank? When we picked up ours, they told us that they had to connect it to the black tank because of the configuration/slide out or something. Didn't sound right but I let it go since it's our first TT and everything makes sense in the beginning. Seems like a bit of a headache since the black tank could potentially fill up quite quickly.
thx
Old 08-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #7

Kitchen Sink to Black Tank

Our 2505s was purchased new June 26th, we took it out over the 4th of July for four nights. After 4 nights our grey tank only measured a third full and the black was full. The exact opposite of a typical 4 night outing in our old 2306 with the same size fresh, grey and black tanks...I drained the tanks didn't think much about it other than the gauges aren't that accurate. Fast forward one month and 5 nights out this past week. A the end of four nights our kitchen sink would not drain and the toilet was FULL (above the trap in the toilet). Grey tank still 1/3 full. This is a family of four with two young girls. Long story short is I took the camper to the dump station and with the wife's assistance ran a serious of tank dump checks. The bathroom tub and sink drain to the grey tank. Hence some water in the grey tank but not the usual amount. The kitchen sink drains DIRECTLY into the black tank, hence 30 gallons of black waste from a family of four in 4 days! This is a construction problem that probably effects all recently built 2505s 2016 models. You won't notice unless you wash a fair amount of dishes and spend more than a weekend out camping. I have spoken with FR, they're not sure what is up but hinted IF I was right in my diagnosis (I'm 100% positive I am) then all the campers made in that batch this spring are constructed with faulty plumbing. All sinks and tubs should drain into the grey tank, only the toilet should go to the black tank and never should the two mix. I'm still unsure if the water backed up in my kitchen sink was protected by a back valve or Not? Serious health issue if not and FR can't say if it was. PS I bought a 2010 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 and loved it with no issues at all, unfortunately this is going to be a major fix.
MiloJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:12 PM   #8

Every drain in your house drains to the same place and there are no "back valves" (except for some washers and dishwashers if your code requires it - mine doesn't). Given your toilet is lower than your sink, I wouldn't worry too much. You'll just need to figure out how to get it moved from the black tank to the grey tank. But looking at your floor plan, it seems odd that they went PAST the grey tank to tie into the black tank.

Also, from other posts I've read on this forum, I believe that there are a number of TT's out there that drain grey water to a black tank, usually related to the floor plan, as mentioned in post #6. Some of the larger TT's with 2 bathrooms have 2 black tanks and one grey, as I understand it. Usually the sink in the bathroom without a shower/tub will drain to the black tank for it's toilet.

(Note that I'm NOT defending FR; just stating some facts I've gleaned from this forum.)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:56 PM   #9

We too purchased a 2016 2505s as our very first TT purchased. Got it in May and after doing some trial runs in the driveway soon learned that the kitchen sink drained into the black tank. Dealership also agreed that didn't seem right. But after multiple conversations with FR they indicate it is plumbed that way by design due to the layout. Would I have purchased this model had I known this up front? Nope. But I do like the overall design and all the storage this TT has. We had multiple other issues with this camper so with it being our first venture into owning a TT we are disappointed but have learned a lot along the way. Overall the camper is nice but quality and workmanship is extremely lacking. However, we stepped up to this from tent camping and can't say enough how much more fun and easier this is to camp out of! We decided to quit worrying about it and just have fun and make memories with the family!
kzootoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:45 PM   #10

What other issues have h had with your 2505s? We've had ours since May as well and so far it's been ok. We've taken it out on about 5 short trips. One complaint we have is that the 2 upper bunk beds are way too close to the ceiling making it close to impossible to sleep up there...but then there are only 4 of us so we use the lower bunks and the Murphy.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:09 PM   #11

When I first learned the kitchen sink was draining to the black tank the first thing I did was started tracing the plumbing. Pulled out the drawers under the kitchen sink and discovered that the panel next to the stove had a huge crackClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1439078009.323416.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	85169

Also the top bunk broke the first time my son used it (125 lbs) luckily he didn't get hurt.

Interior door trim not nailed down and just flopping around.

Ridiculous amount of garbage (screws, scrap wood, dust, etc.) in the hidden areas.

Black tank flush valve wasn't working so I had to remove the panel in cupboard in the bunkhouse and the hose was twisted around like a pretzel.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1439078558.198393.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	85170

Latches on the Murphy bed and in the storage area not even close to lining up with their holes.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1439078644.340447.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	85171

GFCI outlet in the bathroom went bad. Red light on all the time. It's at the dealership now getting that replaced.

TV antenna wouldn't rotate.

I cannot believe my TT made it through quality at the factory! But like I said I have learned a lot along the way and have also learned that this is kind of the norm in the RV industry. Just stinks with it being our first TT purchase after many years of discussing it and finally making the leap to have to deal with all this!
Old 08-09-2015, 10:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzootoolman View Post
When I first learned the kitchen sink was draining to the black tank the first thing I did was started tracing the plumbing. Pulled out the drawers under the kitchen sink and discovered that the panel next to the stove had a huge crackAttachment 85169

Also the top bunk broke the first time my son used it (125 lbs) luckily he didn't get hurt.

Interior door trim not nailed down and just flopping around.

Ridiculous amount of garbage (screws, scrap wood, dust, etc.) in the hidden areas.

Black tank flush valve wasn't working so I had to remove the panel in cupboard in the bunkhouse and the hose was twisted around like a pretzel.Attachment 85170

Latches on the Murphy bed and in the storage area not even close to lining up with their holes.Attachment 85171

GFCI outlet in the bathroom went bad. Red light on all the time. It's at the dealership now getting that replaced.

TV antenna wouldn't rotate.

I cannot believe my TT made it through quality at the factory! But like I said I have learned a lot along the way and have also learned that this is kind of the norm in the RV industry. Just stinks with it being our first TT purchase after many years of discussing it and finally making the leap to have to deal with all this!
That's horrible. Our TV antenna lever did snap off once but that was an easy fix for them...more of a headache having to take it in for the service.
Someone told me that a lot of the final assembly is done by the dealership (not sure if that's true or not) so I'm not sure all your issues existed at the time of the quality check at the factory. When we were looking to buy a TT, a friend (Rockwood owner) let us know to not expect the same quality in workmanship as a car. He used the term 'these things are assembled by monkeys' so expect some issues. The quality of the materials is definitely not there but part of me thinks it's designed that way to keep things light - good excuse to make me feel better .
I've used our black tank flush quite a bit but would be good to know how you accessed the 'pretzel' hose. Is that the one in the cabinet by the bunks on the right hand inside of the cabinet?
Old 08-09-2015, 10:58 AM   #13

Just wondering if everyone received a kitchen sink cover and cutting board with their 2505S?
Old 08-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #14

Just a tip in case you were not told.
I just discovered this past weekend that the TT has a factory installed battery disconnect switch. I came back from a 4 week vacation and my batteries were close on being totally trained. The carbon monoxide detector was beeping due to low battery.
Anyway, called dealer and they said it was below the fridge but I could not find it. After a looking everywhere, I eventually found it in the tongue/A frame under the propane tanks. There is a red key to disconnect the battery when in storage.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:38 PM   #15

Minor issues, the usb charger quit working, though w adapter the cigarette lighter still works. The gas line for our grill was 1" too short, I went to the hardware store and lengthened it by a foot myself, the kitchen sink handle came off in my hand and we never received keys for the bike door in the back. They (FR) have since sent replacements. We are back to the lake for 5 more days this pm, I'm dropping it off to get fixed on Aug 20
MiloJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:43 PM   #16

Yeah I kind of expected some quality issues but not to the extreme of what we have gone through. I live in Michigan and am only about an hour or so from the RV factories along the Northern Indiana border and have been inside a couple of them. I sell power tools and they use the cheapest tools available and slap these things together. I commented to the dealership that as a customer I should have never seen most of these issues as they should have been caught upon their inspection or prep. They told me that is how they used to do it. They would walk the unit then automatically order the parts that needed replacing. But what would happen is a customer would come in to buy a unit and be made aware of the issue or part that
was on order and told to bring it back when the part arrived. Problem was most people wouldn't bring it back and so the dealership ended up with a semi truck load of parts. So the way they do it now is the customer takes it and if they bring up issues then they are addressed at that time. I see their point and I have no issues with the dealership as they have been great to deal with.

The black tank hose is behind that panel on the right hand side inside that cupboard. The panel is just lightly stapled to the wall and I was easily able to just pull it away from the wall. When I get the TT back next week I will probably modify it so it is easier to access.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWTT2505 View Post
Just a tip in case you were not told.
I just discovered this past weekend that the TT has a factory installed battery disconnect switch. I came back from a 4 week vacation and my batteries were close on being totally trained. The carbon monoxide detector was beeping due to low battery.
Anyway, called dealer and they said it was below the fridge but I could not find it. After a looking everywhere, I eventually found it in the tongue/A frame under the propane tanks. There is a red key to disconnect the battery when in storage.
This wasn't mentioned during your PDI?

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:34 PM   #18

Nope...first time I've seen that red key. Batteries are recharged and fine now.

Tags
rockwood